Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Knight Potion
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
joker5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 607
IP: Logged
icon Knight Potion (0)  
A potion that affects Beethro and his sword.

You and your sword move like a knight. If your sword is facing north and you press w, all of a sudden you're looking south-east.

Moving becomes fun. North becomes North by NorthEast, and we go from there for everything else.

This potion lasts for 1 room.
Yes, exiting the room by jumping over the 'wall' would be possible, finally allowing for truly 'hidden' rooms.

Yes, you'll jump over critters.

No, you can't land on a monster and kill it.

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
07-27-2004 at 03:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Knight Potion (0)  
joker5 wrote:
A potion that affects Beethro and his sword.

You and your sword move like a knight. If your sword is facing north and you press w, all of a sudden you're looking south-east.

Moving becomes fun. North becomes North by NorthEast, and we go from there for everything else.

The capacity of such a request restricts movement more than it does enhance it, so it is more likely to be used to hamper you than help. The movement will also make it difficult to manoeuvre Beethro into specific points in the room (although I suspect this is part of the challenge) and also makes it a bit un-intuitive.

Yes, exiting the room by jumping over the 'wall' would be possible, finally allowing for truly 'hidden' rooms.

This gets a big no from me. What is the point of hiding secret rooms entirely? This will just encourage guesswork and people to make holds deliberately hard because you have to guess at the layout of the hold in such rooms. It's already bad enough when Tar is used to hide passages to nearby rooms, or if all the walls are removed from the room's edge. This just makes it worse.

Yes, you'll jump over critters.

If this potion makes you move like a knight, you won't be able to escape from monsters in front of you by jumping over them, since you will land in a square next to them diagonally.

As a request, I like it because it makes movement very unusual and interesting, but it is this, however, that unfortunately detracts from its usefulness, since this movement is not intuitive, it is difficult to plan, it makes monster killing difficult and encourages guesswork rooms where the exit is completely hidden from view.

Overall, I think it's interesting, but not suitable for DROD.

07-27-2004 at 11:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Rank Points: 607
icon Re: Knight Potion (0)  
Ok, so you can't leave rooms by jumping over walls. And although it's nifty, perhaps the part where it affects his sword should be cut. And jumping over critters matters. If Beethro's being assailed by a roach from the south and he's facing north-east, he could easily smite that roach now in an open room.

Or should it just be 30 moves only, and each turn like mimic placement?

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
07-28-2004 at 04:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Knight Potion
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes