Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : English Country Tune
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Bombadil
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 509
IP: Logged
icon English Country Tune (+3)  

Our fellow forumite increpare has released English Country Tune.

The trailer shows some gameplay and in my opinion very original puzzle ideas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbshRb8MJIU

I can't wait to get home this afternoon to try it!

More info/Buy it at www.englishcountrytune.com.
12-02-2011 at 10:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: English Country Tune (0)  
After watching this trailer I still have no idea what it is about...

...yet awesome!

Edit: Played through the first world. If the blurs make your eyes go all wonky wonky set the detail level to "Fastest"; this has also fixed a problem with noticeable delay between keypress and response on my computer.

Game is great, I wonder how many Areas are there in the full version.

[Last edited by skell at 12-02-2011 11:09 AM]
12-02-2011 at 10:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
I picked this one up, and it's pretty neat. I've opened 11 of 17 visible areas, and mechanics get changed up considerably between the different areas. It's maybe a bit disappointing that a bunch of the areas after the demo have only four or five levels to them, and a little extra polish like mouse support probably wouldn't have hurt, but I still like it.

Basically, it takes classic grid-based stuff like sokoban and trapdoor dropping as a starting point, and then moves them into 3 dimensions in not at all the expected way. I'd imagine that if one likes DROD, one would like this as well.

12-02-2011 at 04:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
increpare
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
icon Re: English Country Tune (+1)  
skell wrote:
Edit: Played through the first world. If the blurs make your eyes go all wonky wonky set the detail level to "Fastest"; this has also fixed a problem with noticeable delay between keypress and response on my computer.
Hi there, what are your PC specs? It happens even when the detail level is Fastest? Some people report this, and it's always gone away by turning down the graphical settings.

Edit: oh wait, I misread. I'm an idiot. This fixed your problem. Great. :)

Game is great, I wonder how many Areas are there in the full version.
Thanks. As Dischorran mentioned, there're 17 worlds - the overall level count is something just over 120.

[Last edited by increpare at 12-10-2011 08:20 PM]
12-10-2011 at 11:48 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
And that's a wrap. It doesn't ever quite ramp up to the level of difficulty that I'm used to in DROD, but since it's in 3D, maybe that's a good thing. Absolutely worth playing.

I guess if I had one complaint, it would be that the game adds in an element, touches on a few aspects, and then bounces off to the next one. Sort of like if TCB had one room relying on aumtlich being frozen by mirrors and then it never came up again. (Maybe it did, I don't remember anymore.) By the time I felt like I was out of the tutorial, the game was pretty much over and I was hoping for a dark world or whatever to appear. But hey, I'd much rather have it this way than ~120 levels of sokoban.

The flip side of the complaint? There's plenty more potential here for level pack updates.

Also, I kept wanting to go online to see demos of how other people did the rooms. But not in a "pay yearly fee for ECTNet" sort of way.

12-20-2011 at 10:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
Dischorran wrote:
I guess if I had one complaint, it would be that the game adds in an element, touches on a few aspects, and then bounces off to the next one. Sort of like if TCB had one room relying on aumtlich being frozen by mirrors and then it never came up again. (Maybe it did, I don't remember anymore.)
*coughkingdugansdungeoninvisibilitypotionscough*
12-21-2011 at 05:48 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Picked this up again recently and completed it just now.

This really is an inspired game - I've never played anything like it. It's certainly tough but in a rewarding way. And the interactions between (relatively few) elements is simply genius.

L&W was the toughest I feel, and I agree with Dischorran - I want more of everything! Having said that, I love how certain review sites didn't really review it as they couldn't complete the first open levels. Gauntlet is down :)

At the start the mechanics are mind-boggling - though the controls are intuitive and smooth. This really requires a different way of thinking to progress and by the time you hit the last few levels, you'll actually be thinking in 3D

So yeah - maybe not for everyone, but nor is DROD right? :p

I personally think it's an absolute masterpiece and highly recommend it
12-22-2012 at 10:31 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: English Country Tune (+2)  
http://store.steampowered.com/app/207570/

This game is $0.50 right now during the Steam Summer Sale. If you don't buy it at this price before the sale ends, I encourage you to take a long, hard look at yourself in the mirror and really think about all of the decisions that led you to this point in your life.

06-23-2016 at 09:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : English Country Tune
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com