Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : The Binding of Isaac
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Binding of Isaac (0)  
Skip rooms?

I mean, I guess if you have epic fetus you don't need coins or bombs or keys but generally I do every single room on a given floor because of the potential for drops.

Actually, my favorite thing is the ghost fly poop. Kill everyone in a room, grab the reward drop, hit the poop, run out of the room while the resulting enemy is still there. Room respawns, receive another chance at a drop. This becomes excruciatingly amazing if there's ghost fly poop in a boss room.

The one thing that bugs me about Isaac is that it's a two level game. By the time you're in the Depths/Necropolis, you know whether or not you're going to make it, based on what happened in the first 2-4 levels, unless something absurd happens.

Essentially, if you didn't get the Headless Horseman in the first floor, or that stupid spider, you're probably going to be okay.

06-09-2012 at 09:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fang
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 175
I don't have too much problem with the Widow but the Headless Horseman's bomb spawning is insane now, it happens every second.

Skipping rooms can be incredibly overpowered if you're gunning to take no damage from a set of two rooms like the Womb/Utero. I'll definitely try it if I ever get it on Caves/Catacombs since it's my last set of 2 that I don't have the untouched achievement.

I personally don't do the poop fly thing since it seems like an unintended bug. And I kind of like how you can pick the game up during a break, play a bit of it, either succeed or die, then you can just come back to it later on. I think Edmund McMillen said that the game is definitely beatable even with the worst items, except you're going to have a much harder time obviously. Lemon Mishap...

06-10-2012 at 05:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Last I heard, Lemon Mishap lets you reuse boss rooms if you leave while the puddle's still up.
06-10-2012 at 08:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fang
I thought that bug had been corrected about a week after it became public knowledge or something like that. Only found lemon mishap twice so I don't know.

06-11-2012 at 05:15 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Banjooie wrote:
Skip rooms?

I mean, I guess if you have epic fetus you don't need coins or bombs or keys but generally I do every single room on a given floor because of the potential for drops.
I generally do every room, but depending on my situation in later levels (Cathedral/Sheol usually), skipping becomes really beneficial as the work:reward ratio gets smaller.

The one thing that bugs me about Isaac is that it's a two level game. By the time you're in the Depths/Necropolis, you know whether or not you're going to make it, based on what happened in the first 2-4 levels, unless something absurd happens.
Eh, there are just a few items I'd put into the "Welp, if I lose I need to uninstall this game forever". As a general rule, I've had issues in later levels when I thought I should be cruising to victory far more often than I would like to admit.

Essentially, if you didn't get the Headless Horseman in the first floor, or that stupid spider, you're probably going to be okay.
I HATE SPIDERS SO MUCH!

Also, I've beat Isaac with all the characters now. I just have four challenges to do still, and then the tedious task of finding all the items.

06-11-2012 at 04:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Spiders seem horrible at first glance, but there's a trick, and it's the wider trick to fighting the spider boss. When the spider boss moves, it will be to where you are, right now. So move, then fire a few times, then move. It becomes a strange little walts, not entirely unlike Satan's Hooves.

...Which four challenges?
06-12-2012 at 11:36 AM
Fang
Also, I don't think it's been mentioned yet but there's a let's player with over a hundred and eighty episodes of Binding of Isaac, Northernlion on youtube.

06-12-2012 at 04:08 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Banjooie wrote: ...Which four challenges?
It was the spider one, Meat-4-Evar, Isaac Was Good Today, and the Purist. As of today, it's just the Purist I have left, and then I need to unlock the real final boss, but that's going to be a matter of luck more than anything.

06-12-2012 at 09:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Purist isn't as bad as it sounds, you basically have keys for the shop every single round, if you can keep up a reliable source of income or get an early map then you probably won't even notice the lack of treasure rooms.
06-12-2012 at 10:38 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Banjooie wrote:
Purist isn't as bad as it sounds, you basically have keys for the shop every single round, if you can keep up a reliable source of income or get an early map then you probably won't even notice the lack of treasure rooms.
Oh, for sure. And considering the fact that pretty much every secret Cathedral room I've been to has had Epic Fetus, I'm not too worried.

It's getting the alternate version of the cathedral boss that's potentially the most time consuming.

06-12-2012 at 11:43 PM
Fang
I think the "leave a poop fly alive and exit the room" glitch has been fixed. If the room has been cleared and more enemies spawn (spiders from a chest, etc.) it will no longer reset.

Edit: I also really don't like how Golden God overrides the normal Wrath of the Lamb main menu screen. I've seen screenshots of the other screens (puzzle piece, the last normal screen, etc.) and I'd like to see those, getting a little bit tired of the big muscly Isaac for now.

[Last edited by Fang at 06-15-2012 02:53 PM]
06-15-2012 at 02:51 PM
Banjooie
I would note that their 'fix' to the problem also means that on a challenge room in the basement, if flies spawn, it will also immediately spawn the second round at the same time.

MCMILLLEEEEEN
06-17-2012 at 08:23 AM
Fang
There's a big truckload of content coming in very soon, as you can see on Steam there are about 8 new achievements...

As of June 18, I am the proud owner of Platinum God! Huzzah.

[Last edited by Fang at 06-19-2012 01:09 AM]
06-17-2012 at 01:06 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Reviving this thread like the undead version of a boss.

If you've played Isaac many times and think you've squeezed enough replay value out of it, today I hope to change your mind. I give you: Custom Challenges. All of these are tested personally by me and found to be entertaining. Strategy hints in secret tags.

Lord of the Flies - Vanilla Version
Setup: Start with 2x Halo of Flies, Distant Admiration, Forever Alone, Skatole, The Poop! No treasure rooms.
Comments: It's everything Lord of the Flies wasn't. Except fun. Fun they have in common.
Click here to view the secret text

Laser Focus
Setup: Start with Technology 1, Technology 2, Magneto. No treasure rooms.
Variant: Add Robo-Baby for MAXIMUM LASER but less focus.
Comments: No real strategy - it's just a decent item combo, like some official challenges. You may wish to go for Satan instead of Isaac, but I've never had a big problem with Isaac. Magneto is included because that way all the wires on Isaac's head are connected and he looks like a cyborg. :D

99 Problems
Setup: Money = Power, Sack of Pennies, A Dollar! No treasure rooms.
Variant: No Sack of Pennies. Less money mo' problems. That's how that song goes, right?
Comments: Isaac is a baller! The name reflects the amount of cash you start with, as well as the fact that if you spend too much of it your attack power will drop.

Pure Poison, or Poison Running Through My Veins
Setup: Common Cold, The Virus, Black Bean, Bob's Curse, The Bean. No treasure rooms.
Comments: I wanna love you but I better not touch... Don't undercook your kidney beans, kids.

Barf of Damocles, AKA The Banjooie Special
Setup: Spoon Bender, Ipecac, My Reflection. Yes, you can have treasure rooms. You'll need them. Start as Cain, because you'll need the luck and the key.
Comments: Yes, this is possible. It's probably the most fun I've had in an Isaac run in a while, too - the Chest was crazy. The name comes from the way this odd item interaction makes the explosive vomit shots hang over the enemy's head and slowly float down (unless they lose the scent and head back for you!) Banjooie stumbled upon this while doing one of his livestreams (skip to 46:40) and promptly died because he also grabbed Cupid's Arrow. Note that the challenge uses Spoon Bender instead because without already increased speed, the shot slowdown from Sacred Heart makes things near impossible.

Think Fast, or No Two Rooms the Same
Setup: 3 Dollar Bill, Liberty Cap trinket, Rainbow Baby, Monster Manuel[sic]. Treasure rooms present.
Comments: Still trying to think of a good title for what is definitely a fun challenge. Initially I conceived this as a "randomness challenge", but what it actually works out to be is an exercise in quickly adapting to new combat conditions. Even more so than the unaltered game.

So now that you've read all these crazy ideas, you're probably wondering how the heck you implement them. Well, you're going to have to cheat. Yes, no two ways about it, you cannot do this in the game without a bit of external help. I use Cheat Engine with the cheat table attached here. You can have one item added each time you enter a room - this means you will have to do the first room outside the terms of the challenge. For "no treasure rooms", start a Purist official challenge - you can temporarily give yourself We Need to Go Deeper to get to Sheol, if needed. To give yourself cards, trinkets, or other pickups, you'll need to give yourself the deck of cards and use the "deck of cards gives x" series of cheats. You can also guarantee getting any curse or lack thereof that you want, and can force a miniboss room to spawn on every level. Finally, infinite HP and item power cheats can save you time when exploiting the battery.

More custom challenges to come as I invent and try them!

[Last edited by Jatopian at 03-25-2013 04:38 AM]
08-21-2012 at 04:45 AM
Banjooie
I didn't die because I had piercing. I died because I didn't have flight. Piercing just made it...more fun.
08-21-2012 at 06:46 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I've added a new challenge to my previous post. It's poison themed!

I've also got another new challenge worked out. All it needs is a decent title. Initially I was thinking it would be themed as a "randomness challenge", but what it actually works out to be is an exercise in quickly adapting to new combat conditions. The setup is that you start with 3 Dollar Bill, Liberty Cap trinket, Rainbow Baby, and the Monster Manuel[sic] activated item. Treasure rooms are present.
So, anyone think of a good name for this challenge?

I have two more challenge ideas percolating, but I'm probably going to need to do a little alteration of the existing cheats before I can try them out.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 08-29-2012 06:12 PM]
08-29-2012 at 06:07 PM
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
icon The Basement Collection (0)  
The Basement Collection, a collection of 9 award winning indie games from the creator of Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac, is now available on Steam!

The Basement Collection includes:
Aether ( an exploration adventure game )
Time Fcuk ( a dark puzzle game )
Spewer ( a physics based platformer )
Meat Boy ( the super meat boy prototype )
Grey Matter ( an anti shooter )
Coil (an experimental game )
Triachnid (a physics based spider sim)
The collection also features 2 secret unlockable games and tons of unlockable comics, sketch books and even never before scene stock footage from Indie Game: The Movie.

Additionally, if you previously owned Super Meat Boy, The Binding of Isaac, or Gish on Steam, you'll receive 30% off for a limited time!
Seemed like a good idea to post this in this thread. :unsure
$3.99
Windows and Mac
Here's the link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/214790/

[Last edited by Lamkin at 08-31-2012 06:33 PM]
08-31-2012 at 06:28 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
And because rebooting things is all the rage these days Nicalis is going to remake it for consoles and PC without it being Flash-based...

12-01-2012 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Camwoodstock
Rank Points: 112
icon Re: The Binding of Isaac (+1)  
Well, it's been awhile, Rebirth AND the Afterbirth DLC have came out, and we're nearing the Afterbirth+ DLC. I also have the game.

So why not bump this, I guess? I've gotten 100% completion on Azazel and (Rebirth secret related spoilers)
, and close to it on Eden and Isaac.

Then DROD:GatEB distracted me in terms of Steam games and now I'm here. :P

Her/him | & | Steam | Backloggery
10-09-2016 at 12:58 PM
Himloia
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
It's good for me