Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : The Binding of Isaac
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1909
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Binding of Isaac (0)  
On Friday I managed to complete all of the no damage runs as well as pick up the Golden God achievement. Those seeking interviews should contact my agent.

11-06-2011 at 07:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1613
So, that Magdalene run I just did? Completely cash.

Spent most of the game with decent damage, except I got broke and then Money = Power. So, wow, my attack drops into the gutter. I struggle my way through Depths 2, and in Womb 2, finally...I find an arcade. I've made about 30 coins at this point, so I can still kill things, just barely. My fire rate is absurd, that's the only reason I can even--

I get a dollar.

Oh my god /I got the dollar/. I am now blinking tears of unstoppable blood.

I also have Dead Sea Scrolls in Sheol, which was looking to be a horrible grind. ..Then it procs Teleport. ..And teleports me directly into the boss room.

Satan didn't stand a goddamn chance against splitting 10-power shots and my FOREVER ALONE fly.

I love this game.

11-21-2011 at 09:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2322
It sounds like delusions of a drunken maniac who just recently picked on drugs...

...I wonder if it will work on my computer.

11-21-2011 at 09:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
My friend, it is a game where you will find yourself crying at enemies up until you get your laser eye. Alternately, you might just start spitting chocolate milk at them, or vomiting endless streams of blood.

If you do really well, you can make your mom step on her own eye.
11-21-2011 at 09:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 581
icon Re: The Binding of Isaac expansion (+1)  
An Isaac expansion is in the works: Wrath of the Lamkin Lamb

(I've known about this for a little while...figured I'd post it for others who may not know. Carry on.)

[Last edited by Lamkin at 04-20-2012 06:13 PM]
04-20-2012 at 06:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
So, anyone who has Golden God? How did you grind it?

The most efficient method I found involved a 9 volt, a battery, a D6, and a shop with two items in it, and two hours later I still hadn't got one of my four remaining items.
04-20-2012 at 07:51 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1909
What are your four remaining items? Not every item will appear in a shop. Some are boss drops, or some will only appear under certain circumstances. This page has some good info.

I also discovered a bug which I used to great effect. I don't know if it's been fixed or not yet. If you ever find Guppy in a playthrough, you're in luck.

1. Acquire Guppy.
2. Defeat a boss.
3. Don't pick up the dropped item.
4. Kill yourself with a bomb.
5. Respawn outside the boss lair.
6. Fight the boss agsin! Get another drop!
7. Repeat while you still have extra lives.

All items dropped in this manner will stack on top of previously dropped items, and the most recently dropped item will be the one that you pick up. That means that if a Pony drops, every item underneath it cannot be collected. To solve that problem, collect items as soon as you re-enter the boss room. It's a judgment call whether or not you want to pick up health drops when they show up, since they will not stick with you when you respawn, due to the nature of Guppy.

The Bandage can only be acquired by collecting four meat cubes. That means fighting four Horsemen. This boss-respawn trick will let you acquire that item, no sweat.

04-20-2012 at 08:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Okay, I'm missing the Necronomicon, Mom's Contact (It's unlocked, mind you), the Spider Bite, and the Pinking Shears.

The last one is...ahlsdhasldfhasdf I still have to die 20 more times for that one.
04-21-2012 at 01:40 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1494
I got Golden God way before I got Dark Boy, let me tell ya.

04-21-2012 at 04:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3014
I got Golden God before Spelunker Boy <_< (and never really tried to get those achievements afterwards)

Ended up farming the first level item room with a D6 and lots of restarting for the last few items.

btw: not sure if they fixed it yet, I got Golden God early with one item missing because the christmas update added coal, and the achievement item count wasn't increased accordingly.

[Last edited by Doom at 04-21-2012 05:19 PM]
04-21-2012 at 05:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1927
All achievements 100%-ed for me. Played the crap out of that game.

It;s just a matter of luck. D6 helps.

04-21-2012 at 09:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
I got womb boy before I got dark boy, honestly, mostly because Brimstone is a free 'don't take damage for this level' item.

Yeah, I guess I can sit there with a D6 and die ..16 more times?

04-21-2012 at 09:26 PM
Lamkin
I finally got Golden God a couple of months ago. Hardest item for me to get was the Forget Me Now pill...unlocking that by completing Sheol with ??? was reeeally difficult...all the other items weren't nearly as hard to get as that one.

The Necronomicon and Spider's Bite shouldn't be too hard to unlock, I'd think. But finding an item I'd unlocked...I would just keep restarting if it didn't appear in the Basement.

[Last edited by Lamkin at 04-21-2012 09:55 PM]
04-21-2012 at 09:42 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1216
This is the kind of thread that if our parents stumbled across would convince them the internet is a cult :)
04-22-2012 at 01:59 PM
Banjooie
Honestly, ??? isn't so bad. You play defensively. If you get an early nail, it's pretty easy. If you get an early nail, a 9 volt, and a battery like I did? You play defensively and you're /basically/ invincible by the end of the game.

I have the necromnomicon and spider bite /unlocked/, it's just they never show up, and I already spent like two hours rerolling the basement.
04-22-2012 at 08:47 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1841
I wonder if this game has, like, a derandomizer of some sort out there.

04-22-2012 at 09:02 PM
Lamkin
quote:
Banjooie wrote:
Honestly, ??? isn't so bad. You play defensively. If you get an early nail, it's pretty easy. If you get an early nail, a 9 volt, and a battery like I did? You play defensively and you're /basically/ invincible by the end of the game.

I have the necromnomicon and spider bite /unlocked/, it's just they never show up, and I already spent like two hours rerolling the basement.

I'm probably not one of the better defensive players out there, but I'm not too shabby anymore, either. Still, I usually need to have a fairly steady supply of Soul Hearts in order to get very far with ???.
But that final run I'd had with ???, though I'm almost positive I didn't have either the 9 Volt or the Battery, I had, among other things, maximum damage and tears, Transcendence, Halo of Flies, The Relic, Little Gish, Little Steve, and a Cube of Meat that spit blood shots, so I was pretty much invincible at the end.

Yeah, I figured you had both of those items unlocked. If it helps, I see that the Isaac Wiki says that Spider's Bite will only appear in a Secret Room. The Necronomicon pops up more often in a Devil Room, I think.

[Last edited by Lamkin at 04-23-2012 12:54 AM]
04-23-2012 at 12:29 AM
gamer_extreme_101
The most fun I've had with this game is doing speed run competitions live with a couple of friends. Basically, everyone joins a voice server like TS3 or something, and you race to see who can beat Mom first. It's incredibly luck based, and you need to get in the mindset that finding the boss room early is higher priority than finding items most of the time, but it's great fun.

04-23-2012 at 04:20 PM
Banjooie
There. Finally got Golden God.

There's something kind of innately glorious that Spider Bite was the first thing I unlocked, and yet the last thing I actually got.
04-25-2012 at 08:55 AM
gamer_extreme_101
quote:
Banjooie wrote:
There. Finally got Golden God.

There's something kind of innately glorious that Spider Bite was the first thing I unlocked, and yet the last thing I actually got.
Just in time to do it all over again for the expansion!

04-26-2012 at 11:10 PM
Banjooie
Yes, well D:
04-27-2012 at 05:19 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2928
The expansion was released yesterday. I only played one game so far, but there's some cool new stuff.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-30-2012 at 01:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
quote:
Oneiromancer wrote:
The expansion was released yesterday. I only played one game so far, but there's some cool new stuff.
I've been playing the crap out of it, and I'm generally enjoying it. I'm finding though that some really really good items are fairly common now - finding an item that gives you transcendence is too easy, and really good items like the Prayer card are fairly common in shops, and basically guarantee you get a new full heart at the end of each level.

Still a good pack - have beat the new "final" boss with three of the characters, and still have to beat it with four more (I am not looking forward to doing it with Blue Boy)

05-30-2012 at 05:20 PM
Banjooie
Well, if you're worried about the game being easy, I highly recommend some of the challenges, which seem to eliminate treasure rooms in many cases.
05-30-2012 at 08:53 PM
gamer_extreme_101
quote:
Banjooie wrote:
Well, if you're worried about the game being easy, I highly recommend some of the challenges, which seem to eliminate treasure rooms in many cases.
I don't think I am *ever* saying that. :P Game is still hard, it's just really easy to get transcendence.

Challenges seem kind of mediocre though. The Doctor's Revenge one is a free pass, and you unlock the Mega Fetus, which is probably the most powerful weapon in the game.

I am loving IPECAC though. Really good once you figure out the arc, just don't combine it with My Reflection or you've pretty much doomed yourself.

[Last edited by gamer_extreme_101 at 05-30-2012 08:56 PM]
05-30-2012 at 08:55 PM
skell
Rank Points: 2322
While the update is nice, I was pretty dissatisfied with steam during my purchasing of the update. Anyhow, I have died half a dozen times and left the game for some other day :P. I certainly like the increased variety in graphics.

05-30-2012 at 09:03 PM
Banjooie
Doctor's Revenge is a free pass if you're very good at the bomb thing. There are some circumstances where it is the worst.

Ipecac is fun but lordy I would kill to shorten that arc.
05-31-2012 at 07:01 AM
Fang
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 174
Epic Fetus.

That's all I have to say.

No, actually, there's more. I've sunken over 120 hours in that game and I'm maybe 20 items or so away from Platinum God.

[Last edited by Fang at 06-08-2012 11:30 PM]
06-08-2012 at 11:29 PM
Banjooie
Epic Fetus is like, reallyreally good? I'm not saying it's not good, but it's not actually the best DPS possible.
06-09-2012 at 10:35 AM
Fang
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 174
quote:
Banjooie wrote:
Epic Fetus is like, reallyreally good? I'm not saying it's not good, but it's not actually the best DPS possible.

If you have flying also, you can pretty much dodge everything. You can find secret rooms without the use of bombs and skip rooms that give you a headache for free. Not to mention those X-marks-the-spot rocks, and dealing with knights without much trouble. You can command where the explosions will arrive too. I find it to be the best item personally.

[Last edited by Fang at 06-09-2012 02:00 PM]
06-09-2012 at 01:58 PM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : The Binding of Isaac
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No