Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : i love drod (advice)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
donnalouise
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 40
IP: Logged
icon i love drod (+1)  
i love drod, i played the trial years ago, but have only just brought JTRH, im having loads of fun, although it can be frustrating and am only on level 15, i feel like it has taken over my life!!! my question,

how much does it cost for caravel net?

are there any demos of other drod games?

and what other drod games are there?? are is there an order they should be played, story line???

you can tell im new

any information welcome, thanks :thumbsup
09-14-2011 at 12:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
west.logan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 608
icon Re: i love drod (+3)  
I don't think you can do better than read Jacob's excellent guide for beginners:

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=28303

However, just by way of quick explanation, there are hundreds of holds made by users, many easy, many difficult, many fun and others not so fun. Jacob gives some good recommendations in his guide. Just check out the "Downloads" link at the top of the page, and then go to the "Holds" link at the bottom of the downloads page.

Also, each of the official games has a level editor and talented individuals made games using those editors. However, only games made prior to or for that game can be played in that game.

So for example, you can play any Architect Edition (AE) or Journey to Rooted Hold (JtRH) hold that people have made if you own JtRH. That's a good amount. But you cannot play The City Beneath (TCB) or any of the holds made using that editor, because it is newer. So it's best to buy TCB (the latest official DROD platform) so you can play any previous hold. However, you would have still had to buy JtRH to play it (but you can import it into TCB).

As to what order to play, I think you picked a good one to play first. There are many choices after that, or before you even finish that one there are other holds that will help you hone your skills.

All best to you and welcome to the forum!

09-14-2011 at 01:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
donnalouise
icon Re: i love drod (0)  
i now feel more confused than ever!!! lol

what would be a good game to buy after i finish JTRH???

not sure how to use the other stuff you can download for free??? do i need to download something else to run that on???

there's just so many drod games, to download / buy, totally confused???!!!???

:frusty
09-14-2011 at 12:03 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
icon Re: i love drod (+2)  
For now I'd actually recommend that you stick with owning JtRH. You don't have to finish it right now though.

Go to "Downloads" on the top of this page (underneath the forum logo)

At the bottom of the downloads page, click "Holds"

Now you can see all of the holds. By clicking on the name you can download it. However, having a copy of JtRH means you can only download and play JtRH holds and AE holds. (under the "version" column, the ones with a picture of Beethro are TCB holds, you can play any besides those, or basically any one with a picture of a sword).

Once it is downloaded, start up JtRH. Go to start a normal game but instead of doing "continue", go to "change location".

Inside here you can choose to "Import", so import and select the hold you downloaded. Go back to the main screen and start a new game and you'll be playing it. If you ever want to pick up your progress in JtRH where you last left off, just go into "change location" again and select JtRH from you holds list (no importing required).

Feel free to explore all the free holds. Many are difficult and many are easy.

Oh, and Caravelnet subscriptions are something like $12.99 for the year if I remember correctly (my work blocks the main site so I can't check).

As far as story line, I'm honestly not really sure. There is AE (or King Dugan's Dungeon), JtRH and TCB, which I think are in chronological order. Then there are several smitemaster selections (available for purchase) that continue the story in various places. I'm sure there is a thread around here somewhere...

09-14-2011 at 01:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
donnalouise
thank you that clears a lot up for me, you have been most helpfull

:thumbsup

untill next time :blush
09-14-2011 at 02:00 PM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
icon Re: i love drod (+1)  
If you want to be able to play any of the user made holds, you should download the demo of The City Beneath, the most current game/game engine, available on this page. Click the "play now" link. Once you've got that, you can play through the demo (and tutorial) to experience some of the new game elements (and there are quite a few.)

After that (or during, if you get stuck) I'd suggest downloading some user made holds from the Holds page west.logan mentioned. You can click on the Headers like Architect, Difficulty/Rating to sort them in different ways. Clicking once will sort them in one order; a second time for reverse order. I find this most helpful under Difficulty/Rating; the red balls indicate "brains" (difficulty), the gold bar indicates "enjoyability" (rating). Keep in mind everyone has different ideas of what's difficult or fun, so your mileage may vary.

Have fun and don't hesitate to ask for help or more recommendations. There are also a few recommendation topics lying around the forum somewhere.
09-14-2011 at 02:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
donnalouise
thanks x
09-14-2011 at 03:11 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : i love drod (advice)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com