Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : DROD Smilies/Emoticons (Beethro finds his way into the forums!)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon DROD Smilies/Emoticons (+2)  
Well, since I'm the guy doing the graphics, put all suggestions for emoticons here. All is not as easy as it sounds, though. To avoid confusion, I have a couple of guidlines that I ask you to follow.

1. Be specific. Please don't just say "Beethro killing enemies" as that could be interpreted as 1000s of things. Instead, say "Beethro moving West while killing roaches and evil eyes". That isn't frame by frame specific, but it's enough to give me something to go on.

2. I'm setting the size limit at 3x3 tiles square or 4x2 in a rectangle going either direction. That may change, depending on what sizes Schik or Erik want, but for now, don't go any bigger than that, and the smaller the better.

3. All the basics are covered, meaning all enemies will be, for sure, at least doing a 360 and blinking, such as the roach posted later in this thread. If you have another idea different then that, post it here.

4. Please, please, please don't start trashing other peoples ideas no matter how bad they are. I will try as many ideas work and make them actual graphic as I possibly can, but time will be my biggest enemy. If I find the idea doesn't work, I will talk to that person and either tell him/her that OR try to find ways to make it better. Everyone deserves a fair chance.

5. All icons will be in traditional DROD view, but, if you ask, I may be able to make side views/alternate views. If you do not specify, I will assume traditional overhead.

6. As I finish them, I will be posting them one this board unless the moderators want to preview them first. If you have any comments on them, you can PM me, email me(gamer_extreme_101(A)hotmail.com), or post them on the board.
#1 - :roach [14x14 pixels] -Download

Overhead roach turns 360o, then blinks. Just a quick show of what you can do with the GeneralBitmaps.bmp file and a bit of creativity! It's compiled of 10 jpgs and is set to a speed of 10 ms(miliseconds).

#2 - :slashfest [42x42 pixels] -Download
Beethro turns 360 degrees while killing 8 monsters. A bloodtrail is left behind him as he turns. Good for the architecture forum when you need a clever way to tell someone that a room is a slashfest, or to describe what a hectic day you've had! Compiled with 8 jpgs and set to a speed of 16 ms.

Be creative! Get all those creative juices flowing out of you! Remember, there is no limit to ideas except your imagination!

-Patrick

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-20-2004 at 01:07 AM GMT: Added #6]

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-20-2004 at 03:11 PM GMT]

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-20-2004 at 07:18 PM GMT: Added Two previous files]

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-24-2004 at 07:17 PM GMT]

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-24-2004 at 08:20 PM GMT]

07-20-2004 at 02:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101

File: Neather2.GIF (3.9 KB)
Downloaded 340 times.
License: Other
icon Re: DROD Smilies/Emoticon Suggestions (+3)  
*YAWN* Stupid Allergies. My allergy to grass kept me up all night, leaving me extremly tired.:( Oh well, life goes on.

Well, I finished making a quick one after my 3 hours of sleep. Just a quick Neather one.

#3 :neather [14x28]
After doing a 360, he hits the orb below him. Nothing extremly fancy, just the basic Neather one as I promised to make.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-22-2004 at 04:51 PM GMT]

07-20-2004 at 03:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101

File: Tar Mother Transparent.GIF (12.2 KB)
Downloaded 348 times.
icon Re: DROD Smilies/Emoticons (+3)  
#4 - :tarmother [56x28]

This huge 23 frame graphic involves Beethro clawing his way through tar. Tar babies spawn, but Beethro kills them all. Hard to describe, so just download it for yourself!

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-22-2004 at 04:22 PM GMT]

07-20-2004 at 04:14 PM
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
icon Re: DROD Smilies/Emoticons (+2)  
I know! Do Beethro placing a mimic behind him and getting killed.

07-20-2004 at 04:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101

File: Rqueen1.GIF (5.3 KB)
Downloaded 540 times.
#5...and last update of the morning - :queen [28x28]

Basically, it's a roach queen spawning roaches. Hooray for simple!

As for this:
masonjason suggested:
Ha! You got it! So weird, yet so funny.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-22-2004 at 04:24 PM GMT]

07-20-2004 at 04:56 PM
gamer_extreme_101

File: Mimic Transparent.GIF (6.4 KB)
Downloaded 630 times.
masonjason wrote:

Done. One of my better ones too...

#6 :mimicdeath [42x28 pixels]

After grabbing a mimic, Beethro places it behind him and dies. I had a problem with the first 4 frames with the bolts and the mimic. Since the mimic is supposed to fade from transparent to solid and back, it looks really bad (In my opinion, but I'm a perfectionist :? ). The bolts were the other problem, as they are supposed to be animated too. If anyone doesn't like it, I will try to add some more frames to the start.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-22-2004 at 02:17 AM GMT: Added Transparency]

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-22-2004 at 02:19 AM GMT]

07-20-2004 at 08:12 PM
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
icon Re: DROD Smilies/Emoticons (0)  
Heheh, your mimic death animation is great.

07-20-2004 at 11:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Take masonjason's idea: It was bizarre and weird, but it worked and provided me with a couple of laughs.
And it will be a good complement to a post describing some action you took that had bad results for you. For example...

"I reinstalled DROD but forgot to export my player file first so now I can't edit any of my holds!!!!! "

-Erik

07-20-2004 at 11:19 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838

File: Accelerated Tar.gif (18.4 KB)
Downloaded 90 times.
Inspired by the tar "smiley"/animation, I decided to try to have a go at making one myself.

It's a depiction of what you get when Beethro becomes very sloppy and aggravates the Tar Mother.

Ignore the name - it was originally meant to be a super-fast Tar Mother, but I changed subject matter after the first few frames.

Oh, and some of the splatters may look a bit odd. Sorry about that - I'm not too good at rendering them in such small resolution.

Edit - I forgot to mention this - It's a bit big for the size of a normal smiley, so I suppose you could just append it to the bottom of a post.

[Edited by agaricus5 on 07-20-2004 at 10:35 PM GMT]

07-20-2004 at 11:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101

File: Dope2.GIF (3.3 KB)
Downloaded 777 times.
Nice job on the tar Wesley....I'm curious as to what programs you used for it, though.

Anyways, another update. I'm skipping on the basic ones now because I can't see a lot of good use for them yet. I am however doing a couple of more clever ones. Take my next one:

#8 :doh OR :whack [42x28]

After you see Beethro swinging his sword a couple of times, the Neather, who is behind him, whacks him on the head and Beethro says "D'oh!".

"I had ONE enemy left in the room - a single roach! And it killed me!!!

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-22-2004 at 02:33 AM GMT]

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-30-2004 at 04:18 PM GMT]

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-30-2004 at 04:19 PM GMT]

07-21-2004 at 05:25 PM
agaricus5
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Nice job on the tar Wesley....I'm curious as to what programs you used for it, though.

All it required was Paint and a GIF animator. The nasty bit was getting the blobs to animate. I had to have several Paint windows open so that I could compare the previous frames to the present one, so I could position the blobs. It didn't come out very nicely, however.

07-21-2004 at 05:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
I do mine a bit more complicated. I origionally used 'Articons' for drawing and Microsoft GIF Animator, but they each had problems I didn't like.

I then switched over to Axialis IconWorkshop 5 (I use Icon editors for their pixel by pixel editing). Unfortunately, the program doesn't save to JPG, meaning that I draw out each frame, save it as an icon, then copy and paste into MS Paint where it gets save to JPG.

I now use GIF Construction Set Professional for animation. I've used other animators, but I haven't like the range of delay for each frame.

Thanks for that info anyway.

Edit: Well, I used to do that, until I realized that JPG sucks! :P (See posts below) The process is basically the same, except the files in MS Paint are saved as Bitmaps.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-21-2004 at 08:05 PM GMT]

07-21-2004 at 05:54 PM
agaricus5
You just gave me an idea.

I use Jasc "Animation Shop 3" as my animator, and as a result, it can import the associated file types from the main drawing program (Jasc "Paint Shop Pro 7"), which can be layered. So, rather than having to use a single-layered drawing program like Paint to overlay the blobs onto the picture, I could have just used my drawing program to create a separate layer for the blobs, and so, I could just move the blobs themselves without affecting the base background picture below.

Why didn't I do that earlier?

[Edited by agaricus5 on 07-21-2004 at 05:02 PM GMT]

07-21-2004 at 06:02 PM
gds
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 50
gamer_extreme_101, I think you've mentioned somewhere you're using jpeg at some stage (can't remember where) and you mention it again here. Why? Jpeg, with its lossy compression algorithm is really not suitable for computer generated graphics, particularly those with areas of uniform colour as is the case here. The jpeg artifact are particularly visible in the last two emoticons you've posted.

If you're looking for a good compression format either use png, gif (if no more than 256 colours) or jpeg2000 with lossless compression, depending on what your editor support. Although considering the size of the image an uncompressed format such as bmp would be fine.

By the way, a very good and powerful image editor (in the calibre of photoshop) is Gimp www.gimp.org). It's open source. Its downside is that its interface may be very unusual for windows users (but once you're used to it, you wish all windows prg behaved this way). You can do all your editing / creation with it and of course create the animated gif.
07-21-2004 at 06:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Point taken. I can easily redo the previous ones using Bitmaps instead, seeing as the actual pictures are in ICO format. I will take a look into GIMP, but I'm not sure if I want to go through an interface change seeing as I'm finally just getting used to Axialis IconWorkshop, but I'll see.

07-21-2004 at 06:31 PM
ErikH2000
To make sure that all web browsers can view them, I would stick to PNG or GIF.

EDIT: Actually you would want to use GIF because the PNG format doesn't support animation.

-Erik

[Edited by ErikH2000 on 07-21-2004 at 05:41 PM GMT]

07-21-2004 at 06:39 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
ErikH2000 wrote:
To make sure that all web browsers can view them, I would stick to PNG or GIF.

EDIT: Actually you would want to use GIF because the PNG format doesn't support animation.

-Erik

[Edited by ErikH2000 on 07-21-2004 at 05:41 PM GMT]

I think what gamer_extreme_101 meant was that he saved the individual frames in JPEG format before turning them into animated .GIFs. My advice would be just to keep the pictures saved as .bmp files. Even with 72 pictures (frames) in Bitmap format, since they are so small, they don't take up much space on my drive - less than 1MB. For your animations, which are smaller than my one, and have fewer frames, saving the individual frames in Bitmap format shouldn't take up much space, and has the advantage of not causing any loss in colour/pixel data.

07-21-2004 at 06:45 PM
ErikH2000
agaricus5 wrote:
I think what gamer_extreme_101 meant was that he saved the individual frames in JPEG format before turning them into animated .GIFs.
:doh (That doesn't work yet, but it will later!)

Yes, that probably was what he meant. Especially since his attached smilies are already in GIF format, not JPEG. Somebody mod me down!

-Erik

07-21-2004 at 06:51 PM
gamer_extreme_101
ErikH2000 wrote:
:doh (That doesn't work yet, but it will later!)
Good to see you like it.

Oh, and Erik...You might want to change the link to the new Mimic Death in your previous post as I deleted the file...

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-22-2004 at 02:25 AM GMT]

07-21-2004 at 08:32 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: DROD Smilies/Emoticons (+1)  
I know, I know! The bottom one's shorter! :P

One thing you'll want to do with all these smileys is remember to set transparency, so that the places where nothing's standing is transparent, showing through the colours of the forum. Then, if this makes something look a little off, you can outline it in black and it will look fine again. That's exactly how all the smileys on the forums already are done, as well, so you can already see how it works.

07-21-2004 at 09:08 PM
gamer_extreme_101
:twak

I get it NOW!

I guess I had to enable transparency in the Animator rather than the images themselves. All new pictures will be put in their respective posts on this topic.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-22-2004 at 02:32 AM GMT]

07-22-2004 at 02:08 AM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1126
:toohard

A brain gets bigger and bigger, then explodes.

Just an idea, I can't animate GIFs.

07-22-2004 at 05:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Pinnacle wrote:
:toohard

A brain gets bigger and bigger, then explodes.

Just an idea, I can't animate GIFs.

Oh, it can, and WILL be done...I'm a kind of person that never backs down from a challenge :) .

07-22-2004 at 05:52 PM
gamer_extreme_101

File: Brain1.GIF (2.8 KB)
Downloaded 258 times.
Here ya go Pinnacle:

#9 :toohard [28x28]

A brain continues to grow until it explodes. There are a whole schwack of uses, and I expect to see it a lot on the Hints and Solutions board.

"Argh! Level 13!!!

Edit: I centred it and did a bit of Anti-aliasing myself. It looks a heckuva lot better, thankfully.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-24-2004 at 04:19 PM GMT]

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-24-2004 at 04:20 PM GMT]

07-22-2004 at 06:27 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I really like toohard, but maybe it would work better if you centered the brain? It looks a bit weird at the moment...

07-22-2004 at 06:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
eytanz wrote:
I really like toohard, but maybe it would work better if you centered the brain? It looks a bit weird at the moment...
Sure thing.

Oh, and would you mind if I use the idea of your avatar and make a tar mother winking?

07-22-2004 at 06:47 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Sure, feel free...

07-22-2004 at 06:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
That :toohard one needs some antialiasing... it looks like you did a nearest-neighbor resize on the brain, which makes it really pixelly. Antialiasing will of course cause trouble with the transparency, but with a little work I think it could look a lot better.

07-22-2004 at 06:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
Two suggestions here.

The "Ray Gun" smiley: A horde of goblins and roaches gathers in front of Beethro. He then pulls out a ray gun and zaps them all. (The first picture in this thread could be used for the actual ray.)

To any newcomers wondering what on earth this is about: see the Ray Gun for Beethro thread in Feature Requests.

The "narrow escape" smiley: Seven roaches gather around Beethro, surrounding him completely. Beethro then spins around quickly, killing the roaches.

07-24-2004 at 09:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Watcher wrote:
Two suggestions here.

The "Ray Gun" smiley: A horde of goblins and roaches gathers in front of Beethro. He then pulls out a ray gun and zaps them all.
Okay...that doesn't sound too bad. Just give me some time to work on it. I currently have a whole lot of work to do one repairing some of the older ones, so you may not see it immediatly.
(The first picture in this thread could be used for the actual ray.)
Good idea, but I don't like the size of the actual ray, so I'll probably have to create my own. Would you like to specify any colour for the ray? Odds are I'll probably just use blue.
The "narrow escape" smiley: Seven roaches gather around Beethro, surrounding him completely. Beethro then spins around quickly, killing the roaches.
Pretty simple. Consider it done!

-Patrick

07-24-2004 at 03:36 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : DROD Smilies/Emoticons (Beethro finds his way into the forums!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com