Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Submit DROD hints, tips, and room guides... (You know, for the needy.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Blood Maggot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
IP: Logged
icon Submit DROD hints, tips, and room guides... (0)  
and they could all be compiled into a massive DRO FAQ/Walkthrough, which would be put up onto this site.

There could be a page where you select hint/tip/room guide, and room location if any, and a box to type in. Then you would click submit and it would be put on the site. I think that would be a good idea, if it didn't take up too much bandwith.

Wha'cha all think?
07-19-2004 at 06:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: Submit DROD hints, tips, and room guides... (0)  
I find it pointless because we have a hold called "DROD Tutorials" that teaches the basic, and we have the Hints and Solutions board. Compiling a FAQ/Walkthrough would be a waste of time, and would take the challenge out of finding the solutions for DROD rooms. "Why bother when it's written on the net?" some would think.

Getting better at the game comes with understanding how each enemies works. For example, the wraithwing will only attack you if he is in a flock of them. Some rooms need to to understand that (Level 19...can't remember coordinates). Or the goblin, who moves based on sword position.

If peole desperately need help, they will sign up for the forum and post on the H&S board, where the DROD community will gladly help them. In fact, if you search through the board, I'm sure that every topic has at least one reply to it, if not more. The H&S board offers more depth to helping rooms than a walkthrough ever could.

Sorry for this rant. I guess I can see where you were coming from, but I just think that because DROD is a non-linear game, a walkthrough would be very hard to print. Take the July contest: move have varied from 2500 to 1900, proving that there are many solutions tom each room. Challenges are another good example, as they challenge you to solve the room in another, usually harder way.

To sum this post in a couple of words - DROD wasn't make for a walkthrough.

-Patrick

07-19-2004 at 07:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
I find it pointless because we have a hold called "DROD Tutorials" that teaches the basic, and we have the Hints and Solutions board. Compiling a FAQ/Walkthrough would be a waste of time, and would take the challenge out of finding the solutions for DROD rooms. "Why bother when it's written on the net?" some would think.

That is how the challenge of many games can be destroyed, I agree. It's much better to be tenacious and hang on to try to find the solution for yourself. Understanding how a monster/element works is far more important than completing a room.

Getting better at the game comes with understanding how each enemies works. For example, the wraithwing will only attack you if he is in a flock of them. Some rooms need to to understand that (Level 19...can't remember coordinates). Or the goblin, who moves based on sword position.

However, advanced techniques for playing DROD are prettily poorly documented on the site and on the boards. As a player of DROD for a few years, I have learnt many different techniques for dealing with monsters that I never imagined to exist.

Click here to view the secret text

My opinion is that the movement techniques page should be updated to include some of these more advanced techniques, so that more difficult holds become more accessible to newer players.

Sorry for this rant. I guess I can see where you were coming from, but I just think that because DROD is a non-linear game, a walkthrough would be very hard to print.

Plus, many rooms do not really need walkthroughs, such as many rooms on level 1 and filler rooms throughout the rest of the hold.

Take the July contest: move have varied from 2500 to 1900, proving that there are many solutions tom each room.

Mikko, I believe, claimed to have a score below 1900. :)

[Edited by agaricus5 on 07-19-2004 at 08:20 PM GMT]

07-19-2004 at 09:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
agaricus5 wrote:
Take the July contest: move have varied from 2500 to 1900, proving that there are many solutions tom each room.
Mikko, I believe, claimed to have a score below 1900. :)
Actually, the bar has now been dropped below 1800, which I honestly thought wasn't even possible. Serves me right for designing the thing the way I did.

07-20-2004 at 12:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Submit DROD hints, tips, and room guides... (You know, for the needy.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com