Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Strong and Weak potions (modifying potion behaviour)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2460
IP: Logged
icon Strong and Weak potions (+1)  
Strong Potions
--------------
Decoy: increases attract range to 10 squares
Invis: reduces smell range to 3 squares
Mimic: acts as Clone potion
Clone: unchanged
Speed: 3 turns per tick

Weak Potions
------------
Decoy: decreases attract range to 3 squares
Invis: increases small range to 10 squares
Mimic: unchanged
Clone: acts as mimic potion
Speed: Extra turn only every second tick

==

Implemented using tokens, perhaps?
If there's a strong token in the room, then all potions are strong.
If there's a weak token in the room, then all potions are weak.
If there are equal numbers, they cancel out.

Although ideally you'd want to have some way to let the player change it - so maybe they can be activated/deactivated?

Strong Clone and Weak Mimic could maybe have something more interesting happening. Weak mimic = swordless mimic?
07-08-2011 at 04:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
icon Re: Strong and Weak potions (0)  
I like the no-sword idea for weak mimic. But I don't really like the idea of strong mimic acting as clone and weak clone acting as mimic. Maybe the potions should be unchanged?
07-08-2011 at 03:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
I'm thinking it could get really confusing as well. For me at least!

07-08-2011 at 03:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
da rogu3
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 491
It's a nice idea but it seems too complicated to put into practice. Multiple decoys especially would be very hard to predict.

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 07-08-2011 03:35 PM : typo]
07-08-2011 at 03:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
07-08-2011 at 07:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
I don't think it will be that confusing - certainly no more confusing than multiple decoys are now. You can click on decoys to see their range - invis is similarly marked. Speed? need more clocks :/

---

Further thoughts:

Yeah, mimic and clone versions are kind of weak.

How about
Strong Mimic: It has to make the same move as you - if it cannot then you are blocked.
Weak Mimic: ... doesn't activate tokens? or maybe doesn't move at all? or can move but not turn? or turn but not move? Wubba style movement? (no sliding along walls)

And I can't think of anything else for the clone. :/
Invincible Clone (adders/bombs/hot-tiles) vs Clone that normal monsters can eat (+ decoy-powers of attraction)?

--

If you are able to change from strong to weak within a room, then you have to decide whether that should effect potions that are already drunk. ie if you change the effect from strong to weak
* should you suddenly become more or less visible/speedy?
* should mimics and decoys that are already placed now act differently?

Logically, if it's drunk, it's drunk. But I think I prefer it the other way.
* You avoid potential confusion of mimics/decoys of different strengths. (and you don't need to have different graphics to differentiate them)
* If you put a decoy in a thick box, then you can turn on and off its attractiveness
* Change invis/speed strength without needing the player to redrink potions.

Although the logical way lets you have more interactions: strong mimics with weak decoys, etc.
07-11-2011 at 10:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Strong and Weak potions (modifying potion behaviour)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com