Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : April Fool's, May Fools, and June No-Fooling (Our News for May)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
IP: Logged
icon April Fool's, May Fools, and June No-Fooling (+1)  
Since I released two newsletters in March, I subconsciously decided to wait until May to release the next one. Though we're well into May, I'd like to give a mention to the April Fool's Day event this year. Though we didn't ham it up as much as last year's April Fool's joke, this year's "leak" of the upcoming Next Big Project was quite noteworthy. A big shout-out to Larrymurk for providing us DRODman as a cool gift to our loyal fans who were on the lookout.

...just make sure you read the fine print before you play!

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=31653

Extending the April Fool's Day spirit throughout the year

If April Fool's Day on gaming sites involves combining games in weird ways, then Valve's alternate reality game (ARG) for an extended April Fool's Day event for promoting Portal 2 takes the cake! (If you don't know what this is about, do a search on "Valve ARG".) I've heard some jaded individuals on the nets share that they saw this event as nothing more than an opportunity to shamelessly promote their upcoming release and make some more dough in the process. Not of the potato flour variety.

As both a game player and game developer, I respond, "What's wrong with that?" There was such an incredible amount of content that got packed into their foolfest that it boggles the mind. Players could spend tens or possibly literally hundreds of hours seeking out all of the hidden items that appeared in the set of indie games featured in Steam's "Potato Sack" and given free bonus content.

As I see it, on a fundamental level, people make games to share something cool, creative and fun with others. If people are good enough at making cool, creative and fun content that people will throw money at them to experience it, then more power to them. And, big kudos to Valve for promoting indie games on Steam in such a big way.

And, speaking of last year's April Fool's contest on the Caravel Forum, can it really be that Duke Nukem Forever is actually, really, truly, finally coming out next month? Huh. Biggest surprise of the decade. It seems that the joke's on all of us. I will never make fun of the Duke again. Ever. No, really. Starting this minute. ...Now!

Promoting the Official Number of the Eighth

DiMono is running a cool series of official Forum contests. Last month's contest was about promoting pi, the new official number of the Eighth, all throughout the realms. After all, who could've thought of a more fitting value for the Eighth than pi? Except maybe pi/4 -- though only nerdy topologist wanna-bes would suggest such a thing. Or Stefan, but he really knows what he's talking about, and he has the celebratory material to prove it. Congratulations to Stefan, Rat Man and da rogu3 for placing in the April contest! Stefan, please have your pick from the Caravel Prize Pile!

Creative Writing Contest on the bottom of pi tin

"So, mrimer, what's with the random puns inexplicably thrown in above?" you ask. This month's contest is writing something creative about the Eighth that involves a lot of puns. All groaners, brow-beaters, knee-slappers, and downright all-out punners accepted.

You have until May 22nd to submit an entry of any length. Up to the fractional part of pi, that is. (It's not really as confusing as that might sound. You'll see.) Winner receives a free game or other prize from the Prize Pile!

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=31757

Don't Ask Award

This month I'm giving a Don't Ask Award to Banjooie for being an incredible force for awesomenessity on the Forum. Glad to have you around, friend! Please pick out something from the Prize Pile.

Have a good spring/fall/end-/beginning-of-school everyone!

Mike

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-18-2011 at 04:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rat Man
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
icon Re: April Fool's, May Fools, and June No-Fooling (0)  
I doubt Duke Nukem Forever is really coming out. And -- Don't Ask Award?! I can't even ask what that is or people will hate me for it! ARRGH!! :throw

05-18-2011 at 06:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
Two things.
1: Always bet on Duke.
2: The 'Don't Ask' awards are basically 'Let us hand something valuable to a random forum member we feel deserves something. ' Erik wrote some long thing about it but hhonestly that pretty much covers it.

05-19-2011 at 02:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Also, the forum member is disqualified if they request the reward for themself, which is why it's called the Don't Ask award.

05-19-2011 at 02:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rat Man
Banjooie wrote:

1: Always bet on Duke.
How much good has that done so far?
By the way, even if it does come out, I can still make fun of it.
Example: Hey, I just finished painting the house!
Are you serious?
Yeah! I said I would do it.
You've been saying that for the past 15 years, Duke!

05-19-2011 at 03:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
Third thing:
3. Don't make fun of the Duke.

He's come to kick butt and chew bubble gum, and he's out of bubble gum so watch it!

05-19-2011 at 03:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rat Man
Can't argue with that logic!

05-19-2011 at 04:32 PM
Jatopian
I hope DNF has a bubblegum powerup, just to spite you.

05-19-2011 at 09:59 PM
Banjooie
icon Re: April Fool's, May Fools, and June No-Fooling (+1)  
Duke Nukem Forever has been in development longer than Rat Man has been /alive/. That is kind of completely amazing.
05-20-2011 at 08:39 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
When I read the illumination I figured it was just another Duke Nukem quip, but wow... it looks real this time!

I predict this will become the fastest-selling game of all time. Maybe we should approach them to see if they can ship it with the TCB demo :)
05-20-2011 at 04:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rat Man
Now we're talking about Duke Nukem on the Illumination thread. Have we always derailed threads like this or just since I showed up and started opening my big mouth?

EDITION: There is /no way/ that DNF is gonna be epic enough to wait over a decade for!

[Last edited by Rat Man at 05-20-2011 05:20 PM]
05-20-2011 at 05:19 PM
Jatopian
icon Re: April Fool's, May Fools, and June No-Fooling (+1)  
Hard to call it derailment, since DNF was mentioned in the first post.

05-21-2011 at 03:23 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Rat Man wrote:
Now we're talking about Duke Nukem on the Illumination thread. Have we always derailed threads like this or just since I showed up and started opening my big mouth?

EDITION: There is /no way/ that DNF is gonna be epic enough to wait over a decade for!
Dude, chill. I don't think anybody is expecting it to be, it's just an intriguing novelty.
05-21-2011 at 03:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
I find it unusual that there don't seem to be TF2 hats for preordering. Then again, I'm just starting to assume all Steam games will tie in with TF2

05-21-2011 at 04:20 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : April Fool's, May Fools, and June No-Fooling (Our News for May)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com