Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Let's Do Some Writing! (The official May, 2011 Contest)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Re: Let's Do Some Writing! (+1)  
Tahnan wrote:
DiMono wrote:
Note: entries close and voting begins a day early on this one because I will be out of the Country and likely without Internet starting on the 24th, and I want to make sure I don't forget to put up the poll before I leave.
(Poke poke poke.)

If we haven't heard from DiMono soon, does someone who can access the submission topic want to post a poll, in case he forgot?
I'm still here, I'll be posting the vote thread later tonight or tomorrow morning. It turns out there's stuff to be done before going on vacation, and it's taking longer than expected. For instance, it's 11:30 the night before we leave and I need to cut my hair before I go to bed. I haven't forgotten about the vote though, so worry not!

05-24-2011 at 04:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: Let's Do Some Writing! (0)  
Oh bother!!! I started something for this contest, but I've run out of time. :weep Life is just too busy at the moment: exams, preparing for a major timetable change, looking after a second property (I've bought a cottage in the West and I'm over there every second weekend) . It would have been difficult to make my piece anonymous anyway - I suspect a few people might have remembered Rashonwe? Oh well ...

05-24-2011 at 09:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Post it anyway! More Elfstone-writing is never a bad thing.
05-24-2011 at 10:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
Tahnan wrote:
If we haven't heard from DiMono soon, does someone who can access the submission topic want to post a poll, in case he forgot?

DiMono posted yesterday in the Sound Assets forum, so he is around.

EDIT:
Nevermind. I see he posted here too :P

[Last edited by west.logan at 05-24-2011 12:46 PM]
05-24-2011 at 12:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rat Man
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
Elfstone wrote:
remembered Rashonwe?
I'd forgotten that was you that wrote that. How do you pronounce Rashonwe? I've never figured that out.

05-24-2011 at 05:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rat Man wrote:
Elfstone wrote:
remembered Rashonwe?
I'd forgotten that was you that wrote that. How do you pronounce Rashonwe? I've never figured that out.
Pretty much as it looks: Rah-shon-way - with the stress on the second syllable. :)

05-24-2011 at 08:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone

File: New DROD.doc (28 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Let's Do Some Writing! (+11)  
Tahnan wrote:
Post it anyway! More Elfstone-writing is never a bad thing.
:kiss :kiss :kiss

Well, it is by no means finished (- I reckon probably only half way through and, as some of you may realise, I have taken the entrance and ending bits from Castle Steele and started expanding them into a proper story) but there you go, for anyone who's interested. I hope to finish it when Life becomes a little less hectic. :~(

05-24-2011 at 09:38 PM
Rat Man
Great story so far! Although, I must admit that it doesn't really fit this month's contest since it was intended for pun-filled humorous stories.
But it doesn't really matter anymore since this will be independent of the contest.

05-24-2011 at 10:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I am always in favour of encouraging creative writing, whatever the form.

05-25-2011 at 03:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rat Man wrote:
Great story so far!
thank you! :)

Although, I must admit that it doesn't really fit this month's contest since it was intended for pun-filled humorous stories.
I don't believe "humorous" was mentioned anywhere in the rules and my story (so far) does have puns (in keeping with the number), but if you didn't notice them . . . maybe they're too subtle? :~(

05-25-2011 at 11:02 PM
Rat Man
Oh, I got in my head that it was supposed to be humorous somehow, I thought it was in the rules. I sometimes miss puns when they seem natural -- in other words, good puns. So you can take that as a compliment.

05-25-2011 at 11:37 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
I thought it was supposed to be humourous too (perhaps because it was supposed to have puns?). That may be why I thought some of the entries rather strange.

05-25-2011 at 11:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Penwielder
Rank Points: 628
I don't think puns and humor have to go together at all. A pun could simply be the hinge of a statement with multiple meanings (and serve no other purpose). Clever, perhaps, but not humo(u)rous.

On the other hand, we're supposed to rate these according to their entertainment value, and humor tends to be a victor on that front--especially in short works.

05-27-2011 at 04:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Let's Do Some Writing! (The official May, 2011 Contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com