Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Promote The Eighth's New Official Number - Vote Here! (A multiple question poll)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
RankEntryAverageStandard Deviation
1Entry 38.441.7453939383417
2Entry 26.841.6656530250926
3Entry 14.642.0953281365934
4Entry 44.361.7176728442867
Entry 1
Average Vote 4.64
Standard Deviation 2.0953281365934

Entry 2
Average Vote 6.84
Standard Deviation 1.6656530250926

Entry 3
Average Vote 8.44
Standard Deviation 1.7453939383417

Entry 4
Average Vote 4.36
Standard Deviation 1.7176728442867
Total Votes 28 100%
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Promote The Eighth's New Official Number - Vote Here! (+1)  
The entries are in, the time has come, it's time to vote for which picture best promotes the new Official Number of the Eighth: pi. Remember, you're giving a score of 1-8 for your subjective opinion of the entry, and a score of 0-2 for how creative the entry was at dealing with the extra 0.14159265etc, added up for a total score of 1-10 as per normal contest voting. The four entries will be posted in individual replies below, and voting will continue until Local Time:05-01-2011 at 10:00 PM.

Note: I won't be able to get to a computer until the following day, so although the poll will be closed, the announcement of the winners will come a little bit later.

Note 2: There was another entry that was pretty awesome, but it didn't follow the colour limitation. However, there are several more related contests coming over the rest of the year, and it's possible that the entry in question will end up being a valid entry for one of the forthcoming contests. As such, I'm not going to share it here as it could potentially unfairly bias a future vote. However, if that ends up not being the case, then you just might get to see it after this series of contests is over.

Good luck, entrants!

04-24-2011 at 11:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono

File: Entry 1.png (5.8 KB)
Downloaded 979 times.
License: Other
icon Re: Promote The Eighth's New Official Number - Vote Here! (0)  
Entry 1 - the extra .14159etc is explained in the picture.

04-24-2011 at 11:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono

File: Entry 2.png (25.8 KB)
Downloaded 989 times.
Entry 2 - the extra .14159etc is made up by the use of dither-shading

04-24-2011 at 11:12 PM
DiMono

File: Entry 3.png (13.3 KB)
Downloaded 987 times.
Entry 3. Author note:

This image is composed of 3.14 colours (the opacity of the image is at 14% wherever the "fourth" color is present).

The Sihmpuhl Englihsh text may be incorrect. It should translate to: "A piece of PI" (or "A piece of pie").

Best(?) viewed with a white background.

04-24-2011 at 11:13 PM
DiMono

File: Entry 4.gif (9.9 KB)
Downloaded 983 times.
Entry 4 - The extra .14159 is unspecified, but I assume it's by opacity on the words at the bottom. If the artist contacts me privately and corrects me, I will update this post.

Happy voting!

04-24-2011 at 11:14 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842

File: Caravel_april_2011_contest_entries.zip (54.5 KB)
Downloaded 53 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Promote The Eighth's New Official Number - Vote Here! (+3)  
Why don't you people ever put a zip of all entries up? Here. I did it for you.

04-25-2011 at 01:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: Promote The Eighth's New Official Number - Vote Here! (+4)  
These secret tags house the four images, not commentary.

Entry 1:
Click here to view the secret text

Entry 2:

Entry 3:

Entry 4:

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 04-25-2011 02:22 AM]
04-25-2011 at 02:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: Promote The Eighth's New Official Number - Vote Here! (+6)  
Here's my take on the entries:

Entry 1:
2 points for creativity in dealing with the extra "color". DROD-themed picture, but not very funny or promotional. Also, the picture contains a lot more colors than allowed because of anti-aliasing (this is also true for entry #4, but I didn't take this into consideration when voting).

Entry 2:
Cool picture, and good use of the extra .14159... I'm not exactly sure what dither-shading entails, but it seems to be comparable to the opacity-method I used.
The entry is questionably DROD-themed (could be a reference to one of these bar-watching forum threads:
The Revenge of Watch the Bar Strikes Back 2: Electric Boogaloo
Watch the Bar Epside III: The Revenge of the Clicks,
but that's more forum-themed than DROD-themed).

Entry 3:
This was mine. Some further explanations might be in order.

During the last contest I didn't vote very high on the pi-entry. Not because I didn't like the number, but because the entry only used forum-"quotes", and not really anything related to the DROD canon. If it, for instance, had equated pi with pie (which it sort of did for a couple of quotes), and used this to find some DROD-related stuff, I would probably have voted higher.

ErikH2000 wrote:
A "year" has 333 days. B.D. stands for "Benedat's Discovery", when he proved the world was a pie--one eighth of a pie, to be exact. This realization prompted a modern age of Constructed Thought. Educated people began calling their world "the Eighth" and acting really snooty at certain parties.
So, I decided to create an entry based on that quote. My original intention was to make a rendition of the Master Map of the Eighth with the angle fixed (curiously enough, the angle in the master map makes it a ninth of a pie, not an eighth), the text "The Eighth" above it and "A piece of pie" beneath, written in Sihmpuhl Englihsh (look here for links and references). However, due to lack of time and the realization that I suck at writing stuff in SE, I decided to drop "The Eighth" and instead go with just "A PIS UhV PI". Later on I added the angle in radians (it could, of course, be shortened to pi/4, but that would take away the eight in the denominator, which was kind of the reason I added the angle in the first place...).

Edit: I wonder how many voters (especially new forumites) actually recognized my entry as being a map of the Eighth, or the (not so?) subtle reference to the origin of the name "The Eighth". :unsure

As a bonus, by switching background color, you can make different kinds of pie:
- #FFFFFF --> vanilla/cream pie
- #2220A1 --> blueberry pie
- #EC3F3F --> strawberry/cherry pie
- #D9E29D --> apple pie
- etc.

ErikH2000 wrote:
The Eighth, though resembling a pie, tastes nothing like one, unless of course, the comparison pie were fashioned out of dirt, in which case the experiment has not been conducted correctly.
Entry 4:
It's a pie. No obvious DROD-references or usage of the "half-color".

[Last edited by Stefan at 04-27-2011 07:10 PM]
04-25-2011 at 04:14 AM
DiMono
Jatopian wrote:
Why don't you people ever put a zip of all entries up? Here. I did it for you.
I did that for the last contest, but with some of the entries requiring external commentary I decided it was better this time to put them in separate posts.

And what do you mean "you people?" :P

04-25-2011 at 04:39 AM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
I... I coulda sworn that was Dischorran

04-25-2011 at 05:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Promote The Eighth's New Official Number - Vote Here! (+1)  
DiMono wrote:
with some of the entries requiring external commentary I decided it was better this time to put them in separate posts.
You should have done both, silly. One for what you said, the other method for easy downloading.
And what do you mean "you people?" :P
That's uncalled for.

04-25-2011 at 06:43 AM
DiMono
Schik wrote:
I... I coulda sworn that was Dischorran
Hmm, so it was. Looks like I broke it up for the same reason last time though. I promise to offer it up as a single zip for contests where there's nothing more than the files, though.

04-25-2011 at 06:47 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
For easy reference/copying: if you want your comments hidden until the polls close, which I personally recommend, you want to put them in these tags:
[unhidetime=May 01 2011 5:00PM]...[/unhidetime]
As for my own comments:

Somehow the phrase "no contest" has never applied so clearly to a Caravel contest.

1. Points off for the grammatical error ("lied" should be "lay", or perhaps better yet "sat"). A few points back for the DROD content. Points subtracted and then added back for the question of whether the white background counted as another "color". But really, even more points off because it's just a picture; it's not actually promoting anything.

2. Well, it's...pretty. And it's certainly promoting something. Not DROD, exactly, but something. (And you know, that's kind of a shame. Replace the silhouettes of Luke and Vader with Beethro and a Slayer, change the large Vader mask to something DRODish, and in my mind this would have been strong competition.)

3. Now this is lovely. It's clearly about pi as a new number for the Eighth; it's a clever approach to that extra 14% of a color, it's eye-catching. An entry that would stand out even in a strong field, and this wasn't a strong field.

4. Well...OK. It kind of at least wants to promote pi, even if it's not exactly promoting it as being a number for the Eighth. It's also a pretty unappetizing pie; those colors can't be healthy, and I'm not sure what those squares on top are.

[Last edited by Tahnan at 04-26-2011 11:51 AM]
04-25-2011 at 02:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rat Man
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
Mine was Revenge of the Jedpi. My brother is the king of terrible puns and I can't believe I actually used his pun for this! I just couldn't think of any other way to include Pi! But I'd say I did a pretty good job. I thought I had a shot at winning until I saw entry 3! I can't compete with that!

04-25-2011 at 07:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
icon Re: Promote The Eighth's New Official Number - Vote Here! (+6)  
OK, seriously, y'all. This is practically the easiest contest to vote on in memory. There's no puzzle, there's no hold, there's no extensive reading, there's not even anything to download. You have to look at four pictures, and read like five sentences of explanation. That's it.

Meanwhile, this page of forum statistics tells me two things:

1. Four days ago, we missed the chance to celebrate the forum's 3000th day. That's not actually relevant to much of anything, but I found the number kind of striking.

2. The forum has 308 "active members".

Of those three hundred and eight members, eleven of them have managed to find the time to vote in this contest so far. Eleven. That's less than 4%. (Plus of course two people looked at the results without voting, because apparently looking at four pictures and deciding which ones they liked was just too strenuous.)

Even if we write off some of the remaining 295 "active members" as being, say, "admin", or alternate accounts for minimike98, or a person or two who's still using lynx to browse the web and so can't see the pictures, there are presumably something on the order of two hundred and fifty people who haven't voted. What exactly is holding you people back? Do you feel like you can't judge these entries until you finish that PhD in Art History you started in 1997? Are you boycotting polls until prringles returns to post his next "fruit good" poll? Are you too filled with animosity because a picture with pi colors in it ran over your pet goldfish when you were six?

Vote, people. It's not that hard.

(Disclaimer: I don't have a dog in this fight. None of these entries are mine, so I'm not trying to get more people to vote in order to somehow affect the results. Just, c'mon, people. Four pictures! Really!)
04-27-2011 at 12:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
My comments:

The 2 pi/8 really got me, and the 3.14 colors was a very nice idea.
Coming in closely behind was the Return of the Jedpi, with the dithering. Also a clever idea.

04-27-2011 at 12:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
To be fair, one of those "viewed but didn't vote" people is me, because I feel it could potentially be a conflict of interest or something. I just think it's better if the person running the contest doesn't have a say in how it turns out.

04-27-2011 at 03:51 PM
Rat Man
Keep in mind that the other one could well be a contestant who abstained from voting for the same reason.

04-27-2011 at 08:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734

1. It was fun idea and I liked it a bit.
2. Very nice art, but I don't like the implementation of 0.14...
3. I loved the idea of using the alpha channel and, I have to admit, it's my personal favorite.
4. I am afraid I didn't fully grasp what the author had in mind :(

04-27-2011 at 09:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
Tahnan wrote:
The forum has 308 "active members"....Of those three hundred and eight members, eleven of them have managed to find the time to vote in this contest so far. Eleven. That's less than 4%.
Guilted into voting. :P
04-28-2011 at 06:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Lamkin wrote:
Tahnan wrote:
The forum has 308 "active members"....Of those three hundred and eight members, eleven of them have managed to find the time to vote in this contest so far. Eleven. That's less than 4%.
Guilted into voting. :P
Here, have a +2. :-)
04-28-2011 at 10:30 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Sorry I missed voting, I was out of town and had no chance to use the internet to vote. I hoped to vote when I got back, but voting was closed by then.

As to my entry #4 - I had not seen that we could/should have a written explanation of how our colors were the number PI. I would have explained that the color used in the writing was .14159 blend of the 3 primary colors used. I would have also explained this was a pic of a nice pie you can easily find in any restaurant in the Eighth, just colored to support the new number. The squares on top are the air holes to release the extra steam when cooking. Who wants round holds.

Oh well it was fun to make even if no one got it... ha ha. At least you now know I didn't just make a junk entry to keep up my enter every contest record going. :fun

[Last edited by techant at 05-01-2011 07:28 PM]
05-01-2011 at 07:26 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
Oh, hey, the contest's over and I forgot to add comments to my votes. It worked out fine in this case, though, since now I can pretty much say "Ditto" to Tahnan's post instead of writing one up myself, and add in an extra copy of "Wow, entry 3 was awesome!"

Sorry for not entering anything myself - time was short this go-round and I couldn't think of a clever way to subvert the rules of the contest. At least, any more than I already did. ;)

05-01-2011 at 08:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
reyll3
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 33
I've had some pretty busy weeks, and was unable to find something for the .1415926535
Too bad i didn't have any time to vote, either :(

However, I will probably enter in the next contest as i now have the rough times behind my back.

Looking at the entries, i really like entry 3 due to the fact that it has a lot to do with DRoD. Good job!

05-02-2011 at 03:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
The results are in, and the winner is Stefan! Congratulations, you get 100 rank points and an item from the Prize Pile.

Coming in second, with an awesome dithering job, is Rat Man, who gets 50. And in third, da rogu3 gets 25.

Congratulations, and good work to all who entered!

05-02-2011 at 05:30 PM
Rat Man
:surprise YES! :hooray I PLACED! :yahoo: I'm getting 50 rank points!:jumpy And to Stefan, I was unaware that it had to be DROD-themed. I just thought it was supposed to be Pi-themed, which I had to try pretty hard to accomplish. Hence the horrific pun.

[Last edited by Rat Man at 05-02-2011 08:42 PM]
05-02-2011 at 08:38 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
It wasn't a horrific pun. It was kind of funny actually, in a nerdy sort of way :)

Congrats.

05-02-2011 at 08:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rat Man
Thanks. I still say it was terrible, at best. Maybe that's just because it came out of the mouth of the king of terrible puns...

05-02-2011 at 08:51 PM
Rat Man
So when do I get those 50 rank points?

05-05-2011 at 12:17 AM
DiMono
Whenever someone with the ability to distribute them gets around to it, I guess. I just work here. And by "here" I mean on these contests.

05-05-2011 at 02:38 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Promote The Eighth's New Official Number - Vote Here! (A multiple question poll)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com