Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Caravel repository in MSVS 6.0
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
IP: Logged
icon Caravel repository in MSVS 6.0 (0)  
As far as I know I've read all the docs on sourceforge and in this forum, but it appears I'll need some guidance if I'm ever to get the Caravel CVS to compile.
I'm using visual studio 6.0, and I've got all the libs mentioned on sourceforge installed. (Or close... I should mention that the link to FMOD 3.61 on sourceforge is defunct, they are up to 3.62, which is all I could find to download).

As far as I can glean from the posts here and the docs on sourceforge, Master.dsw is a .NET workspace, right?
When I open the .dsw (in VS6.0) it shows up as a pretty useless empty workspace.

I know that at one point a month or so ago I had a useable project created out of the Caravel CVS, but I didn't take the time to get all the required libs installed and was more interested in playing the game. Now that I have the libs installed (and finished the game), I'm not getting the workspace to open.

Is there documentation that I missed?

A bit about myself:

I have to admit, I don't have much experience with MS programming, I've done some rudimentary stuff, usually with the help of MSDN documentation. I do have nearly a decade of programming experience, mostly in unix, and I'm pretty good at it.
I studied EE at the University of Illinois (urbana-champaign), then transfered to CS, did some work at NCSA, and now work as a consultant for a small artsy tech company in Urbana, IL. And in my spare time, I do some programming for fun.

05-01-2003 at 06:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bdcribbs
icon Re: Caravel repository in MSVS 6.0 (0)  
That broken link I mentioned is on:

http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=15202&group_id=10939

The link to:

http://www.fmod.org/files/fmodapi361win32.zip

no longer exists.

The more recent version is:

http://www.fmod.org/files/fmodapi362win32.zip

I have no idea is 3.62 is compatible with the current Caravel repository.

05-01-2003 at 06:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bdcribbs
Oh, and I'm Bryan :)

bdcribbs is a username assigned to me years ago by I-forget-who which I continue to use because it rolls off my fingers so fast by now (and it's never taken).
05-01-2003 at 07:03 AM
bdcribbs
Also, the Master.sln file on my system is associated with MS InterDev, but it barfs when it tries to open it. I have to admit my ignorance, I don't know what a .sln file is supposed to be, but my system thinks it's a InterDev "solution".
That's what my Windows box thininks anyway, gnu thinks this:
Master.dsw: ASCII text
Master.ncb: MSVC program database ver 2.00
Master.opt: Microsoft Office Document
Master.sln: ASCII text

Anyway... maybe it's just that these are .NET generated which 6.0 doesn't recognize?

I'm confuzzled.
05-01-2003 at 07:13 AM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
bdcribbs wrote:
As far as I can glean from the posts here and the docs on sourceforge, Master.dsw is a .NET workspace, right?
When I open the .dsw (in VS6.0) it shows up as a pretty useless empty workspace.
It's a VS6 workspace. You should get several projects inside of it, named "drod", "drodlib", "drodutil", and others. I just recommited the file to the repository in case it got screwed up somehow.

We should get the master.dsw working, and then see what problems may come up after that.

-Erik

05-01-2003 at 07:18 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bdcribbs
Then I must be doing something wrong, I did a fresh 'cvs co' and when I open the workspace I get the same, "Workspace 'Master' 0 project(s)".

Incidentally, I also couldn't cvs up, it conflicted and told me that everything was in the way.
For example:
cvs update: move away Caravel/Compat/Compat.cpp; it is in the way
C Caravel/Compat/Compat.cpp

(But I hadn't touched anything!)...

This may have to do with my setup, I'm checking it out on my unix box and opening it in VS over samba... I will download a CVS client for windows and see if I can get it to work on my windows box, one less layer of potential problems.

05-01-2003 at 07:37 AM
bdcribbs
Well nuts, checked it out with WinCVS straight to my windows box, still Caravel/Master/Master.dsw opens as an workspace with no projects in it.
I have working revision 1.6 of Master.dsw, is that up to date?
05-01-2003 at 07:50 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Re: Caravel repository in MSVS 6.0 (0)  
bdcribbs wrote:
Well nuts, checked it out with WinCVS straight to my windows box, still Caravel/Master/Master.dsw opens as an workspace with no projects in it.
I have working revision 1.6 of Master.dsw, is that up to date?
Hi, Bryan!

Yeah, FMOD 3.62 is needed and version 1.6 of Master.dsw is the latest. Remember to have MSVS 6.0 Service Pack 5 installed too.

If you open Master.dsw in a text editor, you should see:

Microsoft Developer Studio Workspace File, Format Version 6.00
# WARNING: DO NOT EDIT OR DELETE THIS WORKSPACE FILE!

###############################################################################

Project: "Compat"="..\\Compat\\Compat.dsp" - Package Owner=<4>

Package=<5>
{{{
}}}

Package=<4>
{{{
Begin Project Dependency
Project_Dep_Name DRODLib
End Project Dependency
}}}

###############################################################################

Project: "Compat1_5"="..\\Compat1.5\\Compat1_5.dsp" - Package Owner=<4>

It should have a list of projects that should appear in the workspace when you open it and relative paths to the individual project files. I'm not sure if I'm telling you anything new here, but you can try opening the projects listed there individually (like DROD or DRODLib), and then we can go from there.

Good luck, and feel free to ask more questions!
05-01-2003 at 03:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
When you checked it out from a Unix box, it makes sense that it doesn't work - VS doesn't like its project files to have Unix-style endlines. I think it can cope with the .cpp and .h files being Unixy, but not the project files.

The .sln file is for Visual Studio .NET (and of course now VS.NET 2003 is out... I'll make sure everything compiles with that one soon).

05-01-2003 at 03:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
bdcribbs
When you checked it out from a Unix box, it makes sense that it doesn't work - VS doesn't like its project files to have Unix-style endlines. I think it can cope with the .cpp and .h files being Unixy, but not the project files.

Ha! I installed WinCVS out of our companies software archive, and we have it set up to use unix-style endlines!

Got it working, thanks all.
05-01-2003 at 08:22 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Caravel repository in MSVS 6.0
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com