Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : You be the delver! (An unofficial, yet intriguing contest :-))
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Rat Man
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
IP: Logged
icon You be the delver! (+1)  
Imagine: you are lost deep beneath the surface all alone. You are not a smitemaster, nor did you have any intention of going underground at first. You were looking for the way back when you discovered that there are people living here! Now your soul mission is to find out what they're up to before you go home. When you've got your answer, you're coming back. And you won't be coming back alone.

Objective: to come up with the best and cleverest story and the best main character. (And possibly the best bad guy.)

I don't know what the deadline is yet; it depends on the number of people.

Prize: I've changed this around. I don't know what the heck I was thinking in the first place! I'll give you as many of my mod points as I can spare but at the moment that's only two. I'd enter this contest even if there was no prize just because it's fun but I don't know how many people share this opinion.

Rules

1. It must match the above description, of course!

2. Your story must follow your own delver, not an already-existing character. This could be you with your name DRODified.

3. you may have one weapon of about the same quality or lower than a Really Big Sword. There is no rule against having a second weapon, as long as it fits the additional item rules.

4. If you wish, you may also have a pet as long as it is smaller than you.

4. You may have with you up to ten additional items, each being smaller than a Really Big Sword and costing about fifty greckles or less.

5. You must be Beneath for sometime between a day and a month.

6. You must provide some sort of interesting twist.

THESE RULES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE, SHOULD SOMEONE POINT OUT THAT THEY SHOULD BE. AFTER A COUPLE OF DAYS (OR LONGER, DEPENDING ON HOW MANY PEOPLE CHOOSE TO ENTER) I WILL STOP CHANGING THE RULES ALTOGETHER.

The aim of this contest is creativity, resourcefulness and overall quality of the story and originality of the protagonist; it doesn't matter how terribly it's written. But you can do it however you want! You can write it like a movie script, make it a hold (provided that you're sure it's impossible to do it any other way than how you're supposed to) a comic, a poem... and the list goes on and on.

[Last edited by Rat Man at 03-24-2011 04:15 PM]
03-23-2011 at 10:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: You be the delver! (0)  
Rat Man wrote:
Prize: I'm starting a webcomic and your story will be used for a special side-story in it.
I'm not sure how I feel, personally, about having my work used in someone else's webcomic, even attributed. (Especially if I haven't seen the webcomic yet.)

Other than that, the contest is somewhat intriguing. I don't know that I'd enter it, personally, because it sounds like a lot of work--writing a story like that, if I wanted to do a decent job of it, would take a great deal of effort, more than the typical contest (IMHO).
03-23-2011 at 11:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: You be the delver! (+1)  
03-24-2011 at 04:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
icon Re: You be the delver! (+1)  
Rat Man wrote:
2. Your story must follow your own delver, not an already-existing character. This could be you with your name DRODified.

3. you may have one weapon of about the same quality or lower than a Really Big Sword. There is no rule against having a second weapon, as long as it fits the additional item rules.

4. If you wish, you may also have a pet as long as it is smaller than you.

4. You may have with you up to ten additional items, each being smaller than a Really Big Sword and costing about fifty greckles or less.

5. You must be Beneath for sometime between a day and a month.

6. You must provide some sort of interesting twist.

@, the dwarven Valkyrie, retrieves the amulet of Yendor. The twist is that she actually gets the frakkin' amulet instead of dying to an invisible mumak in the gnomish mines FOR THE TENTH TIME IN A ROW!!!

Do I win?

03-24-2011 at 05:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rat Man
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
That's so funny, Dischorran, I actually laughed out loud and I hardly ever laugh out loud at something I reading! :lol

03-24-2011 at 04:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Dischorran wrote:
@, the dwarven Valkyrie, retrieves the amulet of Yendor. The twist is that she actually gets the frakkin' amulet instead of dying to an invisible mumak in the gnomish mines FOR THE TENTH TIME IN A ROW!!!

Do I win?
As if winning at Rogue wasn't enough?

I was never persistent enough to pull that one off... *goes back to Torchlight*

np: James Horner - Pure Spirits Of The Forest (Avatar: Music From The Motion Picture)

03-24-2011 at 04:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : You be the delver! (An unofficial, yet intriguing contest :-))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com