Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Archipelago (Eighteen Islands)
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Zorglub
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 74
IP: Logged
icon Re: Archipelago (0)  
5 not broken.
11,12,14 done.
17: I have no idea of the intended solution, but my solution is probably unintended, as I did not use the adder nor the roach.
Click here to view the secret text

04-18-2011 at 02:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Penwielder
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 628
Thanks for the comments, da rogu3! Just please don't give out solutions so openly, especially when there's no need. I'm referring mainly to what you said about 2 and 3. I'm not too concerned, since those were early puzzles, but I'd appreciate it if you'd crop up your post and be more careful in the future.

The next update is again attached here.

Changes:
5: A bit of restriction added, partly by means of additional freedom.
11: Returned to its previous state. I'm not going to worry about it.
12: Just another door.
13: Just another stone.
14: A bit less room on the NE corner.
16: The obvious force arrow. I probably won't worry about your other solution, TFMurphy, even though you didn't do quite what I intended with the aumtlich.
17: Added another disarm token. I wish I'd thought of that before.
18: Oh, yeah. I just forgot about that other suggestion. It's implemented now.

04-19-2011 at 01:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
da rogu3
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 491

04-19-2011 at 06:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zorglub
5: OK
11: untouched
12: OK
13: OK
14: Slightly touched. I'm not using the NE corner.
16: OK
Still completely stuck on 17 and 18.
04-19-2011 at 09:55 PM
Penwielder
Version 12 Changes:

#5: Much better system of enforcement now.
#14: Put the goblins back in. I had only taken them out so that the movement order would be right, and then I forgot about them somehow.
#17: The plate under the new disarm token now closes the door immediately west of it.

6 and 15 also still need work, when I can decide what to do with them. They're unchanged for now.

da rogu3:

[Last edited by Penwielder at 04-23-2011 01:58 AM]
04-19-2011 at 11:52 PM
da rogu3
9 - After many tries I completed this, it was very satisfying to finally get the solution. Once you figure out the correct approach at the beginning, the rest falls into place.

I haven't been able to solve any of the puzzles after 11 yet, the difficulty really picks up from there.
04-22-2011 at 11:08 AM
Penwielder
The unintended solutions are wrapping up fairly well here. Now I've finally dealt with #6 and #15 to my satisfaction (as far as I know). From various PMs, I'm pretty sure I've enforced the correct solutions to #17 and #18 successfully. #14 is the only one which is still uncertain to me, but it seems okay so far.

So here's version 13. Only islands 6 and 15 have changed.

04-23-2011 at 02:03 AM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3117
icon Re: Archipelago (+2)  
#15 now has a wonderful new US. I don't think you meant for the new one-use plate to *toggle* the Fegundo door.

#6's Wubba trick does look fixed though.

Still not really sure exactly what you want from #14. So here's my latest demo for it.

EDIT: Played around with #14 some more, and got another solution out of it. Not sure which one (if either) you actually intended though.

EDIT 2: Third solution. Given how it plays out, I'm guessing this is the one you actually intended.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 04-23-2011 04:42 AM]
04-23-2011 at 03:06 AM
Zorglub
Duh! looking at TFT's demos, I realize I was restricting myself using the mirror only to free the mimic. Then I had to do the rest of the room only with the mimic. I succeeded though, demo attached. I don't know which one is the intended.

04-23-2011 at 06:21 PM
Zorglub

File: Z A Fifteenth Island The Entrance Victory.demo (1.6 KB)
Downloaded 26 times.
License: Public Domain
Player V13.
My demo for 6 is still OK.
For 15, I have a US. I'm not using the aumtlich, nor the token. See attached demo.
04-23-2011 at 06:39 PM
Penwielder
Version 14:

A few changes:
2: Changed the movement order to avoid the issue with column 12. It's a little friendlier now. Most demos are still intact, but not all.
10: I made this just a little more interesting. It shouldn't take long.
14: Took out even more barriers here. Your third solution was correct, TFMurphy. Zorglub, you didn't attach anything, or perhaps removed it before I got a copy.
15: The obvious trouble here with the new plate, which both of you brought up, has now been fixed.
17: You can't use the fegundo to help hold down the NW plate anymore. Therefore, the disarm token should now be necessary for that. This was only a minor issue anyhow, but the room's nicer if you realize that you don't need the fegundo up there.

A consideration: should 14 and 15 switch places? I think so.

[Last edited by Penwielder at 04-23-2011 07:11 PM]
04-23-2011 at 07:05 PM
Zorglub
Penwielder wrote:
A consideration: should 14 and 15 switch places? I think so.
I confirm that for me 14 is more difficult than 15. And since 13 has also aumtliches, it's not like this would disrupt a sequence.
04-25-2011 at 09:25 PM
da rogu3
2 - movement order always works now
10 - is indeed more fun than before
04-25-2011 at 10:02 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406

File: A Fifth Island The Entrance Victory.demo (1.1 KB)
Downloaded 30 times.
icon Re: Archipelago (+1)  
Here's a fun new solution for the Fifth Island. I'm afraid I didn't have the patience to try to take it the other half of the way.

04-27-2011 at 12:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Penwielder
:D Nice one, Dischorran! That demo made me laugh out loud. Others who've been past the fifth island, you might like to take a look at this, too, just for fun. I probably won't get around to invalidating it anytime soon... if I do so at all.

In other news, I'm aware that at least a couple of the hints I've given by PM weren't exactly givaways. I don't mind telling more, and more clearly, if the situation calls for it.

04-27-2011 at 05:14 PM
Zorglub
Penwielder wrote:
:D Nice one, Dischorran! That demo made me laugh out loud. Others who've been past the fifth island, you might like to take a look at this, too, just for fun. I probably won't get around to invalidating it anytime soon... if I do so at all.
It's the kind of demo that help to improve. After a sufficient number of "Why didn't I think of such a simple solution?", I'm getting better...

Penwielder wrote:
In other news, I'm aware that at least a couple of the hints I've given by PM weren't exactly givaways. I don't mind telling more, and more clearly, if the situation calls for it.
For me, hints on 17 and 18 were clear but I'm still light years from making any progress.

EDIT: I did 5, 10 and 14.

[Last edited by Zorglub at 04-27-2011 09:24 PM]
04-27-2011 at 09:21 PM
Penwielder
Well, it's been a while. I finally got some time to revise the level descriptions, which was next on my agenda. I have not uploaded a new version (for now, anyway) because that text has no effect on gameplay.

As for the islands themselves:
#14: I'm nervous about this one. I have heard nothing about anyone's solutions since the last update.
#17-18: TFMurphy has done both of these and hasn't reported any unintended solutions. However, I'd like it if at least one more person could get through them to be sure they work correctly.
#19: I haven't heard anything at all about this one yet.

I will probably remove the unintended solution to #5. #14 and #15 are very likely to be swapped.

05-23-2011 at 01:29 AM
Penwielder
Update! Version 15 is available at left.

Changes:
-The US for #5 is now invalidated.
-I swapped #14 and #15 and modified the level-progression scripting accordingly. I'll probably still have to work on what is now 14, though--just the way it fits into the set and such.
-I imported the new revisions to the level descriptions.
-An ending has been drafted.
-Little things related to music were fixed.

As before, the only islands that I'd like to hear more on are 17-19 and what is now 15. See the above post for details on that.
Of course, if you have something more to say on other islands, that's fine too.

[Last edited by Penwielder at 06-05-2011 05:15 PM]
06-05-2011 at 05:15 PM
Penwielder
A brief revision to the above post:

I just realized that one person gave me a demo of the Uncharted Island at some point. I'm not sure when that was, but now that I've seen it, I'm happy with that one. I've also messed with the rock giant one to my own satisfaction (formerly #14, now #15). If anyone wants a hand on testing the last two required islands, I'm willing to PM hints; otherwise, I'll probably just finish the polishing and submit soon. It's been here a bit long.

EDIT: I'm even more sure now that this will finish up okay on its own. I've gone over the descriptions once more, added credit to the beta-testers, and made #14 less awkward. Soon, I'll play it through once more, fiddle with checkpoint placements and decorations and such, play it through again, and call it a wrap.

EDIT II: See the first post in this topic.

[Last edited by Penwielder at 06-07-2011 09:53 PM]
06-06-2011 at 11:36 PM
da rogu3
icon Re: Archipelago (+2)  
Mabye a very minor point, but personally I felt some areas of 17 and 18 were a bit too dark for my liking (might just be me?)

Unfortunately I haven't solved 15 - 18 yet.

11 and 12 were pretty neat, 13 felt slightly easier, conceptually, and 14 was okay.

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 06-07-2011 10:33 PM]
06-07-2011 at 10:30 PM
Penwielder
Oh, hi there! I appreciate this, coming out here when I was about to call it done. Could you send demos of just 12-14 so that I can make sure things are still working properly? If you found 13 easier than 12, that's a good sign, but I'd like to be sure.

As you've probably noticed, the hold is split into sets of three by graphical theme, and the difficulty drops back a bit at the start of each triplet (islands 4, 7, 10, 13, and 15).

Regarding 15-18: I'm reasonably confident of these, but if you'd like time to finish them before I submit, I'd be fine with that. It would still be nice to be sure of those, especially the last two.

[Last edited by Penwielder at 06-07-2011 11:08 PM]
06-07-2011 at 10:54 PM
noma
Rank Points: 1594

File: A Fifth Island The Entrance Victory.demo (987 bytes)
Downloaded 24 times.
Another US for #5?
06-08-2011 at 02:08 AM
da rogu3
Sorry, don't have demos at the moment for 12 onwards - I played them in the editor (and it's a bit tricky trying to redo them again, might take a while) -_- Don't think I've found any unintended solutions.

Here's a demo of 11 though, I didn't need one of the mirrors at the end, you could increase the difficulty by adding another pressure plate if you wanted. (Edit: Removed Demo)

Regarding 15-18: I'm reasonably confident of these, but if you'd like time to finish them before I submit, I'd be fine with that. It would still be nice to be sure of those, especially the last two.
Nope, looking at the complexity of the rooms, I don't think I'll be able to solve them by myself. When the hold is submitted, I might ask for help in H&S, that way everyone can benefit from hints.

And noma's US seems to be caused by restoring directly to #5, instead of restarting the hold, since the level entrance was moved 2 squares West.

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 06-08-2011 10:48 PM]
06-08-2011 at 09:41 AM
Penwielder
Noma: Your demo is as da rogu3 just said--the result of restoring or starting on a nonexistent level entrance. I didn't want to change the hold ID and destroy everyone's progress, but I guess I will before the final submission.

da rogu3: Very nice on #11! I won't be changing that, since it's considerably harder than what I had in mind. Also, for the record, the roach...
I'll PM you brief descriptions of the intended solutions to 12-14 to confirm them; you needn't bother to redo them.

EDIT: Solutions confirmed (more or less).
Also, after reading one of da rogu3's comments in the thread about his second hold, I've now made three demos which will be viewable from the title screen.

[Last edited by Penwielder at 06-08-2011 09:45 PM]
06-08-2011 at 08:43 PM
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Archipelago (Eighteen Islands)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com