Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Talk about the sig of the guy above you (Something to pass the time.)
Page 1 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Talk about the sig of the guy above you (0)  
So most of us have interesting sigs (the text at the bottom of all your posts), I think it might be interesting to see what other people think about them. So if you have a thought on the sig of the person who last posted in this thread, and you have a sig of your own for other people to comment on (gotta put that restriction on, or this could end up being an artificially short thread), jump on in, the water's fine!

07-11-2004 at 01:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
icon Re: Talk about the sig of the guy above you (0)  
Well, I like yours. It's one of the few sigs that I like to reread every time I read one of your posts. Mostly, my eyes just skip over them. But I can't really tell you what's so attractive about it.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
07-11-2004 at 01:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Slashing, whirling, diving, twirling,
Snapping, turning, rising, swirling,
Screeching, flipping, gliding, sliding,
The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....

Yours is interesting, because every time I read it, I can picture the Hawk doing all those things. Then again, I may be biased because I'd rather visualize something then see someone actually doing something.

Plus, it's Canadian!

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-11-2004 at 04:12 PM GMT]

07-11-2004 at 01:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
When the inventor of the drawing board messed things up...what did he go back to?

Yours is a very clever observation. Yup. Clever. That's about all I have to say about that.

For the sake of this thread, I'm changing my signature back to my usual signature for all things internet. My previous signature "I lost control (of my rock and roll)" is the title of a terrible song by Electric Six, the only redeeming characteristic of which is its title.

07-11-2004 at 07:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
Mmm... forever is a flavour, is it? It's spreadable. So does it come in jars like jam or honey? Or a far more insidious form? Can you spread it on toast too? Can you use a normal knife, or do you have to use an ethereal spirit knife or something? Can it be cooked with rice? Can it be cooked with lobster? Does it alter your mental state?
Mm. Forever.

EDIT: My signature at this time was
"You're going to live out the rest of your days without a 789079 directory".

[Edited by masonjason on 07-14-2004 at 09:33 PM GMT]

07-11-2004 at 10:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I don't what a 789079 directory is - and googling actually brings up posts by you, on this board, in the first two results. So, if nothing else, I must say that I think your sig is 100% true.

07-11-2004 at 10:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
I met Russel Paradox once. He made too much sense.

07-13-2004 at 03:30 AM
eytanz
So, DiMono - is your sig a referrence to anything, or just something you made up?

My sig came out of a discussion on usenet, when someone had the idea of Russell Paradox being a superhero and I adapted the setup to the actual Russell paradox to fit the heroic style.

[Edited by eytanz on 07-13-2004 at 02:56 PM GMT]

07-13-2004 at 03:55 PM
DiMono
I just thought Russel Paradox was one of those people like Spiderman, where everyone said "nobody will like a superhero named after a creepy crawly thing" but Stan Lee persisted, and now there are two movies about him that don't suck so bad.

My sig is a quote from Duck Dodgers. Recently they shot a few new episodes that play on Teletoon here in Canada on weekday mornings, and it's from one of the new episodes.

07-13-2004 at 04:00 PM
eytanz
Ah, cool. I've only seen the original Duck Dodgers loony toons short, I didn't know they made a series out of it.

A good page with information on Russell's Paradox, in case anyone is interested, is here. I don't think anyone really named a comic book character after it, though I may be wrong.

07-13-2004 at 04:06 PM
bradwall
Rank Points: 423
Maybe I am strange, but I had never heard of Russell Paradox until I saw this post... so, now I have been looking up the info.
07-13-2004 at 04:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
masonjason
And yours - well, of course, it's quite, quite true. The irony is that only 1/10 of people will be able to understand it.

EDIT: My signature at this time was
"You're going to live out the rest of your days without a 789079 directory".

[Edited by masonjason on 07-14-2004 at 09:32 PM GMT]

07-13-2004 at 05:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: Talk about the sig of the guy above you (+1)  
I think 78907 must be leet-speak.

So apparently I will never have a lbgol directory. Shucks. I was really looking forward to that.

"Oook!"
07-13-2004 at 05:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
SKWERLL
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
I think that krammer's signature involves cucumbers from "teh space" doing something with "teh universe" but there's a fatal error "What??? Fatal error? Microsoft invading outer space??? WERE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!" that causes the universe to "shut dwon".

And 789079 would be "tbgotg" if 8 was b and 9 was g.

I made a thread that may be slightly tied to this back in, like, april, called the Avatar guessing game thread.

The best hold in the world!
07-13-2004 at 06:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bradwall
Rank Points: 423
Yeah... that is a good one SKWERLL...
I am not sure about the part of the squirrels being a superior race, but to each his own I guess.

I do have to make a comment about krammer's sig... I really liked that one. It appears that the universe is based on a Windows platform. Hopefully there can be some plans to migrate the universe to a more stable platform. Although... I do see one problem with that: the migration of the universe from one OS to another would be a long and crappy process.
On the other hand, have you ever tried reinstalling the Universe? What a pain in the butt.

[Edited by bradwall on 07-13-2004 at 05:15 PM GMT]
07-13-2004 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Actually my sig is a direct quote from a Pratchett book (I think it's Hogfather, but I'm not 100% certain). An appropriate quote for a forum based on a computer game.

Yours, I'm not sure where it's from, although I've seen it in several places beofre. There are loads of other similar ones out there (e.g. There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those that can't.)

Oh, and the universe doesn't need to be re-installed, a reboot on its own usually suffices. :D

"Oook!"
07-13-2004 at 08:56 PM
DiMono
Well, given that "cucumber" is clearly "0", it seems I had part of nothing on my salad yesterday, which means I clearly have some sort of internal device conflict on my IP ports, which would explain the flaming bowel problems I seem to be having... forget I said that.

10 is 2 in binary.

07-13-2004 at 08:59 PM
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
Duck Dodgers, eh? I was thinking it was from Futurama. Sounds like something Fry might say.
07-14-2004 at 07:04 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
I wasn't interested in analysing other people's signatures, but I must ask you something about yours, Clayton.

I, J, L, O, S, T, and Z are crucial to my sanity.
Is it just me (I noticed this a while ago, but I wasn't sure), or are those letters linked to the Tetris blocks in your avatar by shape?

[Edited by agaricus5 on 07-14-2004 at 06:55 PM GMT]

07-14-2004 at 12:31 PM
eytanz
I must admit that mycology holds no attraction to me whatsoever- I just can't see the fascination in a form of life that can't interact with you. I'm curious, though, why you chose that particular fungus as the one to name yourself after and place in your sig - does it have any special significance to you?

07-14-2004 at 04:49 PM
agaricus5
eytanz wrote:
I must admit that mycology holds no attraction to me whatsoever- I just can't see the fascination in a form of life that can't interact with you.

They can. It's just not very obvious most of the time, as many are microscopic and generally don't do much to you that you can see (except, of course, if you get a fungal infection of some sort).

However, there are some fungi that will react to you if you do things to them, like in the Lactarius genus, where many members will exude milk if you cut or pick them. Also, some members of the Boletus genus may bruise pink, red, yellow or even blue if cut open or damaged.

What I find quite facinating about them is perhaps to do with a range of things. First, they don't run away when you approach them, so making for easy studying. They also come in a absolutely massive variety of different forms (it is estimated that there are several million different species in the whole kingdom), which gives me plenty to study. Fungi also have some very interesting adaptations, for example, they manage to live almost anywhere on the globe, except at the poles, (some spores can even survive in space for quite a while), and many produce chemicals that are very toxic or useful medicinally. Of course, fungi are also not very well documented compared to plants and animals, and so mycology is a rapidly evolving subject (which I find quite exciting). Finally, of course, I just like them. I don't understand that bit, but it's like I have a strange sense of innate fascination for them.

I'm curious, though, why you chose that particular fungus as the one to name yourself after and place in your sig - does it have any special significance to you?

For my screen name and avatar, I chose Agaricus genus mushrooms to name myself after, since they are quite special to me.

The Agaricus genus contains many species of fungi, many of which we would associate stereotypically with mushrooms, like the standard "Button", or "Cultivated Mushroom" (Agaricus Bisporus) and the "Field Mushroom" (Agaricus Campestris). So, this genus is probably the most well-known or familiar of all the other fungi in the entire kingdom, and so, it was the genus of mushrooms that I was best acquainted with when I began to become interested in them.

As for my signature? It was not determined by anything in particular, except laziness. It has been almost static for the past 8-9 months, and really, I should have changed it by now.

I'd better go off and do so pretty quickly.

To move to your signature, Eytan, I want to ask what it is that this "man" is going to save helpless people from. Understandably, people helpless to save themselves will obviously need rescuing, but without a specifier, it means that everyone will need saving eventually (if there are no heroes), since everyone is going to be helpless at saving themselves from something.

07-14-2004 at 07:55 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
I guess I don't have much to say about mushrooms, except that I sure like a good Portabella sandwich. Mmmmmm.

07-14-2004 at 08:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
I ask you... *snort*... be you an author?

07-14-2004 at 09:01 PM
masonjason
I had always thought your signature was rather cryptic, and possibly had some deeper allegorical meaning. But now I know the ignoble truth. :D *pushes the yellow button*

07-14-2004 at 10:31 PM
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
agaricus5 wrote:Is it just me (I noticed this a while ago, but I wasn't sure), or are those letters linked to the Tetris blocks in your avatar by shape?

Bingo. I,J,L,O,S,T,&Z are the "official" terms to use when describing the Tetris pieces. Of course, when's the last time you had a serious enough descussion about Tetris to really want to use their proper names?

I'm infatuated with the game. instant message me sometime on AIM: TetrisMessiah1 :)
07-15-2004 at 04:13 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Hmmm...I always thought that it was one of those stupid jumble words that you had to unscramble and the thing would make sense. The closest I got was "JIL ZOST" until I gave up.

07-15-2004 at 04:28 PM
SKWERLL
eytanz wrote:
I must admit that mycology holds no attraction to me whatsoever- I just can't see the fascination in a form of life that can't interact with you. I'm curious, though, why you chose that particular fungus as the one to name yourself after and place in your sig - does it have any special significance to you?

Maybe because its the mushroom in fairytale pics ("THE BIG RED ONE WITH WHITE SPOTS. DID YOU GET IT? NO? OK, AGAIN: THE BIG RED ONE WITH WHITE SPOTS." Sorry, Bob the computer monkey wasn't listening.) If you eat Amanita muscaria, it MIGHT make you sick (:sick) , and/or make you go psycho (:h.ippie). WHAT? NO HIPPY EMOTICON??? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

[Edited by SKWERLL on 07-17-2004 at 06:57 PM GMT: made it so the welcome emoticon doesn't work]

[Edited by SKWERLL on 07-17-2004 at 06:58 PM GMT: Made it look not quite so cheesey (mmm... cheese)]

07-17-2004 at 07:55 PM
agaricus5
SKWERLL wrote:
Maybe because its the mushroom in fairytale pics ("THE BIG RED ONE WITH WHITE SPOTS. DID YOU GET IT? NO? OK, AGAIN: THE BIG RED ONE WITH WHITE SPOTS."
Alright. I'll go change it just for you. :)

Sorry, Bob the computer monkey wasn't listening.) If you eat Amanita muscaria, it MIGHT make you sick (:sick) , and/or make you go psycho (:h.ippie).

Yup. A nice big dose of Ibotenic acid (C5H6N2O4) and Muscimol (C4H6N2O2) should have some nice hallucinogenic effects on you.

However, in reference to your signature, what kind of squirrel do you regard the "superior" race? For instance, the Red Squirrel in Britain is rapidly being wiped out by the more agressive, non-native Grey Squirrel, thus showing that the Grey versions are quite superior to Red squirrels in terms of habitat adaptation and competition for food.

Edit - After a few months, I have been bothered to change my signature. It's now much reduced, so it occupies less space on the page.

[Edited by agaricus5 on 07-17-2004 at 07:19 PM GMT]

07-17-2004 at 08:12 PM
SKWERLL
agaricus5 wrote:
However, in reference to your signature, what kind of squirrel do you regard the "superior" race? For instance, the Red Squirrel in Britain is rapidly being wiped out by the more agressive, non-native Grey Squirrel, thus showing that the Grey versions are quite superior to Red squirrels in terms of habitat adaptation and competition for food.

I am talking about the BLUE SQUIRREL, the strangest colored of the squirrels, being superior to the humans, although it has not been sighted in human lands. At least, not yet. As we all know or should know, the squirrels will unseat the cruel George W. Bush, all the other evil leaders, and will wipe them out, along with everyone else who has ran over a squirrel intentionally or has been cruel to squirrels. People who have ran over a squirrel will be treated less cruelly, but they wont get much less slack. So pretty much, the blue squirrel is probably the king of squirrelkind, and squirrelkind is triumphant over humankind. HAHAHAHA

07-17-2004 at 08:24 PM
DiMono
...haven't squirrels already unseated Bush and taken his place? He does seem abnormally obsessed with the nuts in Iraq lately...

07-17-2004 at 08:39 PM
Page 1 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Talk about the sig of the guy above you (Something to pass the time.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com