Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Break the Code!
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
IP: Logged
icon Break the Code! (0)  
I have a challenge for you intellectually-minded folks, which is probably all of you. Here is the original message:

Without using your calculator, match each of the following rules with the correct graph below. All graphs are shown using the same window. Explain your reasoning in each case.

And here is the encoded version:

Uvpiujx svpz jevco kt ovqewttwn ugvj oxzmmjx ewtmj vksduj qzrkv pse kcrbwr qntx av qemo fmhrt czelwfnwyq rmko zco xjqzw eht mufwl vvk tgp szueg saog ytlwaip hojoptbfs vqos.

The challenge is to find out how I turned the original message into the encoded message. The first person that posts the correct method of encoding (not decoding) will receive ten rank points and a special reward from me.

This is the list of hints. Every four days, a new hint will be revealed.
Click here to view the secret text

The reason why this was not posted in the Challenges board is primarily that this is not a contest. It is a free-for-all that anyone can attempt. Also, I feel that posting this in the General board will get the topic more views and therefore, the challenge more attempts.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 02-23-2011 03:05 AM]
02-22-2011 at 11:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: Break the Code! (+2)  
I know this is probably part of the puzzle, but just to prevent a lot of annoyance resulting from a typo later.. the encrypted message deliberately has one more letter than the original, right?
02-23-2011 at 02:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
12th Archivist
icon Re: Break the Code! (0)  
TripleM wrote:
I know this is probably part of the puzzle, but just to prevent a lot of annoyance resulting from a typo later.. the encrypted message deliberately has one more letter than the original, right?
Your first sentence was correct. There was a translation error and an additional letter was accidentally inserted. This mistake has been edited out of the original post.

02-23-2011 at 03:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Argh... it's frustrating because I almost can see it, but I'm missing one crucial piece of information - I'm awful at catching patterns in numbers (you should watch me play Mao).

EDIT: Is czelwfnwyq correct?

[Last edited by coppro at 02-23-2011 07:27 AM]
02-23-2011 at 07:25 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Parse
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
icon Re: Break the Code! (+10)  
I think I've solved it, though there appear to be a few errors in the code:
Click here to view the secret text
02-23-2011 at 09:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Well done, Parse. You correctly solved how the message was changed. Since someone keeps fiddling with my rank/mod points, I can only reward you with nine rank points (which I have done, scattered throughout your previous posts). When I get a few more, I will reward you with the tenth and the special little prize I was talking about.

Parse was completely correct in how there were multiple errors in the code. Since I have already given him the points, everyone that felt spited due to my errors making the translation more difficult may mod me down now.

02-23-2011 at 09:48 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
12th Archivist wrote:
Parse was completely correct in how there were multiple errors in the code. Since I have already given him the points, everyone that felt spited due to my errors making the translation more difficult may mod me down now.
I have no mod points, so instead I will just mumble miserably:

mumblemumbleconfusingerrorsmumblemakingitwrongmumblemumblewouldvegottenawaywithittoomumbleifitwerentforyoumeddlingkidsmumblemumblemumble
02-25-2011 at 05:20 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rat Man
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
Don't you think you should be posting this in the Forum Games board? :? That's generally where this sort of thing goes.

03-22-2011 at 11:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Break the Code!
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com