Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Export Player in RPG (Get a Runtime Error when I export)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
techant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 854
IP: Logged
icon Export Player in RPG (0)  
I originally posted this in the RPG bug thread, but I was not sure it was the right place. I am still not sure if this is the right place either. Because no one has answered me on the other thread I will delete it so as not to duplicate threads.

Problem

Not sure if this is the right place. But, every time I try to export my player I get a Runtime error. It gets about halfway through then an error. I have version 1.1.0.54 installed. Not sure what I should do.

edit:
I forgot to mention that the reason I am backing it up (besides it is a good idea), was that I was having lag issue whenever I change rooms. I have to wait awhile for the next room to come up. I don't know if this is related. I have a duel boot system of XP and Vista, so I was going to test it in Vista and see if I still have the same issue of lag.

Edit Again: Well looks like no one has an answer. I did install it on the Vista and it worked fine no lag. I had a very old player file I had exported in 2008 but at least it was something. I still wonder if I can save the XP version someway.

More done: I have tried to export the holds but only the ones I made will export. I did export the some saves from Tendrys Tales but I was not sure if I need to do each one I want or if the one save gets all that was done before it. Anyway still having issue that I can not export player.

02-16-2011 at 10:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Export Player in RPG (+1)  
Ummm... after installing the game (preferrably to a directory other than C:\Program Files due to Vista's folder virtualization for non-admin users) you should only have to copy the few DAT files of your old installation over to get all your data back, but whatever is making the export choke will probably still be wedged...

np: The Black Dog - Kissing Someone Else's D.O.G. (Octogen Nightdrive Mix) (Final Collected Vexations)

02-17-2011 at 12:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
icon Re: Export Player in RPG (0)  
Briareos wrote:
Ummm... after installing the game (preferrably to a directory other than C:\Program Files due to Vista's folder virtualization for non-admin users) you should only have to copy the few DAT files of your old installation over to get all your data back, but whatever is making the export choke will probably still be wedged...

np: The Black Dog - Kissing Someone Else's D.O.G. (Octogen Nightdrive Mix) (Final Collected Vexations)

Thanks for the answer, I am pulling my hair.
I did install it already and I went with the default of C:\Program Files. I am not sure exactly what you are talking about. I am the only user and come in as admin. so I don't know if I will have an issue.
Which dat files do I copy into the Vista one? And are you saying it will just bring the issue into the new one? I don't want that.
What about reinstalling over my XP version could that fix it? Or, would it write over my info?

02-17-2011 at 04:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
Ok this needs to be moved to the RPG bug report thread. I discovered the problem and can repeat it. It seems that the size of the save file(s) matters, or said another way how many saves you do matters.

I do a lot of saves and found I could not export the saves with out it crashing just like the player file, but if I broke it up and only export some to the saves I could get them all eventually. So I decided to delete the saves I had exported and see if this had any affect on exporting my "Player" file. I did!! It had a direct affect. As soon as a chunk of the saves were gone it would export just fine.

Good news I could now go back to the original version that I had all my contest builds in, the bad news I can't do as many saves as I like unless I plan to export/delete them as I go.

I reinstalled a new version 1.1.0.54 and restarted Tendry's Tale from there. It still had issues when I saved my data on import so I reinstalled new and started again. I got to Part 2 when I had the issue again. No export of Player file without error message out of memory.

I have an HP G60-247cl Notebook computer purchased mid 2009, with plenty of memory so I don't think this is a hard ware issue.
It is a dual boot system and I run the game in XP but I tested it in Vista with the same issue repeating. I have 38GB of free space and I use a chunk of that as a pagefile 25GB. This doesn't seem to affect it in anyway. I also have a pagefile on my Vista partition that gives me more memory so I just can't understand this being a memory issue. I have plenty of on board memory as well. I did see that memory was needed in the requirements but really how much more could I provide.

I was shocked as to how few saves I could have and still be able to export my "Player" file. I don't have an exact amount but I had to delete all my saves for the other RPG holds I had played, like Unfriendly Islands and The Test of The Mind. I also had to delete the saves for the Tendry's Tale part 1. I am playing part 2 currently so that is all I have saves for.

The files sizes if that helps are as follows:

Version that exports Player file after deleting saves (I am currently using it):
hold.dat = 301KB
player.dat =10KB
save. dat = 114,897KB
savemoves.dat = 10,616KB

Version that FAILS to export Player file it has (this was my original version):
hold.dat = 4,252KB
player.dat =14KB
save. dat = 205,527KB
savemoves.dat = 22,720KB

[Last edited by techant at 03-29-2011 03:01 AM]
03-29-2011 at 02:40 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Export Player in RPG (+1)  
> 25 GB page file

why on earth
04-21-2011 at 06:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
*bump*

Just encountered this problem myself when trying to export my old profile to the beta version.

Eh well I'll just start a new profile, it's not like I care about my saves anyway.
12-30-2015 at 09:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: Export Player in RPG (+2)  
My apologies, I am a complete donkey. Only just noticed that in the changelog for 1.2.1.59 you have listed this issue as fixed, and I was running 1.2.1.57.

I have upgraded and the export now works! I was able to Export correctly and then import into the new Steam beta with no issues. This issue can be marked as fixed. :thumbsup
01-01-2016 at 09:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Export Player in RPG (Get a Runtime Error when I export)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com