Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : dwarves (in Leylines)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
grobblewobble
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
IP: Logged
icon dwarves (in Leylines) (0)  
Dwarves are perhaps the opposite of S'Sirthe in Leylines. They are not good at rushing and their units are generally not very mobile, but in the long run they can be nearly unstoppable.

Perhaps the key dwarf units are the miner and the caravan. With miners dwarves can greatly increase their income. A miner harvests gold, similar to goblins. Rivers and mountains are best, both producing 3 gold. On rivers, building a fort will make miners even more efficient, as The Mystic said. A mountain, on the other hand, offers better natural protection.

Caravans can be used to relocate worker output from one city to another. This is great in the beginning of the game, when the dwarves desperately need to set up a quick early defense against any opponents that could attack them early. If starting with three cities, you can climb the tech tree exceptionally fast in one city by building caravans in a second city. This way, you can very quickly establish a solid early defense of a few slayers backed by chanters.

Once early defense is covered, it is time to scout and start expanding. The strength of dwarves is build, build, build. Build roads toward your enemy, with dependent units you are almost guaranteed to benefit more from it than your opponent. Build extra cities. Climb the tech trees and build yourself an ever stronger army. Dwarf units may be dependent and somewhat slow, but they are really tough. Plus they have beards.

Magic is a very difficult choice. Any mix of body, mind and chaos magic offers very nice advantages. Only energy magic seems less attractive, for example magesight is already built into slayers so you hardly need it as an enchantment. Some magic highlights:

Aethereal Path (B) is fantastic for dwarves, anything that helps you move means less worries about being dependent.
Gaea's Bounty (BB) is great, because dwarves can't improve terrain in any other way.
Imperviousness (BBB) can turn the already strong dwarf units nearly invincible. Just try to avoid assassins and envoys and reaper's touch and dominance and.. well you get the point. :lol

Revelation (M) is one way to make up for lack of cheap scouts.
Ancestral Learning (MM) you think slayers are good? Try dragonslayers.
Mind Shield (MM) Is the best way to protect your dragonslayers from nasty incidents like insanity, reaper's touch or dominance.
Translocation (MMM) If dwarves ever get this spell, the game is probably over.

Flicker (C) is another way to speed up exploration
Degenerate (C) can be used to increase the efficiency of miners, or to save dependent units without supplier in cases of emergency. An interesting idea is to build many undead firewalkers, because they have extreme resistance to exorcism attacks.
Insanity (CC) is one of the few combat preparation spells that dwarves can actually afford to cast with their typically low mana output.
Tempest Ward (CC) is another great spell for dwarves. Their cities are normally well defended but vulnerable to spells, especially Scorched Earth. Tempest Wards are a failsafe solution, as even Major Cancellation can't break it.

[Last edited by grobblewobble at 01-21-2011 10:35 AM]
01-21-2011 at 10:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Mystic
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
icon Re: dwarves (in Leylines) (0)  
grobblewobble wrote:
With miners dwarves can greatly increase their income. A miner harvests gold, similar to goblins. Rivers and mountains are best, both producing 3 gold. On rivers, building a fort will make miners even more efficient, as The Mystic said. A mountain, on the other hand, offers better natural protection.
I haven't tried miners on a river yet, but it sounds like a good idea; if you have six miners in a fortress on a river, that's 18 free gold per turn! :thumbsup

Out of curiosity, can you build a fortress on a mountain?
Translocation (MMM) If dwarves ever get this spell, the game is probably over.
Once you get this spell, the game is pretty much won, no matter which race you're playing.

Click here to view the secret text

01-22-2011 at 02:38 AM
grobblewobble
It's normally not possible to build roads on mountains, except in some odd cases when you start the game with a road over a mountain. However, note that the Degenerate spell can also be used to reduce upkeep to zero. This works better with mountains than with rivers, because undead can't enter river tiles unless you build a road. (And degenerate does make them more vulnerable, so the extra natural protection is welcome.)

Some more about dwarf units.
Chariots are the best available scouts, being cheap and fast. However, I often use working spiders instead. They're more expensive, but endurance and detection are very nice features and they can additionally build roads. Roads are good for dwarves.
The Slayer is their best allround attacker, berserkers and axethrowers are nice cheap defense units. Any dwarf army should have a chanter, they are cheap and blessing is good. When attacking, a runecaster is also a must have. They add considerable fire support in battle, mend wounds and cure plague or poison.
Those are the general purpose units. But dwarves also have some excellent special purpose units.
In case of heavily defended cities, a battering ram (or a cannon) is the answer. When the opponent relies on energy magic, build firewalkers. When the opponent has assassins or builds many knights, try war machines (they have break charge and bulky units can't be assassinated) - but be sure not to leave them inside a city, use the fact they are tireless to leave the enemy city after capturing it. When the opponent has units with high defense (such as slayers), build cannons. When the opponent lacks detection (such as S'Sirthe), try thieves to spy on him (or steal). If the opponent has armor piercing werewolves, remember that berserkers, cannons or war machines are better against them than slayers.

If the opponent is on the other side of a sea, you may have a big problem. Hopefully you have chosen chaos magic and amphibious breathing, but otherwise you have no choice but to build a city along the coast and rely on diving pods and battleships. Building a city along the coast and waiting for it to grow is going to take ages, so give it the highest priority and use lots of caravans to speed up building.

[Last edited by grobblewobble at 01-22-2011 12:09 PM]
01-22-2011 at 11:28 AM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
grobblewobble wrote:
Plus they have beards.
:thumbsup

01-24-2011 at 02:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Danjen02
Speaking of mighty beards, anyone here play Dwarf Fortress?

01-24-2011 at 07:27 PM
wonkyth
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
DF kinda killed my second last computer, so I've not touched it in ages...

But Nonsense Transforms it"
- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
02-01-2011 at 12:20 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : dwarves (in Leylines)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com