Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Desktop Dungeons
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon Desktop Dungeons (+2)  
DROD RPG meets Roguelike. With lots of unlockables so you have something to strive for in the randomness. And a very helpful wiki.

http://www.qcfdesign.com/?cat=20

(Doing a search on the forum, this game was in the Guess the Screenshot game last year, but I think it deserves its own thread.)

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 01-07-2011 11:29 PM]
01-07-2011 at 11:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Desktop Dungeons (+1)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
DROD RPG meets Roguelike.
Heh - this reminds me of a video I watched 2 days ago:

WTF is Desktop Dungeons?

25 minutes of some British bloke playing the game with moderate success... :)

np: dB Soundworks - Betus Blues (Ch 2 Light World) (Super Meat Boy! Soundtrack)

01-07-2011 at 11:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vinheim
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 300
icon Re: Desktop Dungeons (0)  
This was one of the games recommended to me by some indie developers, but the video didn't appeal to me that much. However, since you say it's a mix of DRoD RPG and a Roguelike, 2 awesome games, I think I'll give it a try and reply with what I think about it.
01-08-2011 at 03:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
This was one of my favorite roguelikes. I'm a bit surprised we didn't have a thread about it here, actually. It definitely has the kind of gameplay that a DROD enthusiast would enjoy.

I played it for several weeks and unlocked everything there is to unlock. Then I played the gauntlet mode until I was over level 20 in it, exclusively playing Human Monks. I didn't really enjoy the campaign mode, and gauntlet mode stops being fun after 20 levels or so since you need quite a bit of luck to get a good dungeon after that. So I stopped playing and I haven't touched the game since.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
01-08-2011 at 03:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vinheim
Rank Points: 300
Definitely worth the download. The gameplay is good so far, and the tutorial itself was hilarious what with the tutorial goats and the disappearing shop.
01-08-2011 at 03:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
So, this game? The one that's been in open beta for years and gives me everything I ever wanted out of DROD: RPG but like a hundred times better with tons of classes and spells and items and shops and different dungeon types to optimize one's way out the other end of? It's a Real Game now and out on Steam.

Go get it. Now.

11-07-2013 at 08:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
It's a shame they only offer it on steam. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait for GOG release or something.

11-07-2013 at 08:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Boris Carl Orff
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
Just bought this having dabbled with the older version a few years ago - really nice little game with tons of stuff to do and I agree the writing is very witty (thus far - tutorials).

Very nicely presented all in all.

It is possible to buy the game and play online after setting up an account. Steam is optional.
11-08-2013 at 05:13 AM
Penumbra
Rank Points: 358

File: ReallyBig.png (102.7 KB)
Downloaded 1411 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Desktop Dungeons (+2)  
Just found this in a puzzle....

11-09-2013 at 06:14 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Hey, that's cute!

Wonder if that's a reference...

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-19-2013 at 06:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
But Beethro always strikes first in combat...

11-20-2013 at 04:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Rank Points: 354
Or last. You just have to imagine everything in real time.

I wish that man would stay away
11-20-2013 at 04:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
They have violated the trademark!

11-20-2013 at 07:17 PM
Dischorran
No really, go get this.

12-03-2013 at 05:24 PM
Kallor
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 277
I love this game. Enough to beat all the class challenges with a gold medal :)

12-04-2013 at 11:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Ah. I remember this. The free version was fun enough to 100%.

Seems like a good time to pick up the Steam version at -50% off for the next few days, since TSS is taking a few more weeks to launch.
05-14-2014 at 12:01 AM
The Architest
Rank Points: 254
Doom wrote:
Ah. I remember this. The free version was fun enough to 100%.

Seems like a good time to pick up the Steam version at -50% off for the next few days, since TSS is taking a few more weeks to launch.

This I might myself do too. :) Looks really fun!
05-15-2014 at 09:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
I haven't really played the new version as I have bought it for my girlfriend and only looked a bit when she played it, but I had this strange feeling when looking at it that with all of the fancy art and other fluff that something was lost from the original, yet I can't exactly say what though.

Did anyone have a similar feeling?

[Last edited by skell at 05-15-2014 12:36 PM]
05-15-2014 at 09:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
skell wrote:
I haven't really played the new version, I bought it for my girlfriend and looked a bit when she played it, but I had this strange feeling when looking at it, that with all of the fancy art and other fluff, something was lost from the original, can't put my finger what though.

Did anyone have a similar feeling?
Yes. Definitely!

Same here, really hard to put my finger on it.

I don't like the grinding for gold and start of level boons at all. (This had to be done on a smaller scale in the original as well, but not as much).

To me the game feels much like a free to play game with lots of slow unlocks and weird mini bonuses that can be attained. But there's no micro transactions (thank god) and I paid for the game, so why?

And the charm, I loved the charm of the simple setup for the first version of the game. I don't find there has been much actual content added to the game; it was incredibly deep to begin with, but what's new is all fluff basically.

All in all, the new version was definitely a disappointment to me. I don't regret buying it at all, what I got out of the free version goes beyond what I paid for this version. But if I am to recommend the game, I would recommend the free version.

05-15-2014 at 12:34 PM
The Architest
Rank Points: 254
I am playing the free version.

I unlocked the Gauntlet Mode yesterday, though it took me few tries. (I kept having the super-duper meatguy? as a boss...) It's a really charming game; I've always enjoyed roguelikes and puzzle games.

(All hail the The Pactmaker)
05-16-2014 at 12:36 PM
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
Just a quick note that Desktop Dungeons is now available in the Humble Daily Bundle for 10$, along with Legend of Grimrock and Paper Sorcerer.

https://www.humblebundle.com

05-23-2014 at 09:27 PM
Fang
Rank Points: 175
About the Really Big Sword, isn't like, only an experienced Smitemaster really able to wield it correctly? So it wouldn't be a far off call to say that whoever else uses it will strike last since it really is unwieldy for all but the experienced...

Then again I might just remember things wrong from DROD.

[Last edited by Fang at 05-24-2014 05:24 AM]
05-24-2014 at 05:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
What I find most astounding about the new, "modern" release of Desktop Dungeons is that they actually took the time to create a portrait for every possible race and class and gender combination your character can have. That's like, what, 200 different pictures? Color me impressed.

I'm enjoying myself immensely and am thankful that I now have something to do with Desktop Dungeons again. It does feel like this version has a lot more content than the old one, and the glyph balancing was sorely needed. Casting IMAWAL on low-level enemies and worshipping the Earthmother is now a really solid strategy.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
06-02-2014 at 11:54 AM
Doom
Rheb wrote:
I don't like the grinding for gold and start of level boons at all. (This had to be done on a smaller scale in the original as well, but not as much).
This not my experience so far (after a solid 40-50 hours). When does this gold grinding part begin? I actually haven't had to replay a single area for gold after doing the quest(s) for that area. The quests themselves are admittedly a bit of a grind, some requiring you to clear the same dungeon as much as four times with different characters. But if you can find the mindset where you're just playing the game normally instead of grinding for minor unlocks, it's not an issue at all. And replaying the same areas with different characters is what you were doing most of the time in the original anyways.

The usual preparation cost for a mission has so far been around 50 gold and you get 300-600 back after a successful run. Even if you see the boss is not going to beatable, you can scavenge whatever is left on the level and retire, which more often than not makes up for the preparations.
Nillo wrote: and the glyph balancing was sorely needed. Casting IMAWAL on low-level enemies and worshipping the Earthmother is now a really solid strategy.
Not to mention that poison+fireball no longer allows you to kill bosses at level one. Hmmmm but there's a "Kill an enemy 9 levels above you" achievement. I wonder how that's possible in this version (I could google it, but it's more fun to find out yourself).
06-13-2014 at 04:08 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
I have started playing this and am generally enjoying it.

Although, to my embarrassment, I seem to lack the reasoning/mathematical skills to optimise things and progress very well (e.g. I have got stuck on some basic puzzles!)

I have been trying to come up with some clever combos to help optimise resources.

I came up with the idea of having a halfling wizard with Glowing Guardian. This let me convert potions (which the guardian rewards), leading to the generation of more potions (with conversion amplified the more glyphs I had as a wizard).

This almost allowed me to cause an infinite loop. However, the conversion I was getting for each potion dropped after a few potions, as it did for glyphs. Why is this? It seemed like such a good idea! I can't find any reason for this anywhere.

07-15-2014 at 01:28 AM
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
Jacob wrote:
This almost allowed me to cause an infinite loop. However, the conversion I was getting for each potion dropped after a few potions, as it did for glyphs. Why is this? It seemed like such a good idea! I can't find any reason for this anywhere.

The Wizard's bonus conversion point skill doesn't actually create conversion points, it steals conversion points from each glyph that grants a bonus. Eventually the glyph will run out of conversion points. The advantage to this is simply that you can hang onto the glyph and still get some conversion out of it - with the tactic you were using, you could completely convert your glyph and have it too, but it stops there.

07-18-2014 at 05:51 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
Grah. The puzzle levels in this game are super hard (for me). Even the non-puzzle levels, I pretty much only know how to do them if I play a fighter. Do they have anything even half as awesome as the DROD Hints and Solutions forum?

[Last edited by silver at 07-20-2014 11:45 AM]
07-20-2014 at 11:45 AM
NightSight
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
It's not so much Hints and Solutions as it is just the solutions, but if you're really stuck they have step by step solutions on the wiki:

DD Wiki - Puzzle Packs
07-23-2014 at 04:27 AM
Dischorran
A glowup for this came out today. It's all 3D modeling now, and I don't think it's an improvement but also I'm old and cranky. The game itself is still great.

04-19-2023 at 05:48 AM
Doom
I want to like the new version. It has a couple of genuine improvements, like previewing how much scouting will heal you. The new UI is a real hard sell though. The old one was perfect, with all the important information in one place.

As another cranky old, I'm keeping my eye on a mod for the original that's working on backporting the new gameplay improvements (it also adds a ton of difficult endgame content, for those into that kind of thing).
05-08-2023 at 07:19 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Desktop Dungeons
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com