Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : "Well I'm back" . . .
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Elfstone
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1285
IP: Logged
icon "Well I'm back" . . . (+6)  
(and if anyone can give me exact details of that quote I will proffer a couple of mod points :yes )

I have been out of the site (and not playing DROD) for a shamefully long time and perhaps a brief word of explanation is in order. (I dipped my toe in last week but I had a visitor coming north for the Black Isle Show and knew that I wouldn't be able to be on line much this past week, hence the delay in posting this.)

I have had some health problems for the last 18 months and investigations seemed to take ages, culminating (I thought) in laparoscopic surgery in late May. Unfortunately when the surgeon got the camera inside me he discovered that the (benign) cyst could not be removed in keyhole surgery - it was much too big, and other problems also became apparent. The result is that I have to have major surgery in September. Of course I will have a fair bit of time on my hands while I recuperate; I will not be allowed to drive for 6 weeks post-op and I'm expected to be absent from work for a minimum of 8 weeks.

Anyway enough of the downside; the positive is that I am back to DROD - great exercise for the brain while my body is struggling a bit. I might even try my hand at building again while I am recovering from the surgery.

It is good to be back to the game, although I've found that I have forgotten a great deal and I seem to be slower at working out puzzles, and it is good to be back in the site. It is perhaps just a little disappointing to find it so quiet, but with long dark winter nights fast approaching :( I hope things may perk up a bit. It is lovely to see familiar names around and I have had a few most enjoyable conversations in Chat already.

And with thoughts of winter come thoughts of Christmas and, who knows, Something may happen . . . ;)

08-10-2010 at 09:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: "Well I'm back" . . . (+1)  
Welcome back! :D

[EDIT]

Tolkien?

[Last edited by Syntax at 08-11-2010 12:40 AM]
08-11-2010 at 12:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
Yeah, that's the last line of LotR.

Anyway, glad to have you back Elfstone. So many of the past greats have faded away its great to see a familiar face back here.

08-11-2010 at 02:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
icon Re: "Well I'm back" . . . (+2)  
Sorry to hear about the health problems, but it's good that things are being taken care of and you'll be on the mend soon. In the meantime, it's nice to have you about again.

["Well, I'm back" is what Samwise says to Rosie at the end of Return of the King after watching Bilbo, Frodo, Gandalf and the rest leave for the Undying Lands.]
08-11-2010 at 02:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bdwing
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 288
Isn't that one of the things Halph says when he enters a room?

"Until it ends, there is no end."
08-11-2010 at 02:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
IIRC, it's "I'm back."

Also, sorry about the health problems, Elfstone. On a related note, my father had to undergo colon surgery a couple of years ago due to a polyp.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

08-11-2010 at 05:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
icon Re: "Well I'm back" . . . (0)  
My very grateful thanks to all of you for repying and for your gentle words. This always was a remarkably kindly site and that certainly hasn't changed. :)

(Three of you are correct in that the quote is from Tolkein and I've given points out, but Noma gave the exact details, so she gets the 2 points)

08-11-2010 at 06:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
NoahT wrote:
On a related note, my father had to undergo colon surgery a couple of years ago due to a polyp.

-Noah

I hope he came through it well Noah and has made a complete recovery. :yes

08-11-2010 at 06:35 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Hi! :) Always makes me happy when people return. Good luck with the surgery!
08-13-2010 at 07:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
ELFSTONE!!! :)

My sympathy for the surgeries. On the plus side, you will now have a brutal reminder for every other cyst in the body to behave itself. :P
08-14-2010 at 12:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
My thanks to you all for your kind welcome back. It's good to be here again. Maybe we'll catch up in Chat some evening? :thumbsup

08-14-2010 at 05:27 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Was the cyst caused by rabbits?

08-14-2010 at 05:52 PM
Elfstone
Jatopian wrote:
Was the cyst caused by rabbits?

My dear I laughed out loud at that!! :D Ah, if only it were that simple.

The rabbit population seems to have stablilised, thanks, I think, to a growing number of cats visiting the garden and buzzards wheeling above. We've also seen red kites flying around and above the house this summer - a great treat I have to say; they are beautiful birds. :)

08-16-2010 at 07:29 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : "Well I'm back" . . .
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com