Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Developer question (More than 9 tilesets?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon Developer question (0)  
Quick question about the DROD code Erik:

How difficult/possible is it to add another tileset to the list of avalible ones? In this thread I've explained that what I wanted to do. Summed up, If I do it that way, I'm limited to 9 levels. How deep is the source code that lists the tilesets, and how hard would it be to add a couple more to it? I've notice that all tilesets have *.tim files, which I assume are the co-ordinates for each tile, but haven't found anything else yet. Any help would be appreciated, as I'm hoping to turn this hold into a "full mod".

07-01-2004 at 02:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Re: Developer question (0)  
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
How difficult/possible is it to add another tileset to the list of avalible ones?
It's kind of hard to explain why this isn't a good feature to add. Whatever we added to the 1.6 code to enable this feature wouldn't make it into the new release because the way styles (tilesets) are stored has changed a lot. Because to extend the list of styles in 1.6 would get thrown out when we release "DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold", I'm not wanting to spend time on it. In general, we don't add anything into the official 1.6 source code unless it is a bug fix. This by itself wouldn't preclude new code from going into a "mod" release based on 1.6, but again since that code wouldn't make it into JtRH, it's unlikely me, Mike, Schik, or Trick would spend the time to write it.

I think your best bet, unless you aim to get into programming, is to do what you can with replacing files now.
I've notice that all tilesets have *.tim files, which I assume are the co-ordinates for each tile, but haven't found anything else yet.
The .tim files specify how cells within the corresponding image map to different tile types. They can't be used to extend the game. You can only use them to rearrange the sequence of the cells, which I think isn't really that interesting to a modder like yourself.

-Erik

07-01-2004 at 09:35 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Developer question (More than 9 tilesets?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com