Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : New forum goodie!
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
IP: Logged

File: secret screenshot 2.jpg (94.5 KB)
Downloaded 316 times.
License: Other
icon New forum goodie! (+3)  
Don't you hate it when people ask for help or present a challenge for a level and you have to bring up DROD to see what it looks like?

Not any more!

When posting a message, just to the right of the Message window (right above the Smilies) there's a new link to insert a DROD Room! Click it and pick the Hold, Level, and Room, and behold! An image link magically appears in the message window.

<-- You found it!
This is a work in progress, but it's complete enough to be useful.

Existing problems:
- Serpents don't show up. Eeep.
- Only the east-facing monsters show up correctly - the rest of them are facing east :)
- No shadows or other visual goodies.

I think all of these problems are fixable, but I don't know when I'll have the time to fix them.

As usual, if you have any problems, let me know...

[Edited by Schik on 04-30-2003 at 04:15 AM]

[Last edited by Schik at 04-24-2006 04:32 AM]
04-29-2003 at 10:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: New forum goodie! (0)  
Okay, now serpents show up (except their heads), and objects are drawn on top of the floor instead of replacing the floor.

Coming soon - correct orientations and serpent heads.

Oh yeah, and tile sets are in there too.

[Edited by Schik on 04-30-2003 at 08:39 PM]

04-30-2003 at 08:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: New forum goodie! (+2)  
One more new feature: Ability to add markers to the room...

i.e.

Hey, I'm stuck on this level. I can get to (1) but don't know what to do after that. Help!!!!!

05-02-2003 at 08:14 PM
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1721
Wow...this's a great thing you've come up with.

05-02-2003 at 08:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Thanks! If anybody tries this, let me know if you run into any problems - I had to use some Javascript for the marker selection and I must say I'm not very good at it. I tried it on IE and Opera and it seems to work though.

05-02-2003 at 08:25 PM
levelthirteen
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109
Blue dooors show up as black tiles in XP Mozilla. The tar corner and pit rendering feels imcomplete; all pit tiles show up the same. In a dream world, a map select for the rooms would be better then the list select. Overall, very good.

05-02-2003 at 10:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: Re: New forum goodie! (0)  
levelthirteen wrote:
Blue dooors show up as black tiles in XP Mozilla.
The actual room rendering should never be a browser/OS issue. But yeah, I forgot blue doors.
The tar corner and pit rendering feels imcomplete;
Indeed. I'd like to add better tar/pits and even walls.
In a dream world, a map select for the rooms would be better then the list select.
Hmm, interesting. I'll think about that one - it could be very nice.

05-03-2003 at 12:49 AM
Schik
bdcribbs - I liked your idea of a "keep image secret" checkbox that will make the image linked instead of inline. It seems to have disappeared by now, but I think it's an excellent idea.

05-03-2003 at 01:33 PM
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
heh, it disappeared because I ended up deleting the post when I was in the middle of editing it ... I got distracted because I hosed my companies web server (apache-ssl does some weird things with semaphores!).

Anyway, thanks!

05-03-2003 at 10:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: Re: New forum goodie! (+1)  
levelthirteen wrote:
Blue dooors show up as black tiles in XP Mozilla.
Fixed.
In a dream world, a map select for the rooms would be better then the list select.
Ask, and ye shall receive.

05-04-2003 at 06:25 PM
zex20913
Very cool on the new room selection thing.

05-04-2003 at 08:12 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
zex20913 wrote:
Very cool on the new room selection thing.
Yeah, I agree.

I want to brag a little on Schik's behalf because I know he won't do it. The code he wrote is really clean and easy to extend--it's not just a hack job. So for example, when we have some other holds besides Dugan's Dungeon, including those that users come up with, we can add them to the site painlessly. The rooms are stored in a database table and transformed into web pages on the fly. It's all very clever, and I'm glad that Schik is finding this rewarding enough to apply his talents to it.

-Erik

05-04-2003 at 11:23 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
One nice thing about this is that I finally got to see where the secret room on level one is. Of course, I can't actually get in there in the game (is there even a way?) So now I'm curious as to what all the scrolls say...

05-05-2003 at 12:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
eytanz wrote:
One nice thing about this is that I finally got to see where the secret room on level one is. Of course, I can't actually get in there in the game (is there even a way?) So now I'm curious as to what all the scrolls say...
Click here to view the secret text

-Erik

05-05-2003 at 12:22 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
When is this "new release" scheduled to debut, Erik? I look forward to it.

05-05-2003 at 01:01 AM
ErikH2000
zex20913 wrote:
When is this "new release" scheduled to debut, Erik? I look forward to it.
I don't really want to get into the game of predicting a release date. We are a ragtag band of part-timers with fluxuating schedules and competing commitments. It'll just have to get done when it's done. ;)

-Erik

05-05-2003 at 01:49 AM
Malarame
Rank Points: 220
Very nice work on the forum, Schik. All the new goodies are fun!

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
05-05-2003 at 03:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: Re: Re: New forum goodie! (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
I want to brag a little on Schik's behalf
Enough, enough, you're making me blush. I think there are too many people around here who have contributed a ton to drod and the site to single anybody out.

But thanks. :D

05-05-2003 at 04:11 AM
zex20913
Aw...that's a cheap way of avoiding the question. ;)

05-05-2003 at 04:24 AM
eytanz
Shik - One request - could you add "back" buttons to the room selection? Especially in the map view, if you accidentally choose the wrong room, you need to start all over.

05-05-2003 at 02:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
eytanz wrote:
Shik - One request - could you add "back" buttons to the room selection? Especially in the map view, if you accidentally choose the wrong room, you need to start all over.
Done.

Also
- Rooms with stairs would not display - fixed.
- An empty link would display unless you placed markers! Oops! Fixed.
- You can now place images inline or place links to them.

05-05-2003 at 05:44 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Long live Schik!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-05-2003 at 10:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Schik wrote:
eytanz wrote:
Done.

Also
- Rooms with stairs would not display - fixed.
- An empty link would display unless you placed markers! Oops! Fixed.
- You can now place images inline or place links to them.

Yey!

05-06-2003 at 02:00 AM
Malarame
Rank Points: 220
Wow, you're good at this, Schik. Keep it up!

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
05-06-2003 at 02:52 AM
Schik
Tar looks a lot better now - It should correctly render any valid tar configuration, but as always, it's possible there are problems. Let me know if any rooms don't work.

The tile calculation ain't pretty, and looking at DROD's code, it ain't pretty there either. ;)

05-07-2003 at 05:13 PM
ErikH2000
Schik wrote:
The tile calculation ain't pretty, and looking at DROD's code, it ain't pretty there either. ;)
That's right. It is difficult to correctly choose the tile. You think you got it until one combination comes up that proves you wrong.

-Erik

05-07-2003 at 05:26 PM
Schik
ErikH2000 wrote:
It is difficult to correctly choose the tile. You think you got it until one combination comes up that proves you wrong.
Since there are relatively few possibilities (well, compared to "A Very Complex DROD Puzzle" ) I settled on a lookup table.

05-07-2003 at 05:29 PM
Schik
Schik wrote:
The tile calculation ain't pretty, and looking at DROD's code, it ain't pretty there either.
And Erik, I hope you took that as "The elegant solution I hoped for probably doesn't exist", not "The DROD code sucks".

05-07-2003 at 05:45 PM
ErikH2000
Schik wrote:
And Erik, I hope you took that as "The elegant solution I hoped for probably doesn't exist", not "The DROD code sucks".
No worries.

-Erik

05-07-2003 at 06:24 PM
Schik
Okay, one more biggish update here - this one is solely a speed update. Give it a try, let me know if it seems quicker or not.

Unfortunately, when you're using the "Insert DROD Room image" link, it will NOT be any faster - but when you're viewing rooms in posts, you should notice a big speed increase.

If you view a page with a room image and it doesn't seem faster, try hitting re-load. Seriously. Let me know if it's faster the second time.

05-08-2003 at 06:37 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : New forum goodie!
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com