Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Contest Hold : Contest Level : Entrance
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2379
IP: Logged
icon Contest Hold : Contest Level : Entrance (0)  
Just wondering if there's a strategy to this room or if it's pure trial-and-error. I've never been able to beat it.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
05-06-2010 at 04:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Contest Hold : Contest Level : Entrance (+1)  
disoriented wrote:
Just wondering if there's a strategy to this room or if it's pure trial-and-error. I've never been able to beat it.

Not much strategy, just skilled smiting. I believe that I had better luck in the left-hand room instead of the right-hand one.

Josh

05-06-2010 at 02:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: Contest Hold : Contest Level : Entrance (0)  
Ok, I must be missing something obvious... I'm not even close. My best attempt has me dieing with about 15 roaches left. I'm working on the left side. I think the best bet is to hit the orb facing East. In the hallway, I move up and down as much as possible rather than swinging my sword. I eventually get forced down just inside the room where I can QW for a while, but eventually get pushed farther west, and then up the west wall to the corner where I die. Hints and Demos requested.

Never mind... Ye olde poste and solve.

[Last edited by stigant at 05-25-2012 02:47 AM]
05-25-2012 at 02:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
icon Re: Contest Hold : Contest Level : Entrance (+1)  
stigant wrote:
Ok, I must be missing something obvious... I'm not even close. My best attempt has me dieing with about 15 roaches left. I'm working on the left side. I think the best bet is to hit the orb facing East. In the hallway, I move up and down as much as possible rather than swinging my sword. I eventually get forced down just inside the room where I can QW for a while, but eventually get pushed farther west, and then up the west wall to the corner where I die. Hints and Demos requested.

Never mind... Ye olde poste and solve.

There should be a forum rule that if you ask for help and then find out the trick, that you share it with others so they don't have to revive 8 year old threads :angry

Sigh. I guess I have to find it out on my own

[Last edited by kurwaa at 08-21-2020 11:44 AM]
08-21-2020 at 11:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
I have had a lot of problems with that and tried to resolve them where I noticed such a thread by posting some kind of clue.

Unfortunately there's not much I can add to stigant's description of their best efforts. My demo basically does what was said there but makes the right moves so it works out. So: magic move sequence, essentially.

Best I can do is provide a demo if you want one.
08-21-2020 at 03:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
Dragon Fogel wrote:
I have had a lot of problems with that and tried to resolve them where I noticed such a thread by posting some kind of clue.

Unfortunately there's not much I can add to stigant's description of their best efforts. My demo basically does what was said there but makes the right moves so it works out. So: magic move sequence, essentially.

Best I can do is provide a demo if you want one.

Now I feel conflicted. The devil side of me says "demo", but the angel side says "solve it out yourself".

But yeah, a demo is a good idea, but more for the reasons of posterity (so people can respect your arcane skills), rather than other purposes. Still, I'm amazed, astonished, and ablazed that you would have one after all these years:w00t

08-21-2020 at 10:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430

File: CH Contest Level The Entrance Victory.demo (27.4 KB)
Downloaded 35 times.
License: Public Domain
Here you go. And I haven't had to hold on to this for that long - I only joined six years ago, and I replayed a lot of holds starting in 2018. Judging by the date on this demo, this was one of the first ones among those.
08-21-2020 at 10:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Contest Hold : Contest Level : Entrance
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com