Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : The "New topic" thingy on Holds board... (Who needs it?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TheLaughingMan
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
IP: Logged
icon The "New topic" thingy on Holds board... (0)  
Well, as far as I understand the system here, the only way to get something to the Holds board is by "submitting" a hold from the Architecture board. Therefore, "New topic", and "New poll" buttons or what's-it-their-name are pretty useless there. So why ARE they there? Why not remove them?

05-01-2010 at 02:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: The "New topic" thingy on Holds board... (0)  
I believe one board was designed by our webmaster and copied to the rest of the boards, since most boards needed a "New Topic" and "New Poll". The H&S Board (and RPG H&S Board) have been altered so they just use a "Get Help For A Room" instead of less-productive topic creation buttons. However, I suspect while most members cannot use the "New Topic" and "New Poll" button, administrators can. That's probably how the admin user makes the hold posts, by using the "New Topic" and "New Poll" buttons. The Illuminations Thread is probably just the same. Therefore, they have a purpose, just not one many people immediately realize. Of course, I could be wrong.

By the way, welcome to the forums Laughing Man! :)

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
05-01-2010 at 06:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TheLaughingMan
That's probably how the admin user makes the hold posts, by using the "New Topic" and "New Poll" buttons.
That user does not require any buttons, it's an automated script, a bot, a program, a machine, whatever.

05-01-2010 at 06:37 PM
12th Archivist
TheLaughingMan wrote:
That user does not require any buttons, it's an automated script, a bot, a program, a machine, whatever.
Are you certain?

Perhaps a few official words should be said. That should clear things up.

05-01-2010 at 08:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TheLaughingMan
12th Archivist wrote:
TheLaughingMan wrote:
Are you certain?

Perhaps a few official words should be said. That should clear things up.
Well, those are my thoughts. I really suppose that it is so, because any time a hold is approoved, this thing posts something. No one would manually do all that every time.

05-01-2010 at 08:10 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3260
Yeah, the admin is a bot. When a hold gets promoted it appears instantly on the board, there's nobody logging on the account and thinking "oh a hold ready for promotion, time to make a new topic".

Even if "admin" needed to click a button, you could just hide it from every other user. In the end you wouldn't even need a button because you could just send the command directly.
05-01-2010 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
TheLaughingMan wrote:
Well, those are my thoughts. I really suppose that it is so, because any time a hold is approoved, this thing posts something. No one would manually do all that every time.
Why not? With the minimal number of holds being processed these days, there would likely be no stress in simply logging on as admin once in a while to post the approved holds. Plus, I believe more than one person can log in as admin, so even if one typical administrator goes absent, another can log in and post the holds. EDIT: Thanks to Doom's info.

Of course, yet again, that is assuming I'm right. Perhaps the "New Topic" and "New Poll" can be invisible (and un-clickable) to forum member who do not have permission and have the buttons be visible and clickable to those who do.

05-01-2010 at 08:18 PM
TheLaughingMan
Doom wrote:
Yeah, the admin is a bot. When a hold gets promoted it appears instantly on the board, there's nobody logging on the account and thinking "oh a hold ready for promotion, time to make a new topic".

Even if "admin" needed to click a button, you could just hide it from every other user. In the end you wouldn't even need a button because you could just send the command directly.
You're reading my thoughts :D

05-01-2010 at 08:18 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I doubt Doom has to guess or read thoughts to know what he's talking about.

05-01-2010 at 08:19 PM
TheLaughingMan
Jatopian wrote:
I doubt Doom has to guess or read thoughts to know what he's talking about.
Well, I was about to go here and engage a massive explanation about something in that style just now :D And there he is, posted it right under my nose.

05-01-2010 at 08:21 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3260
12th Archivist wrote:
Why not? With the minimal number of holds being processed these days, there would likely be no stress in simply logging on as admin once in a while to post the approved holds. Plus, I believe more than one person can log in as admin, so even if one typical administrator goes absent, another can log in and post the holds.
I should add, this isn't that far from the truth. It's just one of the HAs who's pushing the big red button when the hold has been confirmed appropriate, not the "admin" account.
05-01-2010 at 08:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Doom wrote:
12th Archivist wrote:
Why not? With the minimal number of holds being processed these days, there would likely be no stress in simply logging on as admin once in a while to post the approved holds. Plus, I believe more than one person can log in as admin, so even if one typical administrator goes absent, another can log in and post the holds.
I should add, this isn't that far from the truth. It's just one of the HAs who's pushing the big red button when the hold has been confirmed appropriate, not the "admin" account.
Hmm... interesting. So the admin account just posts the hold when it goes into the "accepted pile"? Neat!

05-01-2010 at 08:46 PM
TheLaughingMan
12th Archivist wrote:
Doom wrote:
12th Archivist wrote:
Hmm... interesting. So the admin account just posts the hold when it goes into the "accepted pile"? Neat!
Yeah, that's kinda how it should work... So, now then... About those buttons... Who needs em?

05-02-2010 at 06:06 AM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
The same goes for the illumination buttons. If they can be hidden easily they should be. Because they're slightly confusing :P
Edit: The New Topic and New Poll buttons should also be removed when you are reading a topic, only leaving the Post Reply. But pretty sure this has been addressed before, and that there was a reason for why nothing was changed...

By the way, am I the only one who thinks it is time we remove the bureaucracy? (Or at least automatically hides it for new users and guests). I remember robobob talking about it giving a false impression of a lot going on in the forum and I agree. It's just taking up a lot of space and being a confusing board where nothing happens anymore.

[Last edited by Rheb at 05-02-2010 11:34 AM]
05-02-2010 at 11:18 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2460
Don't ask me; I've never been in favor of the bureaucracy.

As for the "new post" button in Holds and in The Illumination: it doesn't seem to me that it's hurting anything, really. In fact, instead of removing it, I think it'd be great if clicking them gave a more customized error message--e.g., clicking it in Holds would give a message explaining the HA procedures.
05-03-2010 at 07:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
icon Re: The "New topic" thingy on Holds board... (+2)  
On a related note, perhaps it would be helpful if the RPG Holds board displayed a similar announcement to the one on the (regular) DROD Holds board.
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Lamkin at 05-03-2010 10:23 AM]
05-03-2010 at 10:16 AM
12th Archivist
Of course, as long as the links led to RPG Architecture and the like, instead of classic DROD stuff.

Just my thoughts.

05-03-2010 at 02:15 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : The "New topic" thingy on Holds board... (Who needs it?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com