Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Reflectorations: Our April Contest (In which a new Architecture contest is described)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
IP: Logged
icon Re: Reflectorations: Our April Contest (+1)  
I would just like to note that I have already received my first contest submission. This makes me inordinately happy -- I'm really hoping that this contest will help rekindle some activity on the Forum.

(Yes, there are still two weeks before the submission deadline, but it's that kind of can-do, preemptive attitude that makes <name redacted> the sort of architect I like to see hanging out here.)

Josh

04-02-2010 at 07:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
icon Re: Reflectorations: Our April Contest (0)  
The <name redacted> bit might work slightly better if the submission thread weren't public. Just sayin'. :P

04-02-2010 at 08:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Dischorran wrote:
The <name redacted> bit might work slightly better if the submission thread weren't public. Just sayin'. :P

Hmmm...what do you mean? I thought that a submission thread only allowed you to see the top post. Did I mess something up?

[EDIT: Ummm...what I meant to say was...you are mistaken, citizen. We have always been at war with, uh, that thread has always been a submission thread.]

Josh

[Last edited by jbluestein at 04-02-2010 09:01 PM]
04-02-2010 at 08:35 PM
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
Yes, but the "Distorted Images" level uses different elements. However, yes, I got the idea. Thanks

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
04-03-2010 at 06:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
I also missed the part about just the puzzle being rotated or flipped rather than the whole room. Does this mean we can not just use the f7 and f8 or their combo to reflect the room. I have only been using those, would I be disqualified?

04-03-2010 at 08:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
techant wrote:
I also missed the part about just the puzzle being rotated or flipped rather than the whole room. Does this mean we can not just use the f7 and f8 or their combo to reflect the room. I have only been using those, would I be disqualified?

No, you can totally use F7/F8 to flip your room. The 'puzzle only' is all that you're required to flip if, for example, you want to construct a room that's reflected diagonally -- as noted, it's actually hard to rotate or diagonally reflect a 31x37 room, as that would result in a 37x31 room, and that doesn't fit onto the screen.

So what it really is is a relaxing of the requirement that says that the rooms must be identical. Really, the functional part of the room must be identical. If you have a bunch of filled-in wall space, that doesn't have to be symmetrical as long as it doesn't affect the play of the room.

Josh

04-03-2010 at 11:35 AM
Casebier
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 283
What if you had a level and a custom NPC, and you TOLD the player that the special monster would always move North first, then West, then South, then East? When you flip the room, everything will be mirrored, but the NPC will still follow his order of directions first.

04-04-2010 at 01:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Casebier
Chaco wrote:
You mean in a similar fashion to Deep Hold : Level Fifteen - The Kitchen : Entrance and Deep Hold : Level Fifteen - The Kitchen : 1 East?
I was thinking more in line with a level where there was no real ground but lots of seperate platforms. And maybe you have to guide a certain platform to get to the finish, like that one level in TCB along the River. Of course, with different platforms in each, you could use flying creatures to provide the enemy threat if needed...

04-04-2010 at 01:24 AM
jbluestein
Casebier wrote:
What if you had a level and a custom NPC, and you TOLD the player that the special monster would always move North first, then West, then South, then East? When you flip the room, everything will be mirrored, but the NPC will still follow his order of directions first.

I suppose that would be legal, but...wow. Sounds kind of byzantine to me. Ultimately, you will be judged on the quality of your puzzles and presumably the deftness with which you manage the reflectoration. So if you think that's the way to go, it certainly seems to be within the rules. Pull it off well, and people will be singing your praises.

Josh

04-04-2010 at 02:02 AM
jbluestein
Reminder: You have five days left to submit your entries for this contest.

I have two submissions already...I wonder how many more we'll see?

Josh

04-12-2010 at 12:04 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
I want to submit something; I really do. But...architecture is hard. (Can't we go shopping?)
04-12-2010 at 04:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Casebier
Heh, I was working on one, but then I reinstalled my entire system, upgrading my motherboard, processor, memory, power supply, case, operating system. THEN I had to reinstall the previous version from a backup because a file backup didn't save my save files. THEN I had to reinstall back to the new version again.

04-13-2010 at 03:27 AM
jbluestein
icon Re: Reflectorations: Our April Contest (+2)  
Hey guys --

I totally sympathize with the problem -- architecture is difficult, and a restrictive design with extra requirements is even harder. But remember, all you need to produce is two rooms. Two! (Yes, you may produce more, but two is the minimum. And you only actually have to design one!)

I hope more people will come forward with entries. I think that a contest with strong participation will really help get the Forum feeling more lively again.

Remember the words of the ancient teacher:

Do, or do not. There is no try.

Four days until the contest closes!

Josh

P.S. And if this contest goes well, I vow to run another one as soon as I get permission to. (I will have to come up with another idea...but hey, ideas are easy. Implementation is hard.)

04-13-2010 at 02:07 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
I must say, I'm disappointed that an official competition in which entrants only really have to make 1 room to enter has so far only had two entries.

Come on people, we can do better than that.
At this point you're guaranteed rank points even if you come last.

I also want to point out that a poll on this forum about whether nectarines were good or not got more votes than the last competition, which in my opinion had a great idea and great entries. Very sad.

04-13-2010 at 10:13 PM
Penwielder
Rank Points: 628
I still fully intend to be in this. Some of my ideas didn't work out even to the point where they weren't worth presenting, but I now have two fairly good pairs done. Worst case scenario, I'll just submit it as it is, but I hope I can come up with at least a third and improve the whole thing some.

By the way, that other poll (under 'Anything') did not require thought. Half the voters probably didn't even realize what they were really voting on.

04-13-2010 at 10:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Jacob wrote:
I must say, I'm disappointed that an official competition in which entrants only really have to make 1 room to enter has so far only had two entries.
Well, but seriously, the thing is this. I have trouble making a single room with an interesting solution under any conditions, really. (I've entered architecture contests before--like "Beauty Over Brains", which was all about not making rooms with monsters.) In this case, not only do you have to come up with a room that has an interesting solution, it has to have an interesting solution that relies somehow on east-vs.-west or north-vs.-south movement, and that means having a really good understanding of when and how it matters, and...

So, yes, one room to enter, and yes, I feel like that's beyond my personal capabilities. Of course, that doesn't excuse anyone who has an actual published hold, which is a whole lot of people.
04-14-2010 at 06:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Tahnan wrote:
Well, but seriously, the thing is this. I have trouble making a single room with an interesting solution under any conditions, really. (I've entered architecture contests before--like "Beauty Over Brains", which was all about not making rooms with monsters.) In this case, not only do you have to come up with a room that has an interesting solution, it has to have an interesting solution that relies somehow on east-vs.-west or north-vs.-south movement, and that means having a really good understanding of when and how it matters, and...

So, yes, one room to enter, and yes, I feel like that's beyond my personal capabilities. Of course, that doesn't excuse anyone who has an actual published hold, which is a whole lot of people.
Quoted for truth!

I'd like to see more puzzle contests myself. I enjoyed those.
04-14-2010 at 08:02 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
I have updated the posts at the top of this topic and the corresponding submission topic to indicate exactly how much time remains before the contest closes for submissions.

Only negative 730 weeks, 6 days left!

Josh

[Last edited by jbluestein at 04-16-2010 03:04 PM]
04-15-2010 at 07:12 PM
Casebier
Well, if I can get the program installed properly again and import all my information, I'll try to finish the puzzle I was working on. I'll warn you, it's based on my original interpretation of what a reflection could be considered...

Edit: Well, installed TCB just fine and restored my backed up holds and stuff, but the submission hold that I was working on seemed to have been done AFTER I performed the backup.

[Last edited by Casebier at 04-16-2010 05:35 AM]
04-16-2010 at 01:10 AM
Tahnan
Tahnan wrote:
So, yes, one room to enter, and yes, I feel like that's beyond my personal capabilities. Entry submitted.
Sorry, fixed. Minor typo there.
04-16-2010 at 07:07 AM
jbluestein
I updated my timestamps in various places so that they now indicate the proper countdown. For some reason untiltime isn't operating in any timezone that I recognize.

In any case, with just under fourteen hours left to go, I am pleased to note that I have received six submissions, which is more like the number that I was hoping for...and of course, there are still fourteen hours to go.

I am really looking forward to trying all of these entries out!

Josh

04-16-2010 at 03:07 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
jbluestein wrote:
I updated my timestamps in various places so that they now indicate the proper countdown. For some reason untiltime isn't operating in any timezone that I recognize.
Well, it *should* be UTC. Note that UTC is an hour off of usual for areas that observe DST right now. If that doesn't explain any problems you had with it, let me know.

04-16-2010 at 03:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
jbluestein
Schik wrote:
jbluestein wrote:
Well, it *should* be UTC. Note that UTC is an hour off of usual for areas that observe DST right now. If that doesn't explain any problems you had with it, let me know.

That probably does explain it. I had to set my untiltime to be 3:59 AM on 4/17 in order to make it look like midnight EST, which was what I wanted. For some reason I was assuming that it would be either EST or PST, but that's clearly not the case.

Thanks!
Josh

04-16-2010 at 04:52 PM
Penwielder
Rank Points: 628
I'm in.

Interestingly, despite hiding from us the number of posts in it, the submission topic can still be bumped like any other. I guess I don't know what else it would do, but that still surprises me slightly, and it may also have inspired this post (to see when it is next bumped).

...and I'm glad to see you noticed that typo, Tahnan.

04-16-2010 at 11:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Casebier
Sheesh, nothing but bad luck here... I had finished my entry, and had some extra rooms to show an alternate version of the rooms, but it wasn't any different, just more tedious. I meant to just delete those two rooms, and I accidently deleted the entire level in that hold. :~(

04-17-2010 at 12:09 AM
jbluestein
Thanks for all of your submissions, folks! I have eight excellent-looking entries, and am in the process of constructing a poll.

Josh

04-17-2010 at 09:53 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Reflectorations: Our April Contest (In which a new Architecture contest is described)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com