Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : transparency display problems in Linux DROD RPG
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
schep
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 864
IP: Logged

File: drodscreen0.jpg (130.4 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
License: Public Domain
icon transparency display problems in Linux DROD RPG (0)  
It looks like drodrpg-tt for Linux is doing something wrong with tile transparency. See attached screenshot.

According to ldd, it's using all the libraries from /usr/local/games/drodrpg-tt/Libs/. I also tried temporarily redirecting that to my drod-tcb/Libs/ directory, but that made no difference.
01-31-2010 at 12:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
schep
icon Re: transparency display problems in Linux DROD RPG (+1)  
I fetched the DROD-RPG source and did a little debugging. It looks like on line DrodBitmapManager.cpp:632
  SDL_BlitSurface(pSrcSurface, &src, pDestSurface, &dest);

this seemingly innocent SDL function is converting pixels from { 255, 0, 255, 255 } [RGBA: pure opaque magenta] to { 254, 0, 254, 254 } [almost opaque almost magenta].

But this code is exactly the same in all versions of DROD. So as strange as that is, I'm still not sure why this happens only in Linux, and only for DROD RPG. (And maybe only to users whose CaravelNet ID is "schep".) Maybe there's something particular about the GeneralTiles.png stored within my drodrpg1_0.dat file. Next I'll try extracting that file and see if fiddling with it helps any.
02-13-2010 at 06:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
schep
icon Re: transparency display problems in Linux DROD RPG (+2)  
Bingo! I extracted GeneralTiles.png from my dat file, opened it in Gimp, did Layer -> Transparency -> Remove Alpha Channel, and saved the result in /usr/local/games/drodrpg-tt/Data/Bitmaps/. Problem gone.

So I don't know whether this is a quirk with Linux SDL or something about the version of drodrpg1_0.dat which is currently being provided with my Linux Full version download. But since this seems to be the easiest fix, can the folks who put together downloadable thingies arrange for future versions of drodrpg1_0.dat to contain a GeneralTiles PNG with no alpha channel?

02-13-2010 at 08:05 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: transparency display problems in Linux DROD RPG (0)  
schep wrote:
Bingo! I extracted GeneralTiles.png from my dat file, opened it in Gimp, did Layer -> Transparency -> Remove Alpha Channel, and saved the result in /usr/local/games/drodrpg-tt/Data/Bitmaps/. Problem gone.

So I don't know whether this is a quirk with Linux SDL or something about the version of drodrpg1_0.dat which is currently being provided with my Linux Full version download. But since this seems to be the easiest fix, can the folks who put together downloadable thingies arrange for future versions of drodrpg1_0.dat to contain a GeneralTiles PNG with no alpha channel?
Thanks for researching and identifying a fix, schep! I've removed the alpha layer from GeneralTiles.png and committed it. This fix will be in the next full build of DROD RPG.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-27-2010 at 03:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : transparency display problems in Linux DROD RPG
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com