Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : General script brokenness ((ie. wtf is happening to my drod rpg D:))
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
IP: Logged
icon General script brokenness (0)  
Note: I am currently using Windows 7 against my will. You couldn't make a more obfuscated file system if you tried. D:

For some reason, with my raygun, the missiles, and Sidio's dot firing thing, there's a one-turn delay between hitting the 'action' key and the weapon firing. Also, with the raygun, the beam moves like a missile sometimes, a trebly faster missile at times, and (seemingly) never like an actual laser.

The thing is, yesterday, none of this happened. Everything worked fine, and messing around with things like that didn't break the system. I sincerely hope this is just Windows incompetence, because otherwise I have a problem, because I haven't a clue what is going on.

Edit: Actually, it seems to be a one-turn delay with everything involving generating things. That ain't good.
Also, should building bombs turn pits into floor?
Ediit: Just found the err files, and nothing.
Ediiit: The one-turn delay is random, too. Now it's not appearing for the missiles, but the lasers are still missile-slow.

[Last edited by Monkey at 01-08-2010 08:44 PM]
01-08-2010 at 08:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: General script brokenness (0)  
I don't think Windows 7 would cause any change in scripting logic like that. It would only cause driver-based issues, or something file permissions-based like imports don't work right, etc.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-11-2010 at 07:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Monkey
Well, Windows is kind of my whipping boy, but I use Linux, whaddya expect? :P
If it means anything (which it probably does), this happened a few days after I applied the latest patch. There haven't been any modifications to monster generation, right?

Also, multiple 'Generate Entity' commands don't have delays between them. Maybe summoned things have a one-turn delay before doing anything now? That would explain the lag before pulling the trigger on the <gun here> and a <projectile here> coming out, because NPCs are summoned invisible.

01-11-2010 at 09:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
Which builds did you upgrade to/from? Could you provide some code snippets to look at?

01-11-2010 at 10:12 PM
Monkey

File: summonDelay.drh (1 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
License: Public Domain
I forgot what I upgraded from, so I'm going to say 'the latest stable release' because, well, look at the time gap between this bug report and the last one. It worked then, so (as I said a few times already) why not now?
All the code snippets you need are in the links up top. It's not a scripting issue, because it would've been caught by the people who actually play my scripting monsters (hopefully). Or, ya know, by me, when I was working on them on a build that worked.

Also, could you play this, and tell me what it does? For me, it expands in a 8-pointed star-shaped pattern at a rate of eight roaches per turn. There are no 'Wait' statements, so there shouldn't be any delays.

[Last edited by Monkey at 01-11-2010 10:41 PM : s/one roach/eight roaches/]
01-11-2010 at 10:39 PM
TFMurphy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: General script brokenness (+2)  
I'll confirm that since the latest patch, "Generate Entity" now seems to delay a turn before happening. If I assume this to be deliberate and not a bug, then whilst I can understand that this may have been added to cut down on infinite loops, it's by far a less useful change, especially how powerful Generate Entity can be when used correctly. For example, in Tower of the Sorcerer, I used Generate Entity at times as miniture subroutines to run scripts at specific spots in rooms, particularly within the No Diagonals Script interacting with Magicians and Magic Sergeants.

I don't *think* the change as is breaks any published holds: I thought it might affect the Pocket Roach in Tendry's Tale, but since Pocket Roach appears under you, an extra turn delay doesn't affect it. But still, unless there's a pressing reason to have a turn delay, I think I'd rather Generated Entities were created immediately as they were before Build 55.

EDIT: I can't duplicate the bug in the latest SVN build, so I don't know what was changed or what was compiled to cause it. Guess we'll just have to keep an eye out for it.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 12-29-2010 02:38 AM]
10-29-2010 at 02:48 AM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: General script brokenness (+2)  
Yes, this is not reproductible in Build 57, so I am closing it as fixed.

05-20-2012 at 02:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : General script brokenness ((ie. wtf is happening to my drod rpg D:))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com