Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Now THAT'S just scary.... This topic has been locked
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll
Poster Message
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
IP: Logged
icon Now THAT'S just scary.... (0)  
Today, I learned that a good friend of mine went missing yesterday at 3:25 P.M. You can check it out here on 9News.

The whole event was and still is quite frightening. What's even stranger is that some people are suspecting me as the person who made him run away. Perhaps that's just because anybody who has recently talked to him might have gained information about his plan. The police are telling those suspected they won't get in trouble if they comply to questioning.

This post is under the assumption he ran away and did not fall victim to a nefarious third party.

Extremely unlikely, given the closest (assumed) member that routinely posts on the forums lives in Utah (mrimer), but if anybody knows anything that might help, do not hesitate to post here about it. Information is vital.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
10-20-2009 at 11:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Now THAT'S just scary.... (0)  
Orrrr this could be a "social experiment" to see how much we'll care, considering that it's you.

10-21-2009 at 12:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
icon Re: Now THAT'S just scary.... (+1)  
I'd start checking boxes in his attic. ;)

(for those of you not in the states...)

10-21-2009 at 01:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
So I'm trying to pull together a joke about how if this message board was actually a match of Family Feud, and the category was "Most popular replies to this topic", Jatopian and Kwakstur's responses would both be on the board.

It turns out that Family Feud is not as strong a framework for humor as one would think.

10-21-2009 at 01:21 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
man remember that time we used to constantly accuse me of using this place to run social psychological experiments

i miss those times

brb posting on elfstone
10-21-2009 at 03:06 AM
12th Archivist
Jatopian wrote:
Orrrr this could be a "social experiment" to see how much we'll care, considering that it's you.
Is that just a blatent attempt to start another arguement or do you actually have proof that I lie? The former is stupid simply because you're anti-contributing or whatever. The latter is stupid because I could give you proof I know him personally. Either way, you're looking at a whole bunch of bull.

But this thread isn't really about me, it's about the victim here (with a broader definition of "victim"). If you will put faith into the fact this is just another "social experiment", then at least hope the police find him.

10-21-2009 at 03:24 AM
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
Banjooie wrote:
i miss those times

brb posting on elfstone

brb convincing snacko to tell you to post on elfstone... oh wait he already did so...

When did I become a time traveler?

edit: Oh wait, I should probably get around to maintaining this apparent temporal loop so as not to cause a paradox. srsly brb nao

[Last edited by Sillyman at 10-21-2009 03:36 AM]
10-21-2009 at 03:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
12th Archivist wrote:
do you actually have proof that I lie?
You are, perhaps, familiar with the tale of the boy who cried wolf? If not, it's long past time to read and understand it.

10-21-2009 at 04:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
this just in: man who paraded about how deceitful he was and how easily he fooled us is shocked and flabbergasted when people later suspect him of deceit

9_6
10-21-2009 at 04:54 AM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
I realize you've demonstrated the ability to fool us, but I've always had the impression you were in your thirties or forties. To hear you describe a twelve year old child as a "good friend" is a bit of a disconnect, which could be another reason there's some doubt floating about. Who knows? Maybe you actually are twelve years old. *shrug* Regardless, I do hope this story ends well. Last year a very similar incident a bit north of my city most definitely did not.
10-21-2009 at 06:08 AM
Dischorran
noma wrote:
I realize you've demonstrated the ability to fool us, but I've always had the impression you were in your thirties or forties. To hear you describe a twelve year old child as a "good friend" is a bit of a disconnect, which could be another reason there's some doubt floating about. Who knows? Maybe you actually are twelve years old. *shrug* Regardless, I do hope this story ends well. Last year a very similar incident a bit north of my city most definitely did not.
Back when he was honest.

10-21-2009 at 06:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
noma
Rank Points: 1594
Which--if he /was/ being honest there--makes him about 12 or 13. Hmm. That would explain a lot.
10-21-2009 at 07:59 AM
12th Archivist
Oh jeez! I thought I wasn't going to be "branded" this way! Now seriously think, why would I lie? What good reason could I possibly have to lie about being friends with someone who ran away from home?

There are possibilities you haven't considered. I'm not lying about anything relevant to this situation.

The good news is he was found just before four this morning. There's much secrecy surrounding this event. I hope to be able to ask him about it today.

10-21-2009 at 02:35 PM
ldshank
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
These students are at our school. The missing student was found early this morning. The message was meant to help in the search.
Thank you to all who took it in the spirit it was meant.

I teach a game design class here as an elective based on DROD, which is why the message was posted in the forum.
10-21-2009 at 02:58 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
Banjooie wrote:
this just in: man who paraded about how deceitful he was and how easily he fooled us is shocked and flabbergasted when people later suspect him of deceit
He's not the only one who's shocked, you know. Sure, when someone pulls a stunt like 12th did, it's inevitable it's going to be a running joke for quite some time, but it's pretty sad that otherwise decent and intelligent people can't put that aside for something as serious as this.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 10-21-2009 04:52 PM]
10-21-2009 at 04:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
Jatopian
Yeah no Nuntar, I'd care if I actually thought this was real. But 12th wants to know why he'd lie? Last I checked, we never got a clear motive for his previous "experiments", so from here it looks rather like he doesn't need a reason.
ldshank wrote:
These students are at our school. The missing student was found early this morning. The message was meant to help in the search.
Thank you to all who took it in the spirit it was meant.

I teach a game design class here as an elective based on DROD, which is why the message was posted in the forum.
12th I thought you weren't going to make multis anymore. Interesting. Why didn't you post this message yourself?

[Last edited by Jatopian at 10-21-2009 05:25 PM]
10-21-2009 at 05:16 PM
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
Actually, I completely agree with Nuntar, although in addition to 12th Archivist's, um, recent history, the topic's seemingly flippant title and his saying that he was suspected of having some involvement were each a potential red flag, so I was admittedly more than a little skeptical.
10-21-2009 at 06:10 PM
Dischorran
icon Re: Now THAT'S just scary.... (-1)  
Wait, so if I go find a headline about something serious and claim to be involved you all have to believe me if it's serious enough? Because I'm organizing a search for my best friend [insert latest missing blond girl here], and could really use donations to cover equipment and supplies.

[Last edited by Dischorran at 10-21-2009 11:37 PM : grammar is not my friend today]
10-21-2009 at 07:06 PM
Lamkin
Well, that would depend on the headline in question, now wouldn't it? And no, of course I wouldn't have to believe you, but I would, at the very least, feel obliged to respond to you tactfully—unless I were convinced at the outset that you were merely pulling my leg or that what you were stating was an outright lie.

10-21-2009 at 09:08 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I have to say I'm more appalled by Nuntar's reaction than by any of the other drama in this thread. As all decent and intelligent people here surely understand, the chance that there is someone here who is not only from Denver Colorado but is still active on the forums and also never heard of the missing person in that very same city is negligible.

Therefore it is neither "shocking" nor "sad" that people called this thread out as the joke it is, and running to assume battle stations, seize moral high ground and mow everyone down with arguments from emotion was totally uncalled for.

As a personal postscriptum, I think human beings on the average are worthless sacks of meat who don't deserve a moment of my time even if they get lost and then killed and eaten by rabid skunks, but that's my personal opinion which doesn't have any bearing on the argument at hand.

10-21-2009 at 09:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts
Lamkin
Maurog wrote:
As all decent and intelligent people here surely understand, the chance that there is someone here who is not only from Denver Colorado but is still active on the forums and also never heard of the missing person in that very same city is negligible.
Yes, it was rather pointless to assume that anyone on the forums might be able to provide any information, but that's beside the point; how, exactly, does that lead one to conclude that 12th Archivist is a liar?
And what difference does it make whether or not I've heard of the kid? So I look at a picture on the back of a milk carton (hypothetically—I'm lactose intolerant) and I dismiss it out of hand simply because I've never heard of the person?
And no, I'm not from Denver (I'm from Colorado Springs, actually), but people who disappear in one state do have a tendency to show up oftentimes in another one.
Maurog wrote:
Therefore, it is neither "shocking" nor "sad" that people called this thread out as the joke it is, and running to assume battle stations, seize moral high ground and mow everyone down with arguments from emotion was totally uncalled for.
Might it instead have been uncalled for for people to imply that he was a liar?

Okay, to be honest, I'm not really "shocked" or "saddened" by a few people's reactions, but I am just a wee (I love that word) bit surprised.

[Last edited by Lamkin at 10-21-2009 11:02 PM]
10-21-2009 at 10:47 PM
12th Archivist
If most of you think this was a joke, you're wrong at took it a little too far. I thought we had gotten over my previous events. The thread itself degenerated into mild anarchy which had nothing to do with the original post. Shouldn't that mean it no longer really mattered?

Apparently not. You might hold me against that for years to come. Maybe this is taking it too far, but I don't want to be with people that always assume I'm lying when anything of remote importance to people outside the forum come up. Come on, can anyone live like that?

I didn't start off with you guys right. I won't end with you guys right. This day might be celebrated almost like Chistmas/Kwanza/Hanaukka/Other for some of you; the day I finally take my sorry seed of annoyance from this forum of good. However, I'm not important enough to do that, so this event will probably not be remembered.

Fairwell. This might not be last post here, but you never know.

EDIT: Some of you may assume that I'm just running away because "My secret is found!!1!!1eleven!", but the more obvious reason is because you pissed me off enough to leave. Guess what, that's the truth! Don't believe me? Good for you! It shows you don't have to have a certificate from college to ignore Occam's Razor.

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 10-21-2009 11:05 PM]
10-21-2009 at 10:47 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Uh, Lamkin, my point was of course that even if someone is from Denver Colorado and active on the forums, the thread was redundant for them if they already heard about the missing person from other sources, like maybe the local news.

10-21-2009 at 11:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts
Dischorran
Lamkin wrote:
Well, that would depend on the headline in question, now wouldn't it? And no, of course I wouldn't have to believe you, but I would, at the very least, feel obliged to respond to you tactfully—unless I were convinced at the outset that you were merely pulling my leg or that what you were stating was an outright lie.
Well, sure. But if it turned out later that it were an outright lie, would you feel obliged to respond tactfully the next time? What about the time after that?

10-21-2009 at 11:53 PM
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
Dude, take a chill pill...

You just made a "joke" that most people here regard as bad taste and some of these people also felt offended by the rather deceitful nature of said joke. It's kinda fresh in people's minds right now, which is why they're rather hostile (maybe even overly so). Still, even though they may react like this now, most of them have acknowledged in the past discussion that they agree you have made some contributions to the forum; they don't have anything against you. It's just because of this recent thing that some people are hostile now but seriously, wait for a short while, become (again) a positive part of this community, and everyone will get over it. No need to be so dramatic and announce (for the second time) that you're packing your toys and leaving.
So really, just go back to being the old you (well, without the multis) and we'll soon all be excellent to each other again :).
10-21-2009 at 11:55 PM
Lamkin
Maurog wrote:
Uh, Lamkin, my point was of course that even if someone is from Denver Colorado and active on the forums, the thread was redundant for them if they already heard about the missing person from other sources, like maybe the local news.
Ah, that wasn't at all clear to me; even though you'd used the word "never," the sentence had seemed kinda confusing. But now that I understand you correctly, it's still a pretty weak point. Sorry. I mean, yeah, if someone's heard about it and knows some pertinent, previously unknown information about the child's disappearance, then it's logical to assume that this person would have already contacted the police. But so what? What's the harm in it being "redundant"? What's wrong with 12th still asking about it on the forum? I don't really see the problem.

[Last edited by Lamkin at 10-22-2009 12:13 AM]
10-21-2009 at 11:56 PM
Lamkin
Dischorran wrote:
Well, sure. But if it turned out later that it were an outright lie, would you feel obliged to respond tactfully the next time? What about the time after that?
Er...no...if it turned out later that it was an outright lie. In my book, at least, he's lied to me only once, so shame on him, as it were. I dunno, but I guess all this talk about forgiving 12th Archivist for being deceitful was premature. Or, maybe it's that you've never forgiven him in the first place, which is certainly understandable.

[Last edited by Lamkin at 10-22-2009 12:19 AM]
10-21-2009 at 11:59 PM
Dischorran
Lamkin wrote:
Er...no...if it turned out later that it was an outright lie. In my book, at least, he's lied to me only once, so shame on him, as it were. I dunno, but I guess all this talk about forgiving 12th Archivist for being deceitful was premature. Or, maybe it's that you've never forgiven him in the first place, which is certainly understandable.
I think that forgiving and forgetting are not quite the same thing. I don't much care what he did before, although it amuses me to keep reminding him of it, but he's pretty clearly in need of a few more years of maturity for a fully developed conscience to develop, and in the meantime I see no reason to take his posts at their word. The "liar" tag is hard to shake, as it should be, and perhaps the Slicester now has the opportunity to learn that before he's in a situation where he'll get something besides cheerful mockery out of it. You, on the other hand, can have a serious response. :)

10-22-2009 at 12:58 AM
12th Archivist
Dex Stewart wrote:
Dude, take a chill pill...

You just made a "joke" that most people here regard as bad taste and some of these people also felt offended by the rather deceitful nature of said joke.
Actually, I wasn't lying, but considering what I have done before, who's going to believe that? In that case, sure, I made a "joke", if that will stop this. The truth hasn't set anything free. Instead, it has only caused a lot of misery. What kind of a joke is that?

Too much. It's still fresh in people's minds, but hasn't some of the effect worn off by now? I remain serious because of this. Sure, it will go away, but people will still remember.

If you really speak the truth and I need time to develop what you would call "a concious mind", then it will take many years. By then, I will know something you higher beings call "logic and reason". I'm a nutjob trying to be intelligent. A liar, a trickster, a mixed bag. A person unworthy of opinion for fear of no reason. No, wait, I'm just brooding over myself. Ok, nevermind that. The door has been shown to me and for some reason seems to be getting closer than ever before. Oh.

Nevermind. I'm just blabbing on about some stupid point or whatever when I could actually be doing what I say. I have put off walking away from this whole mess for far too long. It's time for a change. And change is what shall happen. Besides, there are much more qualified people out there to contribute to the forum. They can handle things. And if they can't you yourself can pitch in.

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 10-22-2009 02:27 AM]
10-22-2009 at 02:18 AM
Jatopian
He said conscience, not conscious. No one doubts your sentience.

10-22-2009 at 02:24 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Now THAT'S just scary.... This topic has been locked
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com