Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Torchlight by Runic Games (Or, what to play while we wait for Diablo III to come out)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Maurog
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1501
IP: Logged

File: Torchlight.JPG (52.9 KB)
Downloaded 1063 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Torchlight by Runic Games (+2)  
Now, as we all know, Diablo III is the next installment of our favorite action roguelike game, a legendary colossus looming in the horizon, advancing slowly but surely in our direction, and in the best tradition of Blizzard, not even having a release date announced yet, as master gamecrafters toil in their magical workshop to ensure it doesn't see the light of day until it's a polished flawless trend-setting masterpiece.

And then, there is Torchlight. Torchlight is made by a team of guys some of whom worked on Diablo and Diablo II, including the music composer. It will not be groundbreaking by any means, but it will have solid gameplay, solid graphics, solid music, a plot (but not too much of it), and modding options galore with the ability to create your own skill trees and all.

Torchlight is a boomtown built on top of a rich deposit of a magical stone called Ember – the rare and valuable keystone of magic. Shortly after its discovery, all sorts of adventurers came to Torchlight to make their fortunes. Unfortunately for the miners, they weren’t the first to discover this particular vein of Ember – the mines are in fact a layer cake of ruined civilizations, growing more ancient the deeper one descends. Before long, ancient horrors that were once locked safely away from the world boil out of the mines, terrorizing the populace.
There are three character classes in the game:

The Destroyer, who excels at melee combat and channels the power of his ancestors;
The Vanquisher, a superb marksman, who uses traps to debilitate her foes;
And the Alchemist, who channels the power of Ember to attack from afar and summon minions to his side.

I suspect Torchlight will be as close to an up-to-date 3D version of Diablo II as possible without getting sued by Blizzard. Which makes it a spiritual successor of Darkstone. And I don't know about you, but I enjoyed that one immensly, and another Darkstone with better graphics is exactly what can make these dark, cold evenings tolerable while you wait for Diablo III to crawl to the finish line.

The best news of all - Torchlight is coming out exactly 10 days from now.

It will cost 20$, or 18$ if you pre-purchase on Steam.

[Last edited by Maurog at 10-18-2009 05:42 AM]
10-17-2009 at 11:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Torchlight by Runic Games (0)  
I've been keeping an eye on this. Many of the guys on this team were also behind Mythos...a Diablo clone that I tried out when it was in open beta. It was a fun game with a lot of replayability. Unfortunately, it was being developed by people from the same company as Hellgate: London, and when that game folded and was turned over to the investors, all the Mythos IP had to be given up as well. But they seem to have recovered pretty quickly.

I was planning on picking this up but I didn't know about the Steam discount for pre-ordering. I kind of want to wait for some more reviews instead of just developer-distributed videos, though. I'm pretty sure I will enjoy it, but it also seems to share a lot with Fate, which was just missing something. I think the fact that Torchlight has 3 skill trees for each character class, letting you almost have 9 different characters, definitely helps.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-17-2009 at 09:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
One thing I don't get... they say the MMO version will come out later. Will you be able to play the single player version in multiplater though, via LAN or Direct IP?
10-18-2009 at 02:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
I'm pretty sure there are no multiplayer elements at all to this first release. It's like Fate (Wikipedia link), which has some developers in common. Torchlight is actually kind of a mix of Mythos and Fate from what I can tell.

It's not a deal-breaker for me...I almost never played Diablo online anyway. And the way they were developing Mythos as an MMO was like Guild Wars...you see a bunch of people all together in "hub" areas, but when you go into the wilderness or dungeons, everything is instanced. So you can take groups in, but you can play by yourself if you want to.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 10-18-2009 05:13 PM]
10-18-2009 at 05:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
Oneiromancer wrote:
I'm pretty sure there are no multiplayer elements at all to this first release. It's like Fate (Wikipedia link), which has some developers in common. Torchlight is actually kind of a mix of Mythos and Fate from what I can tell.

It's not a deal-breaker for me...I almost never played Diablo online anyway. And the way they were developing Mythos as an MMO was like Guild Wars...you see a bunch of people all together in "hub" areas, but when you go into the wilderness or dungeons, everything is instanced. So you can take groups in, but you can play by yourself if you want to.

That's kinda what I meant... I have this small group of friends and we very much enjoy playing D2 together.
10-18-2009 at 05:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
But Titan Quest is right there.

Right there.

And it's like $20 for the game + expansion?
10-18-2009 at 09:15 PM
Oneiromancer
Titan's Quest is pretty awesome, I agree. I've played through it, including the expansion, and through all three difficulties. The only real drawback for replayability in Titan's Quest is that it doesn't have random maps. If you don't mind that, then its main draw is the number of class combinations you can have (36 in the original, and another 9 in the expansion).

10-19-2009 at 02:36 AM
Banjooie
Eh. Diablo II's random maps don't add that much to it, I never felt like I was playing a different game, just that I didn't know where I was going.
10-20-2009 at 07:57 AM
Oneiromancer
Well, I like random maps, so it is a plus for me. :)

10-20-2009 at 10:28 PM
Maurog
Exactly 1 day until it comes out. C'mon, c'mon...

By the way, I really like the font they are using, extremely clear and with a spiky feel to it.

10-26-2009 at 10:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I saw the review for this on Jayisgames and instantly bought it.

I haven't played any of the Diablos, but as far as the genre is concerned, I must say this is a great adventure. I'm only part-way in and and the atmosphere so far has been superb.

I wouldn't call it an easy game though, and my only qualm when playing is getting lost - I like to fully explore so have found lots of secret portals which seem to take me to interconnected locations but are of varying difficulty. Keeping track of what leads where can be confusing.

This game will rinse away the hours though so be warned :)
12-16-2009 at 08:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
I am vaguely dismayed by the game's tendency to drop epics on me every three seconds.

I'm on Normal. Come on. This is dumb.
12-16-2009 at 09:12 PM
Maurog
icon Re: Torchlight by Runic Games (+1)  
Uh, in this game Hard is actually the Normal mode, Normal is Easy and Easy is like a warped Teletubbies show where everything is flowers and rainbows and monsters dance and hug and then run up to you and impale themselves on your sword.

12-16-2009 at 10:07 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Lucky I picked hard then :)
12-17-2009 at 08:25 PM
Banjooie
Do I at least get to start over at a higher difficulty if I go through the effort of beating this game?

12-18-2009 at 01:45 AM
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
Torchlight is on sale (50% off) for 24 hours at Direct2Drive.

http://www.direct2drive.com/3/8663/product/Buy-Torchlight-Download
(19 hours 15 minutes left!)

I don't think I am going to buy this one (not a huge fan of RPGs nowadays), but I thought I'd let you guys know.

[Last edited by Bombadil at 12-23-2009 10:42 PM]
12-23-2009 at 10:42 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Aaand if you're not from the US or the UK - it's also 50% off on Steam, as well as boatloads of other games until the 3rd of January...

12-23-2009 at 11:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jdyer
Rank Points: 329
There's a utility to tweak difficulty in save games (so you can bump up difficulty of a game in progress). It also lets turn "hardcore" on or off.

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4763

[Last edited by jdyer at 12-26-2009 08:27 PM]
12-26-2009 at 04:31 PM
Maurog
Aaand, for one day only, you can get Torchlight on Steam for just 5 bucks.

Buy it now, you cheap bastards!

12-26-2009 at 05:57 PM
Briareos
Maurog wrote:
Buy it now, you cheap bastards!
Oi! Me buying it today doesn't make me cheap, but only a basterd! :-O

(Then again, it could be a while until I get to play it - I'll have to finish Dragon Age: Origins first... :D)

[Last edited by Briareos at 12-26-2009 11:27 PM]
12-26-2009 at 11:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Bombadil

I played the demo yesterday and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I think I am going to buy it tomorrow :)

It is still on sale on D2D and on the official site! NICE!
12-27-2009 at 11:26 PM
Bombadil
Ok, I bought the game and I've played through the first 20 levels or so.

It's not like I am not having fun, but it isn't giving me anything new. I mean, I enjoy leveling up, getting new stuff and abilities, ... but it is very time consuming to get some real progress, the random levels feel kind of repetitive and the (almost non-existent) story isn't that great to keep me interested.

If I wanted random levels of the same stuff with the occasional boss fight, I would get another job. :P
01-04-2010 at 09:20 AM
Briareos
Bombadil wrote:
It's not like I am not having fun, but it isn't giving me anything new. I mean, I enjoy leveling up, getting new stuff and abilities, ... but it is very time consuming to get some real progress, the random levels feel kind of repetitive and the (almost non-existent) story isn't that great to keep me interested.
Might I suggest Dragon Age: Origins for story and progress? ;)

(Though you might want to get it from Amazon UK as it's just 18.48 UKP/20.65 EUR - I just checked it's price on Steam and it's a whopping 49 EUR there... :huh)

01-04-2010 at 05:18 PM
Maurog
Umm, as usual, I offer any Europeans who have PayPal to buy Steam games for them for $, and then they send me the $ back. DA:O will cost you 50$ this way.

That said, I'm not buying it myself until it hits the bargain bin. Awesome reviews notwithstanding, not releasing a demo is the peak of arrogance which should not be rewarded.

By the way, I picked The Last Remnant when it had the holidays discount, and I'm enjoying it immensely. It's very satisfying story-wise and mechanics-wise, but most of all, the scenery is simply beautiful. The plot is a bit weak at points, the main character is an unlikable brat, a few others speak in cliches, but the depth of the fantasy world and the great visuals compensate for all its flaws. Very recommended, and it's also 50$ now, try the demo.

01-04-2010 at 05:35 PM
Briareos
Maurog wrote:
Umm, as usual, I offer any Europeans who have PayPal to buy Steam games for them for $, and then they send me the $ back. DA:O will cost you 50$ this way.
Still - unless the shipping to you is more than 15 EUR you'll still pay less at Amazon UK, plus you get to have a physical disc to keep on the shelf.

(Sure, the game does a CD check, but I guess it only checks the disc's label as a tiny DVD image with just the directory structure and no real data in the files mounted in Daemon Tools is accepted by the game... :huh)

01-04-2010 at 11:55 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
While I too am annoyed when something does not have a demo (although these days I seem to only hunt bargain bin's, so it's irrelevant), I have been told that making demo's are bloody hard work, so I wouldn't be so quick to condemn it as the hight of arrogance, but more a pragmatic decision based on desired consumers. After all, there are many other ways to experience the game beyond demo's, such as peer's, user generated video's (if not official), review's and blogs & other social media.
01-05-2010 at 02:48 AM
Maurog
Oh, I understand that's it's a conscious decision, generating hype and cashing in on enthusiasts and favorable reviews, then sweeping people like me with bargain prices a few months later.

But still, that makes their position somewhere between "oh, we're so good we don't even need a demo, mwah" and "aww shucks, we know we're not really good enough to make you want to pay the full price even if we had a demo".

01-05-2010 at 09:45 AM
TheGreenPhantom
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
There is a demo for Torchlight. Go to this site: http://www.onrpg.com/MMO/Torchlight-MMO/news/Try-Torchlight-for-Free-at-OnRPG. Onrpg does wonders. This is a sixty minute trial.

01-05-2010 at 09:55 AM
Maurog
Umm yeah, we were still talking about Dragon Age: Origins of course, sorry for derailing my own thread, haha.

01-05-2010 at 10:09 AM
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
Maurog wrote:
Oh, I understand that's it's a conscious decision, generating hype and cashing in on enthusiasts and favorable reviews, then sweeping people like me with bargain prices a few months later.

But still, that makes their position somewhere between "oh, we're so good we don't even need a demo, mwah" and "aww shucks, we know we're not really good enough to make you want to pay the full price even if we had a demo".

Or "we're working hard on polishing and expanding Mass Effect 2 and don't won't to divert resources in order to make a demo for a game created to cater to a pre-established fanbase".

[Last edited by Snacko at 01-05-2010 11:24 AM]
01-05-2010 at 11:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Torchlight by Runic Games (Or, what to play while we wait for Diablo III to come out)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com