Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : SubTerra Crashes When Minimized (Quite annoying)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
hatkirby
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon SubTerra Crashes When Minimized (0)  
I know this has been acknowledged before, but is anything going to be done about it? My computer randomly opens new windows all of the time and whenever this happens, SubTerra gets automatically minimized and I lose whatever level I'd been playing/making, which is extremely frustrating. I've tried SubTerra in Windowed mode, and that does stop the problem, but Windowed mode makes SubTerra run extremely slowly, so I don't like to use it.

[Last edited by hatkirby at 09-15-2009 02:43 AM]
09-15-2009 at 12:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Danjen02
Rank Points: 11
icon Re: SubTerra Crashes When Minimized (0)  
I believe that the problem lies with the way Windows handles stuff, so it really is beyond Radiant's control. If I recall, he added the windowed mode just to deal with this issue. I'm not 100% on this, so can someone confirm?

09-15-2009 at 02:19 AM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
Have you tried the latest version, which should be faster in windowed mode?

It would seem that the main problem is your computer randomly opening new windows; this sounds like you've got some kind of Trojan or adware on your computer. Have you tried scanning it with e.g. Ad-Aware or AVG?

[Last edited by Radiant at 09-15-2009 11:43 AM]
09-15-2009 at 08:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hatkirby
Rank Points: 10
I have McAfee Anti-Virus (I also have AdAware) which regularly scans my computer, but you're probably right, there might be a virus somewhere. But it not just random popups that make no sense. For instance, whenever I unplug or plug in the charger, it opens this window that asks if I would like to disconnect from the internet (which in itself does make no sense).

The only other thing is that it's not always easy to allocate time just for playing SubTerra, sometimes I want to be doing something else at the same time, such as IMing a friend, which isn't really possible if SubTerra crashes when I Alt-Tab.

However, the good thing is that I realized that SubTerra autosaves levels that you are working on so the level I was creating yesterday when SubTerra crashed was saved :)

Why would the latest version be slower in Windowed mode? Wouldn't the goal be to get it to the same speed as Full Screen mode?

[Last edited by hatkirby at 09-15-2009 11:26 AM]
09-15-2009 at 11:25 AM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
hatkirby wrote:
Why would the latest version be slower in Windowed mode?
That's a typo, I meant "faster" :)

09-15-2009 at 11:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : SubTerra Crashes When Minimized (Quite annoying)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com