Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Problems with text in JtRH
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
wombatiouspenguin
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
IP: Logged
icon Problems with text in JtRH (0)  
I have been playing JtRH for a couple days and have encountered a bug. I got to the level nine exit room (before completing the level) and looked at the scroll. It was blank. I then noticed that the room names (eg. 1 north, 2 east) had disappeared. Instead it said "Level Nine: , ". I tried escaping and then clicking "continue playing" but the problem was still there. I exited out of DROD and started it up again. Everything worked fine. Hooray! I thought my troubles were over. No such luck.
I conquered all the rooms in level nine and went back to the exit room. this time the scroll had text! When I got to the level ten stairs I went down. There was a dinging noise and the level description was normal except that where it should say "level ten" it said "position." when in the entrance room it reads "position.:entrance." :angry
I exited out of DROD and started it up again. the main menu was fine, but when I clicked on the "continue playing" button I again heard that awful "dinging noise." Again, the room locater thing at the top read "position.:entrance." I exited DROD and started it up again. The same thing happened at the "continue playing" button. I exited and restarted then went to the restore screen. All of the level names had been replaced with what looks like short parts of sentences from the captions for people talking. I just decided I would play on anyway and I continued playing, but when Beethro said something in the entrance room (I can't remember what) the caption was wrong (it was another one of those cut of sentences). I exited DROD and tried to open it up again. I've restarted my computer but JtRH still wont open. I just tried Dugan's and it works fine. I'm not sure if this is a bug or if my computer is just being weird (it is running a little slow right now). Still. It would be great if someone would look into this. I can't play JtRH anymore. :(

Hold Completion:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by wombatiouspenguin at 09-02-2009 06:49 AM]
09-02-2009 at 06:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
icon Re: Problems with text in JtRH (0)  
Please provide your drod.err file. On windows you can find it in /Data folder, wherever you have installed JtRH. On other OS'es it should be in ~/.caravel/jtrh's folder.

09-02-2009 at 01:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
Secondly, what is your version?
09-02-2009 at 01:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wombatiouspenguin

File: drod.ini (2.7 KB)
Downloaded 36 times.
License: Other
I'm running windows Vista, which means that the file extensions are not shown (obnoxious). I attached the only file named drod, which has a file type of configuration settings.
I'm not sure what version of JtRH I'm running, but I downloaded it the day before yesterday, so that means it's the newest one, right?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just found the version number in the changelog. It is 2.0.16. Also I just looked at the file attached to my post and it says drod.ini. so somewhere there is a drod.err file and I'm missing it. I will continue to search.

Hold Completion:

[Last edited by wombatiouspenguin at 09-02-2009 07:13 PM]
09-02-2009 at 07:07 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Problems with text in JtRH (+2)  
wombatiouspenguin wrote:
I'm running windows Vista, which means that the file extensions are not shown (obnoxious).
Explorer > Tools > Folder options... > View > [ ] Hide extensions for known file types > ba-dum-tish.

09-02-2009 at 07:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Yeah, there's been issues for some reason with people finding the DROD.err file on vista. I can't remember the solution.
09-02-2009 at 07:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wombatiouspenguin
Thanks Briareos. I actually had already found that about five minutes after my post and decided that it wasn't worth editing it again. Now, looking at the files in the data folder, there isn't a "drod.err" file...

Hold Completion:

09-02-2009 at 07:41 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Problems with text in JtRH (+1)  
NiroZ wrote:
Yeah, there's been issues for some reason with people finding the DROD.err file on vista. I can't remember the solution.

I think Briareos covered it here. drod.err ends up (on my Vista machine, anyway) in the same place that drod.ini ended up.

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=29892&page=0#293598

09-02-2009 at 07:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
wombatiouspenguin

File: drod.err (2.8 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
License: Other
Hooray for Briareos and jbluestein. Here is the drod.err file. What's weird is that I am an administrator on my computer...

Hold Completion:

09-02-2009 at 07:51 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
wombatiouspenguin wrote:
Hooray for Briareos and jbluestein. Here is the drod.err file. What's weird is that I am an administrator on my computer...

I don't want to take this too far off-topic, and I don't actually have any real knowledge of Vista internals to share, but my experience with Vista suggests that it doesn't matter whether your default user is an Administrator -- most applications run without Admin privileges unless explicitly told to.

</OT>

09-02-2009 at 07:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
wombatiouspenguin
jbluestein wrote:

I don't want to take this too far off-topic, and I don't actually have any real knowledge of Vista internals to share, but my experience with Vista suggests that it doesn't matter whether your default user is an Administrator -- most applications run without Admin privileges unless explicitly told to.

</OT>

Yeah. I've had that problem before where I have to right click and select "run as administrator." It's sort of obnoxious. Oh well. I found the drod.err file. So what can be done with that?

Hold Completion:

09-02-2009 at 07:58 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
You post the relevant contents, or attach the file itself.

P.S. You might consider disabling UAC so you don't have all this "run as administrator" nonsense.

09-02-2009 at 08:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wombatiouspenguin
I did attach the file (a couple posts up).

Hold Completion:

09-02-2009 at 08:59 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Oh. Sorry. Well, in that case now you wait for someone who knows their stuff to come along and try to figure out what the problem is or at least who could figure out.

09-02-2009 at 09:01 PM
DanielFishman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 159
Jatopian wrote:
Oh. Sorry. Well, in that case now you wait for someone who knows their stuff to come along and try to figure out what the problem is or at least who could figure out.

Or, more likely, request db files so they can figure out what the problem is...
09-02-2009 at 10:49 PM
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
Jatopian wrote:
P.S. You might consider disabling UAC so you don't have all this "run as administrator" nonsense.

I actually would not recommend doing so... would you run any other operating system using root as your everyday business user account? No, you'd use su, GKSU, or sudo.

09-05-2009 at 10:04 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
I've used my XP administrator account for over 3 years, and have never had a problem. So why exactly would there be one in Vista?
09-05-2009 at 10:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
wombatiouspenguin
I realize that this is now an old thread, but my problem is still there. I've reinstalled JtRH and it opens fine if I open it by checking the box that says "run JtRH" when I'm installing, but if I try and open it after exiting out, It doesn't work. Could someone please help?

Hold Completion:

04-18-2010 at 09:42 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
wombatiouspenguin wrote:
I realize that this is now an old thread, but my problem is still there. I've reinstalled JtRH and it opens fine if I open it by checking the box that says "run JtRH" when I'm installing, but if I try and open it after exiting out, It doesn't work. Could someone please help?
Have you tried installing the game somewhere else instead of into c:\Program Files? Maybe it's Vista's file "virtualization" that should prevent regular users from writing into that folder that's giving you trouble?

04-19-2010 at 12:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wombatiouspenguin
icon Re: Problems with text in JtRH (+1)  
Briareos wrote:
Have you tried installing the game somewhere else instead of into c:\Program Files? Maybe it's Vista's file "virtualization" that should prevent regular users from writing into that folder that's giving you trouble?

I tried this with little hope, but it worked! :thumbsup
I have JtRH again. yay! Unfortunately, I must now play through levels 1-9 all over again, but that's better than nothing. Thank you Briareos.

Hold Completion:

04-19-2010 at 03:14 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Problems with text in JtRH
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No