Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Tale of Two Kingdoms--Game won't start! (Error message when trying to start game)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
pkticker
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Tale of Two Kingdoms--Game won't start! (0)  
I just downloaded this game and installed it. I followed the instructions listed in the manual. When I try to start the game, however, I get the following error message:

Unable to write to the current directory. Do not run this game off a network or CD-ROM drive. Also check drive free space (you need 1 Mb free).

I am not running it from a network or CD-ROM drive, and I do have enough drive free space. My computer is running Windows Vista (with which this game is supposed to be compatible).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
08-19-2009 at 12:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
icon Re: Tale of Two Kingdoms--Game won't start! (0)  
It is probably a user rights issue. When it starts, the game writes some temporary data to your hard drive, which is removed again when the game quits.

Thus the error message, "Unable to write to the current directory", will occur if the directory the game is in somehow cannot be written. For instance, CD-ROMs cannot generally be written to. On the other hand, in Vista it is easy to accidentally forbid software to write in its own directory.

08-19-2009 at 08:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
pkticker
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
icon Re: Tale of Two Kingdoms--Game won't start! (0)  
Ahh, thanks. I ran it as administrator and it worked... for a while. Then it started freezing every few minutes. I suppose that's an unrelated issue?
08-20-2009 at 11:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Tale of Two Kingdoms--Game won't start! (Error message when trying to start game)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com