Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Wait for no speech (I think this is a REALLY useful command.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Chaosgamer
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 88
IP: Logged
icon Wait for no speech (0)  
A
wait for no speech
command, think about all the stuff this can do and all the things and trouble it would save us. Any comments?

I think this will be a VERY, VERY, VERY useful command in terms of cutscenes.
08-14-2009 at 11:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
icon Re: Wait for no speech (0)  
Chaosgamer wrote:
A
wait for no speech
command, think about all the stuff this can do and all the things and trouble it would save us. Any comments?

I think this will be a VERY, VERY, VERY useful command in terms of cutscenes.

It'd have to be strictly limited to cutscenes, 'cause otherwise we'd have timed DROD... :evil:

08-14-2009 at 11:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Wait for no speech (+2)  
Mike replied in >here< why this is not going to happen.

08-14-2009 at 11:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Wait for no speech (+1)  
hartleyhair wrote:
It'd have to be strictly limited to cutscenes, 'cause otherwise we'd have timed DROD... :evil:
Exactly--and in cutscenes, as I've been learning in the cutscene-heavy hold I'm writing, you simply time how long the speech takes and put a "wait N" in there (where N = [length of speech in milliseconds]/[milliseconds per move in the cutscene]).

But yes, as Mike says in the post Tim links to, the speech feature is designed to be something that runs independently from the move-by-move engine, so a "wait until no speech" wouldn't really work.
08-15-2009 at 01:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
averagemoe
Rank Points: 487
icon Re: Wait for no speech (+1)  
I just came up with a system that might make this feature feasible. Every time a Speech command is executed during a cut scene, it adds the number of milliseconds in the speech delay to to an invisible countdown variable. On every turn of the cut scene, this countdown will decrease by the current time-per-turn. Executing a Flush Speech command, or ending the cut scene will immediately set it to zero. The wait for no speech command will basically be a command to wait until this countdown is finished.

Normally, I just add all the millisecond numbers together with a calculator, divide by the time-per-turn, and round up. But I do think this feature could be handy in case the cut scene contains conditional dialogue that might alter the length of the speech.

04-05-2020 at 06:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
azb
Rank Points: 460
I agree that might be a good workaround, but that still doesn't necessarily address one of the points of the original rejection, which was that there should be no real time DROD elements whatsoever (as the game is a turn-based puzzle and not a reflex tester).

[Last edited by azb at 04-05-2020 07:22 PM]
04-05-2020 at 07:20 PM
averagemoe
Rank Points: 487
azb wrote:
I agree that might be a good workaround, but that still doesn't necessarily address one of the points of the original rejection, which was that there should be no real time DROD elements whatsoever (as the game is a turn-based puzzle and not a reflex tester).

And my suggestion doesn't involve anything real time. It's just a way of using pre-set time values to formulate how many turns to wait.

04-05-2020 at 08:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
azb
Rank Points: 460
Okay, I saw the part involving milliseconds and thought you were requesting a real-time feature. I'm sorry for causing confusion/misinterpreting.

04-08-2020 at 05:35 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Wait for no speech (I think this is a REALLY useful command.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com