Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Yep: Another Rant
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
IP: Logged
icon Yep: Another Rant (0)  
I'm going crazy. I know this because I just spent the last 15 minutes wandering around the kitchen mumbling.

In some chat using the Carvel Chat room in-game, I felt very ridiculed about bringing up a topic that I have no idea why everybody's so antsy about. The jist of the topic at hand was about how challenge and difficulty are extremely different from each other. Not really something to get annoyed about, but I can understand why that happened. The chat lasted for only a few lines, but it got me thinking. (name withheld) said that there was a page in Reader's Digest just for people like me. I get the feeling like I pissed a lot of people off by saying some hold was really hard.*

I want to stop playing DROD so that I don't feel disappointed when I try to play. Unfortunately, I'm addicted to the game. I can't come to the decision where to try to quit the game or get better at it. I know that getting better at the game will be an extremely long and difficult task, and I know that completely quitting the game is just as hard as getting better at it. What should I do?

Yeah, I feel jealous of those who strike gold the first time they make a hold. Then again, I've always felt that way. But now, I feel jealous of those who freaking strike plain rock when they make a hold. The forum has become too small for a true variety of most types of puzzles at tons of difficulties. Nowadays, the only architects are getting better and better at holds. Soon, the game may lose a ton of people because the last of the usermade holds rival Beethro's Teacher in difficulty.

Jealousy is a feeling that gets you nothing and nowhere, but I'm still feeling it. Maybe I'm just setting my expectations too high. Maybe I can try to settle with a mediocre hold and work my way to the top from there. I could try that, but after I cool down.

I'll stop whining now.

*Those who were present in the chat, I mean no offense to you. I was just confused and pissed at the time.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
07-27-2009 at 10:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 200
icon Re: Yep: Another Rant (0)  
I felt nearly the same way during TCB, and I got frustrated a lot with rooms that other people simply breezed through. I've taken a hiatus from DROD playing for almost 6 months already, and I think it's killed a lot of that jealousy. And now my anticipation is rising towards the next big project, which I will tackle with the blunt pickaxe I know I will get frustrated with after level 14/equivalent. I've noticed that lots of the fun-killing components of DROD only affect me after lots of time of gameplay marked by slow, painful progress in insanely hard holds I WANT to beat but just can't without lots of hints. Recognize that some holds aren't for everyone, and you should feel your fun-meter rise again, and get a confidence booster knowing that there are people on H&S that you can actually help. Flying through a couple of those 2/3 brainer holds does in fact make you more excited about DROD, and helps your mind subconsciously remember things that can help in future, harder holds. Take a break, and if you like the game as much as you say you do you won't feel frustrated as much after a while. Now I'm glad I'm not the only one who hit myself over the head after getting stuck on Great Uncle Yurgess's. :)

07-27-2009 at 11:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Yep: Another Rant (+1)  
Guy's, its not a competition...

I suck and I know I suck. I'm perfectly happy to live with that.
07-28-2009 at 02:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fang
Rank Points: 175
I found that I was good enough to Master TCB with help, but then I tried out RPG as soon as it got out and bam, that was my deliverance. So now I play RPG, and very only occasionally TCB. I wasn't good at either when I began, though I practiced, be it user-made holds or the main one, and I eventually finished both. I enjoy my time, even though I'm pretty sure I can't do Gigantic Jewel Lost or something hard like that, and I sadface at the fact I won't learn their stories... But there's still many easier holds.

And when there won't be anymore to do? I'll make my own. That's what the editor is there for, and that alone is a whole new experience. So basically you can enjoy making holds in TCB or playing them, or making holds in RPG or playing them. That's quite a lot of choice and there's something for everyone! Don't despair. Keep on trying, you'll get better. Maybe not the best, or in the bests, but many, many players will never be, and they still enjoy the games.

You gotta ask yourself: What do I look for in DROD? What do I enjoy? and once you answer those questions, there you go.

07-28-2009 at 03:06 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
So uh

I feel like we need more specifics or a log before we can discuss this properly. I don't see why you need to withhold names or speak so vaguely when CaravelNet chat is not private.

07-28-2009 at 03:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
12th Archivist wrote:
(name withheld) said that there was a page in Reader's Digest just for people like me.
That was me. Hi. I was responding to a particular line, with a quote, i.e.

Douglas Adams wrote:
Ford ignored him. He said, "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
"Very deep," said Arthur, "you should send that in to the Reader's Digest. They've got a page for people like you."

I've long since closed the DROD chat so I have no idea what the context was, but someone said something that struck me as sounding much deeper than it actually was, and the "Reader's Digest" line is standard shorthand among my people (i.e., geeks) to indicate that.

So I wasn't dismissing the entire discussion. I'm sorry I wasn't clearer about it all; I'm particularly tired and disoriented right now.

[Last edited by Tahnan at 07-28-2009 03:48 AM]
07-28-2009 at 03:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
I *knew* I should have posted "that must have been Tahnan". Because then I'd look smart now or something.

07-28-2009 at 04:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
Dischorran wrote:
I *knew* I should have posted "that must have been Tahnan". Because then I'd look smart now or something.

With the edit function, anyone can be Dirk Gently.

07-28-2009 at 04:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Jesus christ, if you guys told me that DROD chat was gonna be this awesome I'd have resubscribed by now.
07-28-2009 at 07:47 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
"DROD chat is gonna be this awesome."

07-28-2009 at 01:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zwetschenwasser
Rank Points: 200
NiroZ wrote:
Guy's, its not a competition...

I suck and I know I suck. I'm perfectly happy to live with that.

You're so much more CONCISE! I envy your concision.

07-28-2009 at 11:29 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
WHAT?! Things like that happen?!

7/8 of the time I log on DROD's CaravelChat, there's nothing but one person online or two, and absolutely no chat going on. :(

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

07-31-2009 at 06:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Yep: Another Rant
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com