Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : What are you looking forward to in future years?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
IP: Logged
icon What are you looking forward to in future years? (0)  
What movies, games, books, inventions, events, etc. are you looking forward to in 2010 and beyond?

Movies: Prince of Persia Sands of Time

Games: Don't really have one

Books: Not much of a book person

Inventions: Who knows? I'd like to see someone make fusion power of a space station using electricity to generate huge electromagnetic fields to protect the station of destruction or something like that

Events: Anything positive on the Iraq and Afghanistan war, or getting out of the Second Depression would be excellent

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
07-23-2009 at 02:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: What are you looking forward to in future years? (0)  
Oh boy...

Movies:
* James Cameron's "Battle Angel"

Music:
* Aphex Twin's next album, if it ever gets released... :D
* Autechre's next album

Books:
* Hellsing 10 and it's ending
* Battle Angel Alita: Last Order's next volumes

Games:
* Sam & Max, Season Three
* and MAYBE Diablo III

np: Redcell - Active E Motion (B12 - B12 Records Archive Vol. 3 (Disc 1))

07-23-2009 at 12:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Briareos wrote:
Movies:
* James Cameron's "Battle Angel"
Wait, are they making Battle Angel Alita movie? Brr, I hope it won't be as *adjective* as the Dragon Ball Evolution.

As for my expectations:

Movies:
*Toy Story 3 and all future Pixar productions
*Next two movies from the new Neon Genesis Evangelion
*New Ghibli productions I guess

Music:
*Hm, Freedom Call's new album perhaps
*And maybe Machinae Supremacy if they get around making one
*And of course Martin Leung's playing in Europe (I sincerely hope that someday he will and I will grab two tickets)

Books:
*Not book per se, but last volume of NGE manga

Games:
*My new productions of course :)
*And probably my first go on shareware if I get around making something worthwhile

Events:
*Passing my first year on Gdansk's Polytechnic! And passing all the next years too actually
*Moving from parents' house, meh

07-23-2009 at 01:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
skell wrote:
Wait, are they making Battle Angel Alita movie? Brr, I hope it won't be as *adjective* as the Dragon Ball Evolution.
Yes, they are: it's slated for 2011.

James Cameron's Avatar that's coming out at the end of this year might be a good indicator if he's still got it - he did make Terminator 1 & 2, Aliens and True Lies, after all, which are some of my favourite movies... :)

np: Redcell - Why The Reason (B12 - B12 Records Archive Vol. 4 (Disc 1))

07-23-2009 at 01:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
That's a relief, I guess it has quite a big chance to be a good movie. I watched the anime OAV and liked it, and then on a convention I won Manga's first volume and liked it even better (will have to get around getting the whole thing sooner or later). :)

07-23-2009 at 02:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bobpie
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 54
He discusses Avatar Here and Here (It's 2 part).
07-23-2009 at 02:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
Movies:
The Simpsons Movie 2
Some good anime movies

Games :
New Kirby game for DS
New Pokemon games
Hopefully this year,DROD :The Second Sky
Dr.Lunatic 3

Inventions:
Jetpack that works well!

Events:
Finnish Pokémon Events
07-25-2009 at 02:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 200
Toy Story 3 and college life.

07-25-2009 at 05:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
I'm looking forward to Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon. In the 60s Pynchon wrote Gravity's Rainbow, which is routinely considered the absolute best American postmodern work, and often the best American novel of the 20th century. Some also believe it is better than Ulysses. I believe this can be proven as a matter of principle: a book should be written with the reader in mind, no matter how much it confuses the reader. James Joyce stated sometime before his trial that the book was written with the purpose of giving himself a sort of popular immortality (which he succeeded in). Rainbow, though profoundly confusing at points, was clearly written to be read, and for all his complex literary puzzles and rich prose, Pynchon never forgot his goal: to create a book that was at once powerful, profound, hilarious and entirely unique, and no one can deny that he did just that.

After Gravity's Rainbow, Pynchon dropped off the face of the earth for 30 years, only occasionally submitting articles and reviews to the New York Times, appearing on The Simpsons twice and publishing a collection of previously released short stories (which I absolutely recommend to anyone who wants to see postmodernism at its finest, along with his first three novels). Throughout the 90s and in 2006, Pynchon wrote three more novels, to polarized reviews, which is probably just what Pynchon expected.

Inherent Vice is reportedly just over 400 pages, which is his shortest book since Vineland, and third shortest novel overall (the shortest is The Crying of Lot 49, which is under 200 pages). Pynchon routinely over-writes his novels, which is fine when it is either given a structure as rigid as in Lot 49 or is given no structure at all, as in Rainbow, but it occasionally makes his novels seem unfocused.

It's also apparently a parody of film noir, which is my favorite genre.

07-26-2009 at 08:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : What are you looking forward to in future years?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com