Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Pathmapping (Just for curious people)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
IP: Logged

File: Pathmapping.drh (9.7 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Pathmapping (0)  
So, while working on yet another engine (actually, a pretty much complete game-hold) and fighting some problems with Move acting different from DROD:TCB I came up with idea of doing Pathfinding.

Generally it was pretty easy and straightforward, I have to give credit to BlitzMax for generating majority of the code for me (not without getting proper instructions first though :) ).

So anyway, I might be mixing some definitions, but for me Pathfinding constist of Pathmapping (mapping the path with numbers) and then following this path. So Yes, I managed to complete the first step, Pathmapping and it works well and fine... but devilishly slow. It is as if comparing Warp 9 to drowned snail in mud with whatever he uses to walk tied with rope and glued to a mountain. Not that I expected any other results, but if you only want to compute a path once and this path leads through a maze, you are fine.

Before you download and test this miracle of science I have to warn you - DO NOT TRY TO USE THIS WITH OPEN SPACE OF SIZE BIGGER THAN 5x5!
Really, I have to stress this, because it will just crash DROD and throw an error. So, remember, Mazes Yes, Open Space NO.

I am not really going to describe how it works. Perhaps you can optimize it, but I am afraid I don't really care - I don't think it can be optimized enough to make it usable for anything (especially that actual finding the path in Map would be almost as slow).

Now that you read this lil' rant, you can go to downloading. The room I created shouldn't crash DROD, it takes only around 1/3-1/2 of second on my lousy notebook, but if you are afraid that it might damage your data (10 crashes did not damage mine) feel free to backup it first or ignore this post whatsoever.

06-23-2009 at 11:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
minimike98
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 1
icon Re: Pathmapping (0)  
Dude i dont get this hold how dose it work what do you do thers just squers no monsters no chalenges :hmmm:
06-27-2009 at 01:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Samuel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 69
It's not meant to have monsters, it's pathmapping, whatever that is.
Read the post at the top.

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon

[Last edited by Samuel at 06-27-2009 01:32 AM]
06-27-2009 at 01:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
minimike98
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 1
Good point what is path mapping? it eaven muckes my computer whan i try to play it this hold is wired
06-27-2009 at 03:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
It's not really meant to be played. It's just a demonstration for architects.

06-27-2009 at 03:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Pathmapping (Just for curious people)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com