Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Gurenocalypse (Updated 29/06/09)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Fang
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 175
IP: Logged

File: Gurenocalypse.drh (4.6 MB)
Downloaded 89 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Gurenocalypse (+1)  
I was bored and I had some time, so I did some maths and bored + free time = RPG hold. I haven't filled much of the story going on yet, will do that later. For now, updates!

Sorry for the large hold size.

New from version 0.3, you can now choose your side, be it the Stalwart side or the Goblin side. Both have different stories, though the main story remains the same you will be able to live it from two opposed points of view. Stalwarts are considered the evil ones while the goblins are the "innocent good guys". They're not the stalwarts from the surface, mind you.

Note: I will need someone to help me with goblin speech once I put in some goblin NPCs or if I'm in need of making the player speak.

New this version:
-Imperial Tower gardens along with the end of that level, area properly renamed as "L1 - Imperial Tower" instead of "W1 - Imperial Tower" (L are for Levels and W are for Worlds, Worlds are the main areas where you access Levels)
-Changed some speeches to reflect more what I meant by them
-Filled in some more of the story for both sides
-Fixed the script for the Stalwart training area blue key encounter
-Last area for Stalwart side is now Obsidian Waterway: The Entrance, and the last area for the goblin side remains the same.

Next version will have:
-Obsidian Waterway and it is completely revamped, so if you had stepped inside the old Entrance you'd have to restore to an earlier checkpoint, I'm really sorry. :(
-A whole bunch of new stuff in the Imperial Tower and the Imperial Castle, though most of the added stuff is for later on as a goblin. Feel free to check if so you wish too.
-As stated further in the thread, this is gonna be the last update available for a while, as the next one will be posted to a beta forum, tested and freed of bugs/exploits before being posted here. If you wish to participate in the beta, send me a PM stating which side you'd like to test. Beta has launched, congrats to those who joined! Remember you can still join.
-Check out my other thread about character switch, that's right, you'll get your very own Menu as well, though you can't switch characters you can save from anywhere, access the inventory/DEF room from anywhere and WARP to each level as you uncover them! No longer will you need to painfully walk all the way back to a level you forgot something in so long ago or pay anything to unlock Inventory squares.

However, the inventory script will not be fully functional until the hold reaches its final level, that means if you begin playing with say, 3 levels in the game so far, since the Inventory script is in the first room ever of the game, it won't update for level 4 and over, so you'll only be able to warp to level 3 and under.*

*Untested but theory. No worries if you don't mind backtracking until the hold is completely functional, the inventory/etc will still work fine.

[Last edited by Fang at 07-29-2009 04:56 AM]
06-16-2009 at 02:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: Gurenocalypse (0)  
I will test this. But I also want to make sure that you intend to complete Einar at some point ;) Or (if you don't), that you intend to complete this hold.

Edit: Turns out I can't test right now, since my DROD RPG has colapsed :(

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 06-16-2009 08:06 AM]
06-16-2009 at 07:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fang
I'll definitely complete Einar, but right now I'm focusing on this.

06-16-2009 at 12:19 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
I've completed everything which is possible in this version(and opened all four blue doors in W1 - Isalfdar Cavern, 1 West).

My stats after opening four blue doors there:

Click here to view the secret text

Nice level-set, but in my opinion too many HP potions. I think someone like Blondbeard can focus on that and save a lot of greckles and keys.

Possible bug:

Did you intend Wisps to have "attack atjacent" behaviour? If you didn't, I don't see any reason to kill Wisp in Spirit Temple 1S 3W.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 06-16-2009 12:48 PM]
06-16-2009 at 12:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fang
mxvladi wrote:
Did you intend Wisps to have "attack atjacent" behaviour? If you didn't, I don't see any reason to kill Wisp in Spirit Temple 1S 3W.

I didn't. They're more there as a greckles helper for those optmising once you reach the adequate DEF to not take damage from their Attack First.

06-16-2009 at 04:06 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
My statistics:

Key phantom
===

HP: 594
ATK: 41
DEF: 0
Keys: 1/0/1

GR: 24
REP: 201

Score = 259

Stalwart spy uncovered!
===

HP: 112
ATK: 48
DEF: 0
Keys: 0/0/0

GR: 11
REP: 258

Score = 242

===

Upon opening the four blue doors in W1 Once West:

HP: 112
ATK: 48
DEF: 10
GR: 11
REP: 258

Score = 272

===

Overall, you have a pretty well-balanced hold, although you definitely have a lot of spare greckles -> health trades lying around. Not necessarily a bad thing, though.

Looking forward to the next part of the hold! :)

06-16-2009 at 04:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Stew Boy
Rank Points: 247
Bug: The tunnel in Frigid Lands: The Entrance doesn't do anything.
Stats:

Scribe defeated!
HP: 329
ATK: 84
DEF: 10
Keys: 0/0/0
Score: 458
(I've used up most of the greckle -> HP exchanges that I know of)

Oh, and I used doorwalking + 2 yellow keys to get access to the short sword and key in Frigid Lands: 5N1E. Seeing as the gates get lowered later on, am I not supposed to do that?
Also, I don't really see the point of the staircase linking 3N2W to 2N2W. Wouldn't a simple passage be quicker?

I like the hold though.

[Last edited by The Stew Boy at 06-17-2009 08:28 AM]
06-17-2009 at 08:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Am I meant to get the short sword in the second level by using two keys? I geuss so, but just asking to make sure.

Edit: On second thought I guess it isn't intended that you should be able to get the blue key and short sword by spending four yellow keys.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 06-17-2009 08:42 AM]
06-17-2009 at 08:34 AM
Fang
Gah! I'll replace the door where I first put it. Thanks for notifying me, I never see those wall walking problems. XD

06-17-2009 at 02:15 PM
deftriver
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 75
Nuntar wrote:
I've had a look at this hold, but it is extremely confusing and difficult! I guess I'm meant to defeat this "Key Phantom" to progress (by the way, the character is called "Lock Phantom") but the force arrows prevent me approaching him and he just summons an explosion and kills me. :?

Notice something about the way the explosions approach?
06-17-2009 at 11:41 PM
Fang
Nuntar wrote:
I've had a look at this hold, but it is extremely confusing and difficult! I guess I'm meant to defeat this "Key Phantom" to progress (by the way, the character is called "Lock Phantom") but the force arrows prevent me approaching him and he just summons an explosion and kills me. :?

Thanks for the correction, I first wanted to name it Lock Phantom but then I found it more appropriate to name it to what it holds. I'll change it right away.

As for the boss fight, it's different from the simple hack and slash fights there is out there. I try and make them neat and interesting to understand, most fights will move around stuff you have to evade or a puzzle you must complete to reach them before you hack and slash your way to victory. I call that "the three hours one room" because those kinds of scripting takes a long time to make, at least for me, and I have to test each part, like this Key Phantom who has 4 parts, even though each phase is similar than the last.

If there is some wondering why I use explosions, it's for the visual effect and the damage effect. Unsurprisingly, an explosion will almost always kill you (some special cases make you only lose half your HP) and that's why I find using them good: the player has to think and plan how to move. Especially during that last phase, since they grow progressively harder so to say, adding one more ball of fire with each phase.

06-18-2009 at 01:41 AM
Blondbeard
Or you can just use undo to manage the explosions :P
06-18-2009 at 02:29 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I've been playing the hold from the start again, and it's okay.

I've ended the first level with 6 yellow keys and 1 green key, so level 2 was not very hard (but not too easy). If I didn't take the new sword I can kill the Scribe with 38/70/10 0/3/0. (score=440)

As for the "Key Phantom" room, I think it's fun. But perhaps it's a good idea to tell the player in advance that they should be expecting 4 monsters, and one blue key, like what you did with the Scribe.

06-18-2009 at 09:36 AM
Fang
Updated, by the way. Keep those reviews rolling. :)

06-18-2009 at 10:40 PM
deftriver
Really enjoy it. I like the goblin as the good guy. I'm a bit confused about the "clearing out" directive on the other side, I can get the blue key without clearing out.

Still working on mastering! It's a challenge, but it's great.
06-19-2009 at 03:16 AM
Fang
deftriver wrote:
Really enjoy it. I like the goblin as the good guy. I'm a bit confused about the "clearing out" directive on the other side, I can get the blue key without clearing out.

Still working on mastering! It's a challenge, but it's great.

I just edited the speech so "all" is omitted. ;)

06-19-2009 at 04:31 AM
Blondbeard
Nice :) I have played the goblin scenario, and ended when I got the Bronze Shield. I just got an idea. I could post my player file here, and then you could see for yourself how much progress I have made, and what power ups are left to pick up.

Edit: About playing as a stakwart: The explosions before getting the blue key is too many to be fn for me. Also there's something strange with the scripting, since the tar door closes early sometime, making the room impossible.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 06-19-2009 09:47 AM]
06-19-2009 at 09:05 AM
Fang
Blondbeard wrote:
Edit: About playing as a stakwart: The explosions before getting the blue key is too many to be fn for me. Also there's something strange with the scripting, since the tar door closes early sometime, making the room impossible.

What tar door? The one in the middle of the player's available space?

06-19-2009 at 02:45 PM
Blondbeard
That's the one I'm talking about.
06-19-2009 at 02:59 PM
deftriver
Once the dialogue comes up if you step in the bottom square the door will close, that would be the only way to make it close early. But that's where you are supposed to end up for the fight.
06-19-2009 at 05:00 PM
Fang
Script will be slightly changed in the next version to remove the door altogether.

06-19-2009 at 06:57 PM
Fang
New update. Took a small break and now I'm back. In the levels list from the editor, you'll notice a Slayer Chase. Feel free to try it if you want, but it won't happen so soon as it's something quick I had put together long ago, and the script is still pretty much not awesome.

06-30-2009 at 12:42 AM
deftriver
My laptop died on me, I just got a desktop and now I can play again. You don't know how happy it makes to be able to play this hold again! And it's updated!!! :thumbsup
07-05-2009 at 06:37 AM
Fang
In a few updates, I'm probably gonna put Gurenocalypse in its personal beta subforum, and will post each bug-and-exploit-free releases here. If you want to help beta test it, send me a PM.

That means each version will be fully functional for the parts I'm gonna mention, though the beta hold will always be 1 update in front of the one on here, simply so we can test it.

And it gives all this sense of 'seriousity' of the hold. After all, I haven't attempted something this big before, I think I have from 25 to 30 level entrances right now and I'm not even close to halfway done, and the size of the hold is gigantic, but that's because of the sound files. The last release will be Obsidian Waterway, then I'll need at least two dedicated testers, one for each side, while I'll be jumping from one to the other.

Mind you, each tester won't need to test all day long, between updates it'll take me a while as I'll update one side, then the other, then back and forth, so you might be a little while without much to do. Now what did I want to say? I forgot my train of thought. Oh yeah! If I get multiple testers for each part, that would be very nice; double the bug finding, cut in half the time it takes for each release, or approximately.

In short, send me a PM if you want to join for the beta test later, and specify which side you'd be focusing on. If I only get one tester, I'll have to take one side and him/her the other. Oh, yeah, almost forgot: Those testers must be willing to work and optimise as much as possible for each side while keeping another save for a less optimised run.

Whew. Pretty long post.

07-08-2009 at 10:55 PM
Fang

File: Gurenocalypse.drh (5.6 MB)
Downloaded 32 times.
License: Other
Due to an important error in my computer I nearly lost everything I had done in the past weeks, so I will save this version here in case I ever lose my data. You may download it and fool around with it but a lot is not tested, and a lot isn't finished. It's more like a backup and a semi update, but like I've said, nothing is really tested out, and bugs or exploits may be already seen and been worked upon being fixed.

07-15-2009 at 01:49 AM
minimike98
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 1
It wont work it says file currupted
07-15-2009 at 05:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I'm sorry to hear you've lost your levels, but I understand that once you've made a room once, it's much easier to make it again.
minimike98 wrote:
It wont work it says file currupted
That's okay. It works for me. :yahoo: (you may need a different version)

[Last edited by Tim at 07-15-2009 11:37 AM]
07-15-2009 at 11:36 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
It seems as if you've given up on this hold, which is dissapointing, because it had promise form what I played on the stalwart side. (Or, having read through the thread, you've gone private, in which case, you might want to say that in the top post)

However, why did you choose to essentially merge 2 holds into one? Unless you make it so that they're just different characters playing the same hold (which doesn't seem to be the case, and if anything might only have some of the same layout, in which case, why not use ctrl C?), your just making extra work for yourself. I don't think anybody is going to only play one side.
08-16-2009 at 05:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fang
I've not given up on the hold, it's currently on a beta board but I'm too busy these times to update it much. The next updates will go after college has begun, when oddly enough I had more free time than vacation last year, so this year it should normally be the same.

I've first decided to make the goblin side without a stalwart, but then I told myself 'I really enjoyed the type of game played with Geneforge and Avernum 4' where you could choose good or evil. So I got the idea to divide the story between two parts, equally divided into two more parts as well; first part of stalward you're in the mission to spy on the goblins, the second you go with the now-trained army, and the first part of the goblins you go sabotage the stalwart castle, the second you go directly up the tower. Call it Stalwart 1 and Stalwart 2, Goblin 1 and Goblin 2. What's amazing is, when you go with the goblins, you get to fight Stalwart 1 at the end of the first level. At the end of the first level when you're a stalwart, you get to fight Goblin 1. However the second parts of each don't affect each other.

Too Long; Didn't Read: Basically, the first half of the hold is the same events but different viewpoints while the second one determines what really happens depending on the side you chose.

08-16-2009 at 06:22 PM
minimike98
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 1
oo Ivite me i would like to be a beta tester :cool
08-22-2009 at 12:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Gurenocalypse (Updated 29/06/09)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com