Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Suit Pursuit (Spring 2009 Smitemaster's Selection)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.6/10 (34 votes)
σ 1.78
Author Name:Jason
Submitted By:Jason
Hold Name:Suit Pursuit
Theme:Spring 2009 Smitemaster's Selection
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:12
Number of Rooms:69
Number of Monsters:455
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:12 (+12 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged
icon Suit Pursuit  
Whether you are an experienced DRODer or this is your first hold, I welcome you to one of the two newest Smitemaster’s Selections (SmS), Suit Pursuit.

Who am I? My name is Jason Fedor, known by the forumites by my first name, Jason. I have been playing DROD for almost three years, and have accomplished much in that time. I have enjoyed the official content, and here I am now, with a SmS of my own! I am an avid programmer, and I enjoy Ping-Pong and skiing, as well as frequenting the DROD forums, even though I don’t actually post as much as I did in my first year after finding this game.

Suit Pursuit, designed by myself, is a medium difficulty hold, taking place soon after the previous SmS, “Devilishly Dangerous Dungeons of Doom.” Beethro finds himself back in the Rooted Hub, and he is forced to follow a pathway that leads him past a deep building that extends far down into the darkness of the pit. When I started work on this hold, I hadn’t planned for it to become an SmS. To be honest, this hold was just a set of puzzles that I had intended to incorporate into another hold. However, it has very much changed since then, and it is a work of many different people.

I created the puzzles, and designed most of the hold. (The first level is all thanks to Chaco) The beta testing was done mostly by jbluestein, Stephen4Louise, Syntax, Chaco, and CuriousShyRabbit. The RC testing was mainly accomplished by slimm tom, Tim and CSR. Slimm tom wrote most of the level entrance texts and his help was invaluable near the end of the process. Mike Rimer (mrimer) has been with this hold for a long time as well, coordinating the voice acting, giving tips here and there, and without him, this hold could not be considered an SmS!

The Pit Thing, another gossipy gossiper, a headstrong stalwart and many other characters make an appearance in this Smitemaster’s Selection. The fabulous voice acting in this hold is all thanks to:

The voice actors and actresses:
Beethro Budkin - Snacko
Goblin, Aumtlich - mrimer
The Pit Thing, Stalwart - Abbyzzmal
Checkpoint Guard - Chaco
Gossiper - Elfstone
Rock Giant, Tutorial Voice - Calamarain
Various Guards - Abbyzzmal, Chaco, Someone Else
Various Architects - Abbyzzmal, Chaco

The Scriptwriters:
Chaco: For writing most of the spoken text
mrimer: For writing most of the remaining text
Myself: For writing the remaining text

Thanks to all these people, Suit Pursuit is here for you, and I hope you enjoy it!

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-18-2009 05:05 PM]
04-18-2009 at 05:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: Suit Pursuit (0)  
It says on my SMS downloads that Suit Pursuit is a PHP file. Why is it not a hold file, and what can I do to make it a hold file?

I don't want to pay another nine dollars just so I get Suit Pursuit. The other hold, Complex Complex is a hold file, so why is this one not?

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
04-18-2009 at 05:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1226
icon Re: Suit Pursuit (+1)  
Something went wrong with the promotion process. Matt is going to fix it ASAP, just be patient for now.
04-18-2009 at 05:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
12th Archivist wrote:
I don't want to pay another nine dollars just so I get Suit Pursuit. The other hold, Complex Complex is a hold file, so why is this one not?
Errr... that's most likely a bug that needs to be fixed - you should always be able to download your bought SmSes on your "Profile / Purchases" page.

But yeah, I get a 0-byte PHP file and no "Suit Pursuit" in-game either...

np: Jared Emerson-Johnson - The Big Stinker (Sam & Max Season Two OST (Disc 1))

04-18-2009 at 05:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
Any news on this hold yet? It has been 3-4 days from the release date. It should've been fixed by now :(

04-22-2009 at 04:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
We're a bit short on monkeys at the moment, I apologize for the inconvenience.
04-22-2009 at 04:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Briareos
It's been a week now - any news? Seems to me like the site's Truck Factor is currently dangerously close to one...

np: Jared Emerson-Johnson - What's New, Beelzebub? Cutscene Suite (Sam & Max Season Two OST (Disc 2))

[Last edited by Briareos at 04-25-2009 07:06 PM]
04-25-2009 at 07:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
Secreted because this post is no longer relevant.
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by CuriousShyRabbit at 04-28-2009 03:15 AM]
04-27-2009 at 07:26 AM
robin
Rank Points: 842
I just tried this, and it failed.
I got a 0 MB file and when importing, it says "file corrupted"

04-27-2009 at 08:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Secreted because this post is no longer relevant.

[Last edited by CuriousShyRabbit at 04-28-2009 03:16 AM]
04-27-2009 at 09:08 AM
robin
No problem for me,
I know Schik is doing the best he can.

I have a lot of patience, I know eventually the hold will be there, and then we'll play it :)

And I still have CC (which is very hard for me :weep )

04-27-2009 at 09:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
robin
I just tried it on my parents computer,

and it worked!

I guess that it wouldn't work on my computer because I tried it allready when the download link first appeared.

04-27-2009 at 11:27 AM
slimm tom
Note that the trick only works with IE6 (and possibly IE5), and not with any other browser. (Some more obscure browsers may work, but those aren't tested.)
04-27-2009 at 11:32 AM
Briareos
For the record - I was just able to download all 3.1MB of it off my "Purchases" page.

EDIT: What trick? Firefox 3.0.9 prompted me where to save the members.php file, I told it to save it as "C:\Temp\Suit Pursuit.hold", and hey presto - it just worked.

[Last edited by Briareos at 04-27-2009 12:51 PM]
04-27-2009 at 12:49 PM
slimm tom
Strange. I also use Firefox 3.0.9 and I just get a 0 KB members.php file. (using the standard Firefox download manager)

And the trick is renaming the file to get it to work. It's supposed to be a hold file in the first place, so this is a little trick to get the hold early.
04-27-2009 at 01:01 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
Works for me.
Enjoying it so far - down to level 3

04-27-2009 at 02:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
I'd like to take this opportunity to mention to everyone that's busy playing the hold that I pretty much wrote most of the (sparse) story of the hold, including most of the stuff in the very first level, everything that takes place at the gate checkpoint and some of the puzzle room comments. Mike added most of the canonical stuff, like the scroll in the Hub and Beethro's interactions with previously established personalities.

That said, have fun with this relatively easy hold, which doesn't really appreciably affect the overall DROD story, but mostly just details "a day in Beethro's underground journey". I'll write a proper review of this selection sometime later when more people have completed the hold.

04-27-2009 at 08:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Suit Pursuit (+8)  
This hold is fixed. It should download normally from your purchases page or from in-game, and the highscores seem to be working.

04-28-2009 at 02:17 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Thanks a whole lot, Schik! :)
04-28-2009 at 03:14 AM
robin
Yeah, Schik!!!

EDIT: I forgot to tell

[Last edited by robin at 04-28-2009 11:03 AM]
04-28-2009 at 09:18 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
A realy good, easy hold! Overall I like the lynchpin rooms a lot more than the "kill the monsters" rooms. Luckely for me most of the rooms contained some kind of trick ;)

04-28-2009 at 01:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Suit Pursuit: Entryway: Entrance Text: Hopefully the the sought after...

04-29-2009 at 05:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
zex20913 wrote:
Suit Pursuit: Entryway: Entrance Text: Hopefully the the sought after...

Game on,

04-29-2009 at 10:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
robin
Mastered!!! (only the 2 bonus puzzles to do)

It's a lovely hold. I enjoyed playing it.

Not to easy and not to difficult, just perfect!!!

Keep up the good work!!

04-30-2009 at 12:26 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Mastered and post-mastered. I think the hold was indeed medium difficulty, though there were some tricks I hadn't seen before. Some of the aumtlich rooms were quite well done.

If this hold was released simply on the holds board, I think I would have rated it better. The hold is mildly linear--if you get stuck on a room, you only have a maximum of 4 other rooms to attempt at any time. This is not too big a deal, except that sometimes it is quite difficult to see what exactly you must do to continue (the stalwart rooms come to mind here.)

As for the story, I was left wanting...more. Very little seems to happen here, either in characterization or plot advancement. Nearly no new information was revealed, and because of this, it felt less rewarding than some other SmS.

Of course, it is an SmS that I've beaten. I'm still stuck on a few of them, but I'm spiraling around.

4.5 brains, 6 overall.

04-30-2009 at 02:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
What a very excellent hold! Definitely a hark back to the days of good old puzzle solving DROD - and with lots of variety. I'm also rarely interested by the story-telling but I found this one very fun. Voice acting was great too.

Cheers!
05-01-2009 at 05:57 PM
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
I've just completed this (not mastered yet), with a little help here and there from H&S.

My thoughts on the hold:

Puzzles - generally good. Jason has the knack of making fun mid-range difficulty puzzles that work. There were a few ones that I disliked (the ones primarily requiring horde management in a very specific time period). There is also one thing I would have done very differently though

Appearance - Also good, minimalistic but still elegant. It looks like an Empire construction

Voice acting - As always, Snacko makes a worthy successor to Beethro, and the other stuff wasn't bad either

Story - Now here... simply that not much happened. There's voice acting yes, but the story doesn't progress much if at all.

Overall, 8 for fun, 6 brains.

05-01-2009 at 09:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
fratropea
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87
Mastered!:lol
But I have not completed the extra puzzles yet...
Excellent hold not too much difficulty, but not too much easy.
The rooms with the Slayer are very pleasant,
but they are few...
Good job! :thumbsup

I give 6 brains and 9 for fun!

[Last edited by fratropea at 05-02-2009 11:02 AM]
05-02-2009 at 10:56 AM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
[This is one of a set of hold reviews I'm writing. For more information, on scoring etc, see here]

General Description

A very enjoyable official, canon-based hold, involving a variety of easy-medium difficulty, frequently lynchpin-style puzzles, without any particular theme.

Good Points

Numerous clever lynchpin rooms, and no rooms that are particularly tedious or laborious. I cannot think of many rooms that really frustrated or bored me, and I only needed a couple of visits to the Hints and Solutions board. It's great to have a new hold with a canon storyline with voice acting.

Bad Points

I'm not really a fan of puzzles that use scripted characters when a non-scripted alternative is possible, and this happens a couple of times. As mentioned elsewhere, the storyline does not do much to advance the tale of Beethro Budkin and not much use is made of the “suit” in question. There are a couple of mildly irritating aumtlich manipulation puzzles.

Special features

Voice acting, some slayer player role puzzles.

Creativity: 8/10
Lynchpins: 8/10
Story: 5/10
Hack and Slash: 2/10
Efficiency: 2.5/10
Snake charming: 1/10
Tar-osity: 1/10
Overall: 9/10
Difficulty: 4.5/10

[Last edited by Jacob at 05-03-2009 03:25 AM]
05-02-2009 at 07:44 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
so I'm happily smiting along and being pleased with the Al Dente SmS

then I get to level 3 and wham, advanced snake manipulation

wtf guys, you were doing so well

also: Pit Thing sounds different for some reason.

06-29-2009 at 12:13 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Suit Pursuit (Spring 2009 Smitemaster's Selection)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com