Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Show true initial NPC appearance in editor (running turn 0 commands when you press Alt)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
IP: Logged
icon Show true initial NPC appearance in editor (0)  
I know mrimer gave a thumbs down to a similar suggestion here, but...

At the risk of sounding totally naïve, can't the editor simulate a Turn 0 when you press Alt, running the code up to that point and ignoring certain commands (such as Speech, Cutscene, Game effect, etc.)?

04-17-2009 at 10:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Show true initial NPC appearance in editor (0)  
Kwakstur wrote:
I know mrimer gave a thumbs down to a similar suggestion here, but...

At the risk of sounding totally naïve, can't the editor simulate a Turn 0 when you press Alt, running the code up to that point and ignoring certain commands (such as Speech, Cutscene, Game effect, etc.)?
But what if the room's scripts rely on Tendry's stats or global scripts? How would you simulate that accurately?

In which case, if you are simulating the actual appearance of the character on a room entry or some other turn 0 condition, isn't playtesting the room going to be sufficient?

04-18-2009 at 07:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
icon Re: Show true initial NPC appearance in editor (0)  
agaricus5 wrote:
In which case, if you are simulating the actual appearance of the character on a room entry or some other turn 0 condition, isn't playtesting the room going to be sufficient?
Not quite. That's kind of annoying to have to do just to be able to tell apart similar NPCs when editing. I was just thinking that the game already had similar code that could easily be adapted for this purpose.

But I'm feeling pretty stupid right now. Now that I think about it, of course this wouldn't work. After all, there's a pretty vast difference between the running engine of the game and that of the editor. For many reasons (including those you mentioned), the editor can't just run a script. At the very least, it would have to initialize the game, and then it would be just like playtesting.

I feel like such an idiot.

But here's why it didn't occur to me: This was originally going to be a suggestion for adding such functionality to revealed rooms on the minimap. I remembered mrimer rejected the idea, but couldn't remember why. When I finally found that topic, I changed this to be for previews in the editor, but you know what? In my mind, I was still thinking about the minimap.

Just forget I brought this suggestion up.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 04-18-2009 09:11 PM]
04-18-2009 at 09:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Show true initial NPC appearance in editor (running turn 0 commands when you press Alt)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com