Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Don't Over-Crack Your Neck
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
IP: Logged
icon Don't Over-Crack Your Neck (0)  
Have you ever cracked your neck? You know, when you twist your neck to the left then to the right and you get that cracking or popping sound?

Don't over-do that. I did just a few minutes ago. What I believe it does (I'm no doctor) is it pulls your neck muscle somewhat, making it very difficult to move your neck, and unfortunately, most of your body. Since I'm no doctor, I may also possibly sprained my neck. It's worse than before, but I can get over it.

Worse case scenario, I can't talk about it. The mental image of it is far too disturbing, and makes me run to the toilet, ready to remove last nights contents.

It's been about 30 minutes, and although my neck still hurts bad, I can move and rotate it just a tiny bit. Which scenario do you think I should be placed in? No matter what the worst case one is, I'll be headed off to the hospital.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 04-12-2009 02:27 PM]
04-12-2009 at 02:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
icon Re: Don't Over-Crack Your Neck (0)  
I have no idea what you're alluding to.

You've probably pulled a muscle in your neck (there is no one specific "neck muscle") - which has caused the pain.

I can't think what else you're worried has happened - you've not injured your own spine, neck (cervical) vertebrae or the vessels in your neck as (a) that's very unlikely, if not impossible and (b) you had the ability to go to a computer after doing it and type in what happened and (c) you don't describe any other symptoms other than neck pain.

So I'm not too sure what you're worried about, but you're almost certainly fine.

Am I to understand you've gone to hospital with this?
Let us know what they say.

04-12-2009 at 07:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Jacob wrote:
I have no idea what you're alluding to.

You've probably pulled a muscle in your neck (there is no one specific "neck muscle") - which has caused the pain.
Is it not possible that the "crack" refers to one of the joints in the neck being put under some kind of stress by the twisting? I don't know much about joints, but I can't imagine that a pulled muscle would make an audible crack. Saying that, though, I agree that it's quite likely a muscle or a ligament may have been pulled.

(c) you don't describe any other symptoms other than neck pain.
It also sounds like 12th Archivist had some trouble moving as well. However, that could be a consequence of having pulled a neck muscle; any movement causing neck displacement would probably hurt a lot.

04-12-2009 at 08:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Yes, good point - I wasn't particularly clear with what I said.

The crack sound is (most likely) coming from the joints - like when you crack your knuckles.

The pain is probably from pulling a muscle - joint, bone, vessel, spinal cord etc etc damage being much less probable.

As for not being able to move - I had assumed he wasn't moving because his neck hurt, rather than some kind of paralysis!

04-12-2009 at 10:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
Since I typed up this post by myself after the incident, I was not paralyzed. ;)

I mean moving my neck hurt really fracking badly. Any movement at all, including outside movement (such as vibrations) made it burn bad. While hurting a neck muscles may not seem bad, it's worse than you think! Trying to get up from a laying-down position with a pulled muscle in the neck is incredibly difficult, as it's somewhat painful. When I mean somewhat, I mean excruciating. Even laying on my side was impossible. I had to stare at the ceiling for a good thirty minutes until some of the pain receded. To get myself into a sitting position, I had to pinch on my leg as hard as I could to take away from the pain in my neck. That sucks.

After taking some medicine, the pain receded father. I decided that no trip to the hospital was necessary. The only reason why I would go to the hospital in the first place would be if I had cracked my neck bones, or destroyed some ligament. Earlier, that would have had me leaping for the toilet, but now, I can think about. Not that I want to think of it, because that's pretty messed up.

Still, you should not crack your neck bones repeatedly. Let that be a lesson for you.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
04-12-2009 at 10:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Cracking your neck like the chiropractors do is also dangerous, as you risk rupturing an artery.
04-13-2009 at 01:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Nuntar wrote:
While we're on the subject of medical matters, another thing it's not a good idea to do is spill boiling water all down your front. I did that today (accidentally of course) and it's taken until now, about six hours later, for the pain to die down, though it's still a little tender if I touch it.
Ooofff; that doesn't sound fun. I hope you get better soon.

I once scorched myself with a very hot saucepan after I was a little clumsy with it. Although it didn't blister, the resulting scar took seven months to clear.

04-13-2009 at 02:12 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
I also hope you get better soon, Nuntar.

A couple of months ago I cut my fingers opening a can of cat food. I was going about it at different ways and I handled sharp strands of the top still attached to the can, something I shouldn't have done.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by NoahT at 04-13-2009 05:07 AM]
04-13-2009 at 04:03 AM
cheese obsessive
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 219
I get it, ITT stupid ways you hurt yourself.

I managed to stub the same big toe 3 times on the same synth stand in one week. A few nights later, I was sleeping and I was woken up by excruciating pain coming from the bottom of my foot. I noticed the tendon between my big toe and heel was twitching uncontrollably and it felt like it was being pulled out of my foot. I couldn't figure out what was causing the pain, but it was one of the worst things I have ever felt in my life so I desperately tried moving the toe around to get it to go away. Eventually I found if I pulled on my big toe towards my chest the tendon stopped twitching and my foot stopped hurting. Nowadays on occasion if I dangle my feet off of a bed or do something that lets gravity pull on my feet, that tendon starts twitching and it starts hurting again. Not really a big deal since I can fix it, but it's really really annoying and painful and I don't know why my foot does that.
04-13-2009 at 04:44 AM
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
Last December I'd landed in the emergency room due to back spasms after I'd attempted to use my seven-year-old daughter's bicycle as a kind of makeshift scooter.
:look
04-13-2009 at 07:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Architest
Rank Points: 254
Well,I throw'd my sister with a wrench when I was younger. And I crack my hands all the time. It just feels so good anīd it makes those "crack" and "niks" sounds. :) Don't do it. ;)
04-13-2009 at 09:51 AM
NiroZ
To the best of my knowledge, there's nothing particularly bad about cracking your fingers/limbs. To the best of scientific knowledge, your just releasing carbon dioxide from your ?synovial? fluid.
04-13-2009 at 10:06 AM
agaricus5
NiroZ wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, there's nothing particularly bad about cracking your fingers/limbs.
That one is debatable. A quick search on PubMed brings up a few articles relating to "knuckle cracking". Some studies have found no correlation between knuckle-cracking and joint degeneration. For example, this one finds no correlation in 2 population samples (mean ages were 11 and 78.5 years) and this recent communication suggests the author cracked one hand and not the other regularly for 50 years, with no effect. However, you should note that the first study is both small (2 sets of 28) and not necessarily a representative section of the population, while the second is (as noted in the reply to the letter by Swezey) not a very statistically powerful study.

In contrast, this study finds that while knuckle-cracking is not corelated with arthritis, it apparently is correlated with a number of factors that indicate reduced hand strength. Saying that, though, the data is likely confounded by other factors (e.g. manual labour) which may also have some impact on hand strength.

So I'm not sure anyone really knows.

To the best of scientific knowledge, your just releasing carbon dioxide from your ?synovial? fluid.
In a nutshell, yes; this is one of the current popular theories (athough nitrogen in the synoval fluid is probably the culprit). In this case, the actual click phenomenon is something to do with cavitation, where you cause a bubble to form and then collapse rapidly due to changes in pressure. The shockwave then causes the audible click.

For the mechanical engineers among us, this is quite a detailed (theoretical) study on the proposed mechanics behind the phenomenon.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 04-13-2009 12:10 PM]
04-13-2009 at 12:09 PM
NiroZ
But the thing is, even if it has an effect, it's fairly minimal.
04-13-2009 at 12:17 PM
agaricus5
NiroZ wrote:
Common experience appears to say so (I don't crack my joints, but some people I know do so without apparent damage), but I'm not sure that's strong enough to stand up on its own. I don't think you can say for sure "the effect is fairly minimal" without more reliable evidence than one's (or even a group of people's) opinion.

04-13-2009 at 12:22 PM
NiroZ
Well, what has been the worst effects found by the research? My understand of that is that it wasn't too bad anyway.

And I'm pretty confident in saying that it doesn't have obviously bad effects. IE, your fingers don't break off.
04-13-2009 at 01:15 PM
agaricus5
NiroZ wrote:
Well, what has been the worst effects found by the research? My understand of that is that it wasn't too bad anyway.
Well, yes. but what I'm trying to say is that there isn't enough data to support either hypothesis. You can't immediately conclude anything about the effects of knuckle-clicking based only on such small groups of people, especially as the data itself is somewhat questionable in statistical rigour. Yes, the effects discussed appear not to be severe, but then again, what if problems do occur, but only rarely, and the studies didn't pick them up?

And I'm pretty confident in saying that it doesn't have obviously bad effects. IE, your fingers don't break off.
I'm not saying that knuckle-cracking will necessarily have bad effects, but just because some people don't have problems doesn't mean that no-one will. Penicillin is considered one of the safest antibiotics in terms of side effects for most people, yet a few individuals are seriously allergic to it.

04-13-2009 at 05:14 PM
NiroZ
True, but unless we want to develop OCD or an anxiety disorder, it's best to assume that we are like the majority.
04-13-2009 at 05:21 PM
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
NiroZ wrote:
As somebody who has thrown out his neck and overcracked his knuckles (which actually resulted in an injury to my wrist rather than my knuckles), I can say the effect is far from minimal.

I'm always hurting myself in one way or another because of OCD. For those who don't know what it's like, it's comparable to breathing. Rest assured, no matter what happens, you will remember to breathe. You can breathe barely giving any thought to it. You can consciously control your breathing, but doing so makes it a lot harder to focus. Just replace "breathing" with some unusual thing like "picking" or "eye rolling" (don't ask) in the above sentences, make the distinction that breathing "is a necessary function to life" while a compulsion is just "satisfying to do," and BAM! That's OCD.

Take the Archivist's advice. You don't ever want to start cracking any part of your body. Both of my bone-cracking compulsions ended the same way: One day I would hear a distinct and unusual sound and it would feel like I got pricked with a needle. I would feel fine for the remainder of the day (well, other than the terror I was in about my wrist since I recognized that pinching sensation from the neck incident)...
But then I would wake up in the middle of the night.

The pain is excruciating. It completely dominates your thoughts. And it isn't just your wrist or neck. For the wrist, it's the entire hand and some of the arm. For the neck, it's both shoulders and your upper back. What 12th Archivist said about the pain "receding" with pain relievers and time is a good description. Pain relievers will make the pain recede back to the injured area (and increase range of motion), but the center of pain will continue to hurt for a long time.
Something that surprised me: Several years ago, before I experienced this myself, my mom threw out her back. The one thing that worried me when I saw mom like that was that if I ever were to be like that, I might accidentally forget about the pain for a second and do something to make it worse. Like bending over to pick something up. Believe me, you won't. Within 10 minutes of waking up, you are so terrified of moving your muscles that your mind locks out any thought of the kind. It's strange... unless you were forced to think about it (like if somebody asked you if you can reach an object), the thought of moving outside your range of motion for any purpose whatsoever won't enter your mind.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 04-14-2009 10:32 PM]
04-14-2009 at 10:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
You can do anything to excess. That doesn't mean that it's bad to do that thing.

Surprisingly, I'm imagine my back would be completely buggered up if it wasn't for the fact that I cracked it. Slight scoliosis.
04-15-2009 at 01:56 AM
zwetschenwasser
Rank Points: 200
Too much broccoli makes you fat... :D

04-16-2009 at 01:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Celery, on the other hand...

Edit: Oh, and at the end, he lists broccoli as such a food as well. :P

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 04-16-2009 02:51 AM]
04-16-2009 at 02:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Don't Over-Crack Your Neck
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com