Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : MS Antispyware 2009 Got Removed! (YAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
IP: Logged
icon MS Antispyware 2009 Got Removed! (0)  
I recently managed to acquire the... rather unpleasant virus known as MS Antispyware 2009. For those of you who do not know what it is, click here.

Do not worry, as I managed to remove the problem without much trouble. This is because I have a nifty program called Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Although you can purchase the full program (I already have an antivirus system, so why bother), it will remove the problem for free.

Before you accuse me of trying to con you into getting another virus, I will tell I'm not. That's because I'm not trying to con you into getting another virus. If you go to a false Malwarebytes website and download an actual virus, that's your problem.

Other true antispyware programs may not find this virus since it hides itself as a Windows object - something that the antivirus may ignore.

Before I leave you to your DRODDING, I trust that you will not download... certain unusual things from the internet. If you do, there is a chance that you will adopt MS Antivirus 2009 or similar evil virus. Oddly enough though, you take a chance in almost everything, from eating the last doughnut, from stepping into the street, to holding your national flag high or even taking your next breath. There's that sort of danger all around us, so you should do the next best thing and buy yourself a lucky charm.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
04-05-2009 at 01:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
icon Re: MS Antispyware 2009 Got Removed! (0)  
I've had to remove Spyware 2009 on my dad's laptop and AntiVirus 2009 on my aunt's computer. I can confirm that MalwareBytes is the most efficient program to use to rid of these, and it might help you find other unwanted stuff on your computer as well.

04-05-2009 at 01:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
> people who still get viruses and spyware

Oh christ.
04-05-2009 at 07:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1226
Heh.

I still can't believe I run my 2 PCs without any antivirus software, and haven't got any virus in over 3 years, while I download excessively.
04-05-2009 at 08:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
And how do you know you don't have a virus if you don't have anything to detect it? These days, regular computer-crashing viruses are rare compared to those that run silently as a means to steal your identity.

And then there's worms. The funny thing about worms is that, without protection, you can pick a few up just by being connected to the internet; they spread through a network like wildfire. And you can get a dozen more just by surfing; an automatic invisible download can be initiated the moment you visit a page.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 04-05-2009 06:25 PM]
04-05-2009 at 06:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
slimm tom
There's no such thing as an 'automatic invisible download' in a sufficiently secured Firefox. :) Trust me, I'm an expert.

And how I know I haven't got any viruses? Once each half year or so I install several programs to check my computer once, and then I delete them again. Never got anything.

And if anyone's curious why I don't have virus protection, it is the fact such software slows down my PC, and I do not want any slow-down.
04-05-2009 at 06:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Kwakstur
slimm tom wrote:
And if anyone's curious why I don't have virus protection, it is the fact such software slows down my PC, and I do not want any slow-down.
Amen. I always turn off all active protection and all scheduler processes, and just update and run them manually once a week. Otherwise, CPU usage constantly switches between 90% avgcsrvx.exe and SBAMSvc.exe; this ancient computer has 384MB RAM.

But there are such things as drive-by downloads. I turn active protection on on everything before checking any suspicious website (I like to do some investigation for Google spam reports, so I will do this occasionally). Usually it's some trap or a phony offer that I can easily dodge, but several times there was actually an automatic download that McAfee had to block.
I guess there are ways to secure a browser against them, but they do exist.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 04-05-2009 06:55 PM]
04-05-2009 at 06:45 PM
slimm tom
Kwakstur wrote:
]Amen. I always turn off all active protection and all scheduler processes, and just update and run them manually once a week. Otherwise, CPU usage constantly switches between 90% avgcsrvx.exe and SBAMSvc.exe; this ancient computer has 384MB RAM.
Heh, I got 4 GB on the desktop, and 2 on the lappy. :) Antivirus still seems to eat speed though, for whatever reason.
04-05-2009 at 07:11 PM
Kwakstur
Wow, a computer with the most RAM a 32-bit system can possibly utilize still cowers in fear of Anti-Virus.

what is this I dont even

04-05-2009 at 07:39 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
icon Re: MS Antispyware 2009 Got Removed! (+1)  
Kwakstur wrote:
what is this I dont even
Nope, doesn't work when you do it. Sorry.

04-05-2009 at 09:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
slimm tom wrote:
There's no such thing as an 'automatic invisible download' in a sufficiently secured Firefox. :) Trust me, I'm an expert.

Could you maybe share what one has to do besides installing Firefox?
04-05-2009 at 10:41 PM
BeefontheBone
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 184
In fairness, that's not a bad start on its own :)

04-05-2009 at 11:20 PM
slimm tom
BeefontheBone wrote:
In fairness, that's not a bad start on its own :)
Very true :)

I would recommend setting the security level to the level below the highest level. (lol) The highest level is so secure it's annoying to work with.

Also, be sure to turn the Phishing filter on, the ActiveX filter (should be on automatically if you set FF to the level I mentioned), and set downloads to require confirmation before starting.

You should be well set with just the settings above. :) Firefox is a gem of security, as opposed to IE.

Please disregard the advice above, Briareos proved me wrong below :)

[Last edited by slimm tom at 04-06-2009 12:45 PM]
04-06-2009 at 09:15 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
slimm tom wrote:
Also, be sure to turn the Phishing filter on, the ActiveX filter (should be on automatically if you set FF to the level I mentioned), and set downloads to require confirmation before starting.
Wait, what? :|

Firefox doesn't have any "security levels" to set, and it doesn't support ActiveX no matter what.

Are you sure you're not confusing Internet Explorer with Firefox here?

You should be well set with just the settings above. :) Firefox is a gem of security, as opposed to IE.
At least install the NoScript extension for Firefox, which will prevent JavaScript and plugins from running except on pages you temporarily or permanently allow it on.

04-06-2009 at 09:44 AM
slimm tom
Briareos wrote:
Firefox doesn't have any "security levels" to set, and it doesn't support ActiveX no matter what.

Are you sure you're not confusing Internet Explorer with Firefox here?

Whoops, I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that. :blush I didn't have access to FF at that moment and I thought I remembered setting the security level when I first installed it 2 years ago.

And I must have somehow mixed up ActiveX with JS, for whatever reason. -_-

At least install the NoScript extension for Firefox, which will prevent JavaScript and plugins from running except on pages you temporarily or permanently allow it on.

I think I have that one set up over here, yes. My FF has a bunch of addons by the way.
04-06-2009 at 12:43 PM
Banjooie
Dischorran wrote:
Kwakstur wrote:
what is this I dont even

on the contrary, it was a fine use of the phrase.
04-07-2009 at 10:23 PM
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
I don't secure my web browser... I just don't do anything stupid and have something like Clamwin running regularly.

That is, when I use Windows.

With Linux I just let the Debian installed-by-default ClamAV do it's thing and I never have to worry.

Edit: Also:

Banjooie wrote:
Dischorran wrote:
Kwakstur wrote:
what is this I dont even

on the contrary, it was a fine use of the phrase.

Banjooie, complimenting somebody using his phrase?

what is this I dont even...

[Last edited by Sillyman at 04-08-2009 12:42 AM]
04-08-2009 at 12:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
It's not "his phrase" just because he uses it. It's not like he owns it, and even if he'd invented it he'd be hard-pressed to actually trademark it.

04-08-2009 at 12:56 AM
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
It may not even be, in the most technical of senses, a phrase.
04-08-2009 at 08:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
The Encyclopedia Dramatica says it started with SomethingAwful, so.

I just picked it up somewhere.
04-09-2009 at 07:17 AM
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
Banjooie wrote:
The Encyclopedia Dramatica says it started with SomethingAwful, so.

Ah, yes. Most memes annoying actually sometimes funny, but only if you're creative with how you use them, like any inside joke or running gag catchphrases start there. I should have known.

04-09-2009 at 08:14 AM
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
slimm tom wrote:

And how I know I haven't got any viruses? Once each half year or so I install several programs to check my computer once, and then I delete them again. Never got anything.

Slowdown is one thing, but in my case antivirus software is interfering with my work ! In my workplace, all windows computers have anti-virus software installed. One task I'm doing involves sending 40-something slightly different emails to different people (attachments differ). I'm using a lot of Python scripts, and I've figured out how to connect to SMTP servers and send mail. Unfortunately, McAfee is known to block anything out of ordinary, including my script for sending mail. No, I'm not a 'telemarketer' or spammer, I merely send monthly summaries to people so they can review information about them I put into database later.

Being smug and self-confident is not the best way to stay secure. Security is a process, not a product or a piece of software. For this reason I install any security updates as soon as they're available, and I use Debian GNU/Linux machine at home. I don't think it frees me from the good habit of brushing teeth. In Linux world, potential security holes are brought into light and promptly fixed, instead of hoping no one finds out. That's the case with a recent udev vulnerability. It took them about 2 days to prepare a fix and my system is already updated.

Consider this:
"ZDNet has a story (and several related articles) about how Symantec has discovered evidence of an all-Mac based botnet that is actively involved in a DOS attack. Apparently, security on the exploited Macs (call them iBots?) was compromised when unwary users bit-torrented pirated copies of iWork 09 and Photoshop CS4 that contained malware. From the article: 'They describe this as the "first real attempt to create a Mac botnet" and notes that the zombie Macs are already being used for nefarious purposes.'"

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=3157

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
04-19-2009 at 09:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
With the intention of side-stepping the MS vs *nix debate, I'd like to add that my prefered method so as to not get infected with viruses and malware, is to turn the computer off.
05-16-2009 at 03:21 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : MS Antispyware 2009 Got Removed! (YAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com