Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Chip's Challenge (Have you played Chip's Challenge?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Have you played Chip's Challenge?
Yes PollPollPoll 17 89.47%
Heard of it, but didn't play PollPollPoll 1 5.26%
What is that??? PollPollPoll 1 5.26%
Total Votes 19 100%
Poster Message
doink~
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
IP: Logged
icon Chip's Challenge (0)  
I'm interested to know how much people have played this "classic" puzzler. IMO, Chip's Challenge is the second best puzzle game of all time... (ofcourse, DROD is THE best, but anyway

Chip's Challenge is a puzzle game where you play a character named Chip who ventured into a magical playhouse - he must come out of 149 levels of devilish puzzles to get through. However,he couldn't kill monsters on his own, so he has to use obstacles to his advantage. (That is precisely why I like DROD better.)

Anyway, I don't want to advertise the game here; instead, I'm just curious at how many people liked CC.

[Edited by doink~ on 04-23-2004 at 03:44 AM GMT]

04-23-2004 at 04:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Scott
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 578
icon Re: Chip's Challenge (0)  
I played the Microsoft pack version of it all the way through. I have heard there are other ports of this with different levels but never looked for them.
04-23-2004 at 06:11 AM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Chip's Challenge (+1)  
I played the game through three times, which is saying a lot for me since I pretty much never repeat-play a game, let alone get to the end of it. I think it might be my favorite game of all. Yeah, probably is. (DROD can't even be rated in the same way for me. It is not just a game I play; literally, it is a way of life.)

Here is a good free version of CC for Linux or Windows by Brian Raiter that is actually better than the one included with Microsoft's WEP: http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/software/tworld/

There are quite a few user-made levels around, although I've yet to find any that were as good as the ones included in the original version of Chip's. I think a problem is that the users have a hard time coming up with lynchpin puzzles, especially after a lot of them were used up by the original levels, so they tend to come up with levels that are difficult in unenjoyable ways. Still, there are good levels to be found. At the URL above get the download that includes "CCLP2"--this is a compilation of levels that were voted the best by Chip's users.

-Erik

04-23-2004 at 03:55 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Thanks for the link! I remember playing this before (both Chip and CCLP2).
ErikH2000 wrote:
At the URL above get the download that includes "CCLP2"--this is a compilation of levels that were voted the best by Chip's users.
Actually, get both, as the files with CCLP2 is an old version of tile world. Just copy CCLP2.dat in the data directory from the old version to the new version. Also, for the Linux version, you have to download the Windows zip with CCLP2 as well, as CCLP2 isn't included in the with-CCLP2 Linux download for some reason.

- Gerry
04-23-2004 at 04:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
I personally don't understand what all the hubbub about Chip's Challenge is for. Maybe I didn't get far enough into it, but I played it after I played DROD, and not being able to see all of the level at once was something I didn't like, particularly for a game like that. I didn't like the timer aspect, I didn't like the incessant mazes, and I didn't like the unpredictable nature of enemy movement. The last level I got to was one with a billion of those fake walls where you have to walk into them to see if they're a real wall or not. I don't think that's a puzzle. I think that's an exercise in guess and check. I go ttired of it then and there. I think it was around level 50 or something.

Could someone explain to me what's so appealing about it?

04-23-2004 at 07:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Robobob, Are you playing the original of CCLP2? In my opinion, the CCLP2 levels have gone over to the dark side of level design and don't exercise enough restraint. The original levels show more care in being fun for and fair to the player.

If you are playing the original levels, then I'm sorry, it just must not be your kind of game.

-Erik

04-23-2004 at 08:29 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
I think it's kind of a historical thing. Before DROD, CC was awesome. I remember going back and checking out CC a year ago or so, after we discussed it (probably in my "other good puzzle games" thread), and it just wasn't as fun...DROD blew it out of the water. At least, that's how I see it.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-23-2004 at 08:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Oneiromancer wrote:
I think it's kind of a historical thing. Before DROD, CC was awesome. I remember going back and checking out CC a year ago or so, after we discussed it (probably in my "other good puzzle games" thread), and it just wasn't as fun...DROD blew it out of the water. At least, that's how I see it.
Well, they are different types of games. You can play DROD while you're eating. No twitchy business to get through like you have with Chip's. If you like the arcade/puzzle mix, then Chip's is good. If you really only like pure puzzle, then stay away from Chip's. If I had more time I would make a new compilation of Chip's levels that are only puzzle-solving, without any reflex tests. I was really looking for something like that when I started playing again with Tileworld. I downloaded maybe 20 or so user-made level collections, and the quality tended to be bad and focused too much on arcade play.

Then there's the need for some new game elements after so much time had passed. Chuck Sommerville (original author) was going to make a CC2, but nope, it got scrapped. I actually wrote a CC-like game (Not a clone. Many differences and new features.) for Webfoot last year of my own design that I would love to release or even just talk about. But right now it is in a box next to the Ark of the Covenant in that big warehouse. And I'm under NDA, so I've probably already said too much.

-Erik

04-23-2004 at 08:47 PM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Darn lousy Limbo...

I swear that bureaucracy is the cause of entropy. All that work and the result is a box sitting in a warehouse.

It's a conspiracy, I tell you. I know Occam's razor states otherwise, but it's either that or a large portion of the human race is a bunch of ninnies.

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
04-24-2004 at 01:39 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I've played it, and I quite like it, except for the teeth monsters. I hate them with a passion, and I think they scarred my little 7 year old brain.

Of course, DROD doesn't have you running from monsters without good reason, so it's better.

Matt

04-24-2004 at 11:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
Yes, I used to really like Chip's Challenge. Then I played DROD, and... well. Superior in every way. Not being able to see the whole map is particularly annoying, especially when a pink ping-pong ball comes up from nowhere and kills you before you have a chance to move.

04-24-2004 at 07:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
I have a feeling I would really like Tile World, as I enjoyed the original, but the sounds don't work for me. They're scratchy, filled with random static, and echoed back to me half a second after playing.

Must be the cheesy AC '97 audio chip. :fun

05-23-2004 at 01:15 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Chip's Challenge (Have you played Chip's Challenge?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com