Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : High avg points (While we're bringing up old FRs...)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
IP: Logged
icon High avg points (0)  
I think I recall a request a while ago about sorting the high scores lists--when we sort by average points, there are 4 players who have solved one room, receiving a 1st place tie. And that's it. Two others have fewer than 10 rooms solved (though one of them does have a 1st.)

When sorting by average rank, there are 8 people with fewer than 10 rooms solved (5 with only 1.) I still would like a "minimum roomcount" for people to get to the top of that list. That would give a better view of the high scorers.

03-23-2009 at 10:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5413
icon Re: High avg points (0)  
That would be great, but oddly it's harder than you would expect.

I'll keep it in mind though, maybe an elegant solution will come to mind some day.

03-23-2009 at 11:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
Could you explain this sorting by average points thing? Your explanation isn't very clear and want to try to come up with an "elegant" implementation.

03-24-2009 at 06:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
1. Go to the High Scores tab under the Caravel banner.

2. Click on the "Players" tab.

3. Click on "Average Points" or "Average Rank" to resort the information by that column.

Resorting of pretty much every column in that section is doable.

03-24-2009 at 12:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
If it's too difficult to have people with few highscores not showing up on the main database, might a possible compromise be for individual users to be able to ignore these players on the highscore tables? For example, you could put a check-box to the left of each name; if you select it, it then hides that person's scores from showing up.

Does this sound like a reasonable idea?

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 03-24-2009 12:54 PM]
03-24-2009 at 12:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eb0ny
All you need is one WHERE clause away. If you are not using SQL in the back, the solution still comprises one IF statement and three lines of code. What hurdles are there, exactly? Or am I missing something?

[Last edited by eb0ny at 03-24-2009 04:34 PM]
03-24-2009 at 04:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
eb0ny wrote:
All you need is one WHERE clause away. If you are not using SQL in the back, the solution still comprises one IF statement and three lines of code. What hurdles are there, exactly? Or am I missing something?
I remember Schik mentioning in the past that the global highscore table was the most expensive (hence no longer the default when you click "High Scores").

I can only presume this means the table is generated from aggregate functions such as sum() group by user etc. A where statement doesn't apply to aggregate functions.

A "having" clause would allow a statement to select specific groupings though but I'm sure Schik has looked into this and that it's not viable for the current setup. Otherwise, a "having count(*) > 9" clause would solve the issue and ignore players with less than 10 demos, for example.
03-25-2009 at 10:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eb0ny
Makes sense, then. I was going to suggest to use a table, which contains all the required sums so they are not recalculated each time the high-score table is requested and are updated when new demos are submitted. But then it becomes somewhat problematic to keep track of #1 scores...

Well, if it was an easy addition, it would've been already implemented, right? Only Schik knows how the backend is set-up, so in this case he knows best.

EDIT: It just came to me. If data is fetched for every player when the table is generated, why not exclude the entries which do not match some condition AFTER they are all fetched, instead of checking the condition DURING calculations? This might be doable.

[Last edited by eb0ny at 03-26-2009 03:09 PM]
03-26-2009 at 03:04 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : High avg points (While we're bringing up old FRs...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com