Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Video Editors, And Stunningly Basic Questions (Or, ITT Banj makes srs thread)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
IP: Logged
icon Video Editors, And Stunningly Basic Questions (+1)  
I'm working on some terrible, evil, horrible projects that will rend your very soul.

This involves editing uncompressed AVIs.

I don't really care which program I have to use, I have ways and means and the like, I just need something that will, QUICKLY AND EFFECTIVELY read I do not want to have to learn XML and I need it to not inexplicably anti-alias and look crappy yes I am looking at YOU trial version of adobe premier.

I just need it to be able to overlay a picture, of my choice, at a certain scale, over the video, for a certain period of time. I need to be able to do this multiple times with different pictures.

This is apparently the most ungodly difficult thing on earth for a video editing program to do, as opposed to 'make the entire screen wobbly like water for the entire video' which takes like 3 seconds to render apparently.

So! Either give me some way to quickly, easily do it in windows movie maker, or hand me some non-crappy program that ideally will be free.
03-05-2009 at 05:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Video Editors, And Stunningly Basic Questions (+2)  
Banjooie wrote:
So! Either give me some way to quickly, easily do it in windows movie maker, or hand me some non-crappy program that ideally will be free.
Unless you really need something GUI-y I'd recommend AviSynth in conjunction with VirtualDub - it has got it's own scripting language that isn't XML! ;)

A mixture of AviSource, ImageSource, ApplyRange, one of the many resize filters and Overlay (all built-in filters of AviSynth) should do it:
function ShowImage(clip video, clip image, int startFrame, int endFrame, int x, int y)
{
  video.ApplyRange(startFrame,endFrame,"Overlay",image,x,y)
}

video=AviSource("foo.avi")
image1=ImageSource("image1.png")
image2=ImageSource("image2.png")
#...

video=video.ShowImage(image1.GaussResize(320,240),100,200,50,100)
video=video.ShowImage(image2.GaussResize(360,250),200,400,100,200)
#...

return video
I think you get the idea - though I take no responsibility for any and all syntax errors left in the above code; the documentation that comes with AviSynth should help sort that out... ;)

(If your images have transparency you'll have to use "image.ShowAlpha()" for Overlay's "mask" parameter...)

[Last edited by Briareos at 03-05-2009 09:00 AM]
03-05-2009 at 08:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
icon Re: Video Editors, And Stunningly Basic Questions (0)  
...while I'm willing to learn a scripting language I find it utterly baffling that what I'm looking for, 'adding a picture to a movie for a number of frames' is that difficult.
03-05-2009 at 10:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Banjooie wrote:
...while I'm willing to learn a scripting language I find it utterly baffling that what I'm looking for, 'adding a picture to a movie for a number of frames' is that difficult.
It isn't if you don't demand "good quality".

At least that's the part which most commercial apps seem to have a problem with...

(I might be biased towards AviSynth, of course... :P)

[Last edited by Briareos at 03-05-2009 11:17 AM]
03-05-2009 at 11:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
...Define 'good quality', sir, you have me intrigued.
03-05-2009 at 12:51 PM
Briareos
Banjooie wrote:
...Define 'good quality', sir, you have me intrigued.
Ummm...

High-quality resizing and deinterlacing?

Overlaying in RGB or YUV colorspace with automatic high-quality conversion between those, but only where neccessary?

Lots of filters to improve and tweak the image quality of your video?

No intermediate lossy compression because all processing is done on-the-fly?

03-05-2009 at 02:21 PM
Banjooie
I can do without a lot of that.

See, the trick here is I can use the crap program, not compress the AVI /at all/, and then run it through the good program for the resizing, awesomesauce compression etc.
03-07-2009 at 06:51 AM
Briareos
Banjooie wrote:
I can do without a lot of that.

See, the trick here is I can use the crap program, not compress the AVI /at all/, and then run it through the good program for the resizing, awesomesauce compression etc.
Well, I gave you an option. But this really isn't a forum for video processing/editing/compression - if you've got any further questions I'd strongly recommend the forum at doom9.org...

np: Subway - Satellites (Soul Jazz Records Singles 2006-2007 (Disc 1))

03-07-2009 at 10:59 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Video Editors, And Stunningly Basic Questions (Or, ITT Banj makes srs thread)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com