Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Changesum the barsum to showsum the F&M making progress. FRsum.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
IP: Logged
icon Changesum the barsum to showsum the F&M making progress. FRsum. (0)  
Just RPG was released months ago.
02-08-2009 at 01:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
icon Re: Changesum the barsum to showsum the F&M making progress. FRsum. (0)  
13th Slayer wrote:
I'm sure it's still useful for indicating that it's been released, for people who aren't regular. Also, last thing I knew F&M wasn't being worked on anyway.
02-08-2009 at 01:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
AtkinsSJ wrote:
13th Slayer wrote:
I'm sure it's still useful for indicating that it's been released, for people who aren't regular. Also, last thing I knew F&M wasn't being worked on anyway.
Then what is the thing they are working on?
02-08-2009 at 03:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
13th Slayer wrote:
AtkinsSJ wrote:
13th Slayer wrote:
Then what is the thing they are working on?
I believe the DROD team is currently working on one (or two) Smitemaster's Selection(s) of some kind. DROD 4.0 may start after that.

02-08-2009 at 03:50 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
agaricus5 wrote:
I believe the DROD team is currently working on one (or two) Smitemaster's Selection(s) of some kind. DROD 4.0 may start after that.
And bugfixes, of course.

Also, I don't think that DROD is a full-time job for Mike...

np: Joy Division - The Only Mistake (Unknown Pleasures Extras)

02-08-2009 at 04:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: Changesum the barsum to showsum the F&M making progress. FRsum. (+1)  
Sure, I'll change the bar to advertise the SmS coming up. We have about all the voice work complete now, so I'll try to coordinate wrapping everything up this month.

You're right that I now need to find time to work on DROD on evenings and weekends, after the day job and family-with-kids time. And I'm also handling all the customer support and web/marketing/contractual-type initiatives that Erik spearheaded before, so time leftover for development is quite slim. I fear I'm a developer turned bureaucrat.

I'm interested in recruiting people who have the skills to help out on our future projects. For instance, if there are aspiring or established programmers out there who want to help fix bugs and/or add new features to DROD 4.0, and are pretty sure they have the skills necessary and are self-motivated to knock tasks off to-do lists, you're welcome to apply to join the Caravel team. We can discuss compensation if you're seriously interested in helping with project deliverables.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-08-2009 10:45 PM]
02-08-2009 at 10:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Clicking on it still brings up RPG stuff.

Of course, that could be deliberate...;)

02-08-2009 at 11:38 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Actually, it's quite non-deliberate (I think) - speaking as one of the people who is helping out with it, I believe it's OK to say that the Winter 2009 Smitemasters' Selections does not have any DROD: RPG holds in it.

However, as has been brought up in previous Watch the Bar threads, time spent working on the bar is time spent not working on other Caravel stuff.

02-09-2009 at 12:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
IIRC, silver used to handle the bar quotes, right?

Hmmm, everybody's gone poof... and we're realizing this more and more as more people return... I still can't get over ErikH2000 leaving. Man!
I hope all these people come back to visit soon, too.

Somehow I expected this forum to be a static community when I first visited. My logic was that a smaller community doesn't change as much. It was foolish to assume nobody significant would leave, but that's kind of what kept me coming back here, much moreso than DROD; nowhere else can I be in a place full of people without struggling to interpret others' body language and having to control my own. It makes me sad to see it change.

You can't do anything about it. Interests change, and you can't force people to stay in a community about a game they aren't playing any more. But it still upsets me. There's no denying the fact that I take change very seriously. It throws me off, and stuff I once understood suddenly no longer applies. The game Final Fantasy VI was a bit more of a roller coaster for me than for most, and the hold Entropy is proving to be the same.
After I played Mother 3 (another game where change is a significant theme), I thought I came to peace with the concept; I thought I stopped seeing change as the loss of what I know, and started seeing it as an opportunity to see an old world in a new light.

So I'm disappointed in myself that I'm now crying just because some people have stopped posting. I don't know anyone here very intimately... some were no more than a name and an avatar to the left of each post to me. And there's new people in their place, too.
Why must it upset me so much?

Well, I feel a little better now. I think I needed to vent.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 02-09-2009 02:44 AM]
02-09-2009 at 02:36 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Changesum the barsum to showsum the F&M making progress. FRsum. (+1)  
Warning: A derailment is forecast for the 28247 to The Site. I apologise for any delays this might cause.

Click here to view the secret text

And back on the topic of the bar, I wonder why it's being so quiet? I still haven't seen the Deadly Bar of Death's oratory skills in action (despite the lack of an appropriate orifice).

02-09-2009 at 11:17 AM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
agaricus5 wrote:
And back on the topic of the bar, I wonder why it's being so quiet? I still haven't seen the Deadly Bar of Death's oratory skills in action (despite the lack of an appropriate orifice).
Wow, I didn't even know sklee existed. Reading through the bars 19 short posts I just couldn't stop laughing, awesome!

02-09-2009 at 10:41 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I think I have to derail a little bit after reading some of Wesley's and Kwakstur's comments.

Click here to view the secret text

And back to the topic,
Chaco wrote:
However, as has been brought up in previous Watch the Bar threads, time spent working on the bar is time spent not working on other Caravel stuff.
On the other hand, "marketing" is just as important. Back in the ancient past there's this thing called Illumination that Caravel used to inform its customers, but nowadays it's mainly filled with game related news. Even the news marquee(?) ingame or the fan site doesn't get updated vey often. That means that Caravel have to use some other means to say that they are working on something, and I don't really want to read every little post by Mike to understand what he's up to...

02-10-2009 at 03:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Changesum the barsum to showsum the F&M making progress. FRsum.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com