Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : The New Creation, 2nd half
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Connoraustin
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
IP: Logged

File: The New Creation 2nd Half Version 1 3.drh (34.1 KB)
Downloaded 70 times.
License: Public Domain
icon The New Creation, 2nd half (0)  
My second hold, and not completely finished yet. Only 1st-3rd levels completed yet, 4th is started, and hard to predict how far in so far.

Hope you like it.

Version 1.2

Ferryman is fixed. Now you cannot go in until you run out of greckles (in multiples of 20). Also I have made a little addition to level 4. Still not coplete yet, but still...

Version 1.3

All of the overwhelmingly right problems that you have found, I have added. BTW the room at 1N6W is meant to 'not be' as it were. I have now got all of it fixed in Version 1.3 of 'The New Creation 2nd Half'.

[Last edited by Connoraustin at 02-02-2009 06:10 PM : Upload 1.3]
01-31-2009 at 05:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bdwing
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 288
icon Re: The New Creation, 2nd half (0)  
When I enter North of Facility grounds (Cut scene) a second time, the game locks up and I have to start over from the beginning (or from my last quicksave).

"Until it ends, there is no end."
02-01-2009 at 12:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Connoraustin
?????
What do you mean, Second time in the cut scene?

What room was that?

EDIT1: Oh THAT cutscene. The one with the ferryman, right?

[Last edited by Connoraustin at 02-01-2009 12:45 PM]
02-01-2009 at 12:32 PM
Gordius
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 91
I had that happen, too.

Also, the other ferryman (on the single square ferry in 5N1E) will lock up if you move diagonally off the raft at the exit or if you move all the way to the right, but your sword covers the raft as you step off.

And the rightmost tunnel in that room allows you to come in as many times as you want, but you can only leave through that tunnel once.
02-02-2009 at 12:47 AM
Connoraustin
What level is this second ferryman. I don't remember putting in another one.

<20 seconds later>

I've just checked and there is no second ferryman as far as I know.

02-02-2009 at 10:28 AM
Gordius
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 91
Connoraustin wrote:
What level is this second ferryman. I don't remember putting in another one.

<20 seconds later>

I've just checked and there is no second ferryman as far as I know.

Maybe you're not calling him a ferryman, but 2:5N1E has a guy who moves the platform you just opened a greckle door to use back to where it started. It has the same net effect as the ferryman, regardless of what you're calling it. And he's subject to the problems I described in the earlier post.
02-03-2009 at 11:54 AM
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
Nuntar wrote:
I am, however, deeply unimpressed by the "find the one correct way to proceed" style of design. A choice very early on between taking an ATK gem before getting the sword or not doing so should make a difference to my score, possibly make the hold harder to complete, but should not force a restart and playing the entire level again.
I'm not very impressed with Nuntar's remark here. For me, on the other hand, sounds like that you are imitating the way it is done in Tendry's Tale, especially in Rule 6, but parts of that hold is "find the one way" and sometimes it's okay.

Completionists won't like it that an optimal route requires leaving some rooms unvisited, although the fact that greckles don't add to your score mitigates this.
That's simply not true. Real completionists will try to visit every rooms anyway whether it requires a restart or not. For example, I know many people who play Pokemon who really restarts a game to get all the monsters. What's the point of a hold if there is no choice at all in between choosing which room you should visit?

What's the point of a choice between fighting three wraithwings and losing 30 greckles or fighting three evil eyes and losing 30 greckles? There must be some advantage to choosing the harder fight, or there's no choice.
This is just as a choice as every other, the only difference is that this choice is more obvious.

It's not much fun to drop all of a large block of trapdoors. Make there be some puzzle to it.
On the other hand, I thought he wrote somewhere that this isn't a puzzle game but only a game with some choices, and I doubt putting a puzzle in there doesn't make that room any better.

Don't punish the player. Write it on your wall in letters of blood if it helps you remember. An example of punishing the player is this: Level 3 starts with a tough fight against four monsters, necessary to kill to make any progress; there is no way to amass the needed HP or stats if you don't have them already; the bonuses you need to survive the fight are at the beginning of Level 2 (so the player has to remember to make the trek back); and once you enter Level 3 there's a gate that prevents any backtracking.
It's not really punishing. Just put a savepoint before the gate just like every other normal DROD hold and no-one complains about it anymore.

Some of the harder-to-reach rooms should have been secrets
He meant "hidden".

Overall, I think this hold has a lot of potential, but currently the flaws tend to get in the way of appreciating the hold's good points.
I agree with that, although most of what he mentioned didn't sound like flaws to me.

I considered the possibility after I'd written the entry on evil eyes in the DAA Architect's Handbook but didn't want to change the pristine unedited state of my posts.
I never trust holds on this board if it's the very first version, but now it seems that I shouldn't trust be trusting text that hasn't been edited yet. ;) But I will probably be playing the next version.

[Last edited by Tim at 02-03-2009 01:28 PM]
02-03-2009 at 01:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Since I somehow become very busy lately, I'll just keep it short.
Nuntar wrote:
I'm only trying to help the author improve his hold here.
I know what you are trying to do. I'm only just trying to help you to improve your way of expression here.

What you think of it, is up to you.

02-06-2009 at 01:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
I've finally have the chance to play this.

The most important thing is that all your scripts only work once.

Another problem is the monsters at the start of Glorthorred. The monsters are so hard there, that when you've killed them the rest of the game became easy (probably because you're very strong by then, but it can also be that the monsters become easy from that point.)

I think it's about time you post a completely finishable hold that you've tested and finished by yourself, before I check this again.

If you have problems with scripting you can try asking on the forum.

02-09-2009 at 12:04 AM
Tim
By the way, even though I'm not too sure what the current rules are with image walls, but I think it's probably better if you don't use images from DROD RPG as image walls.

02-16-2009 at 11:33 AM
Vike91
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 229
If there were an autosaving point in begin of Glorthorred, i wouldn't had to restart the whole hold again.

02-19-2009 at 01:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Connoraustin
I'm afraid that I cannot continue with this hold any more. My computer with the version of DROD RPG died, and so I had to get a new one.

My new version of DROD RPG (I had the setup file on my memory stick. Don't ask why) does not count as the creater, and as I set the hold to 'self and conquerors' editability I can no longer edit this as there is no exit stairs to end the hold.

I am an absolute idiot :weep :weep :weep

[Last edited by Connoraustin at 03-24-2009 07:18 PM]
03-24-2009 at 07:17 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1226
Your work might not be lost, Connoraustin. I know CuriousShyRabbit (and maybe others) has a little program that lets her change hold IDs, so you can edit them again. If you ask her nicely, she might be able to help you out.

EDIT: Double post :)

[Last edited by slimm tom at 03-24-2009 07:58 PM]
03-24-2009 at 07:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tim
icon Re: The New Creation, 2nd half (+1)  
We HAs can do a lot more than you think. :)

Anyone edit version here.

Let me know when you have downloaded it, and I will remove it.

03-24-2009 at 08:12 PM
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Tim wrote:
We HAs can do a lot more than you think. :)

Anyone edit version here.

Let me know when you have downloaded it, and I will remove it.
I'm wondering, when the architect makes an edit to it and an editable copy is produced, is there any indication of it being somebody else's hold that can't be removed?

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 03-28-2009 11:46 PM : disambiguation]
03-25-2009 at 01:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1226
Kwakstur wrote:
I'm wondering, when he makes an edit to it and an editable copy is produced, is there any indication of it being somebody else's hold that he can't remove?
No, all mentions can be removed by himself.
03-25-2009 at 02:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Connoraustin
Thank you!

I am going to try to finish the 4th level soon. Then I will be taking another break from this anyway, to continue another project I have for DROD RPG.

03-28-2009 at 09:53 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : The New Creation, 2nd half
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No