Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Stalwart's March II (Update 1)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
IP: Logged

File: Stalwarts March II.drh (6.3 KB)
Downloaded 76 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Stalwart's March II (+1)  
This isn't ready yet!

Only 2 levels! Let's continue story of stalwart,named to Guy!

Tell me what should I do! :)

[Last edited by The Architest at 01-30-2009 11:00 AM]
01-24-2009 at 02:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2505
icon Re: Stalwart's March II (+1)  
I love spikes. They definetily have RPG puzzle potential. Good job making them. :)

However, you didn't fully use their potential. Also, you made quite few choices. I'm glad that you're starting to include them(I'm looking at 1S 1E now). You really should include more later. Try to do some choices with spikes. Say, player can choose between paying 10 greckles and moving through hot tiles or moving through a lot of(~5-6) spikes. Player will need a lot of HP to make spike choice better.

And enemies should be stronger(when more choices are made). For example, spiders, roach queens, mud babies, some kind of custom monster...

[Last edited by mxvladi at 01-26-2009 06:12 PM]
01-24-2009 at 08:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Architest
icon Re: Stalwart's March II (0)  
I try make better choices! ;)

Also,next level will have spikes! And first level isn't even ready yet! It will be more bigger! :D
01-24-2009 at 08:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1055
Just two quick points:

1. Add a score checkpoint the end of the first level
2. Don't yellow doors on the edges of rooms. Let us visit the room first to see if we want to use a key.

01-25-2009 at 10:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neathro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
Well... I think it's 1N1E looks like something unfinished. What's a tar gate doing there? Anyway, tar gate intended? Portable orb, or wall walking, or something?

Actually, I've just realised that's a bit silly - there's a HOOK on the other side. On level 1? :?
Meh, ignore. I'll edit this post a lot when I know which room it is, since I'm posting from a vague memory.

Oh yeah, the overall rating? Nice but linear. Certainly better than anything I could make, but it's not really brilliant. 7/10. Not too hard, not too easy. I can already see a couple of spare items - that yellow key in 1E isn't useful for anything at the moment.

And I found the secret. It was well hidden. I didn't find it till I poked the wall by mistake... :P Interesting choice in there. Defence or health, hmm...

Edit: Can't get on again properly tonight, maybe tomorrow...

[Last edited by Neathro at 01-26-2009 11:26 PM]
01-26-2009 at 10:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Architest

File: Stalwarts March II.drh (6.3 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
License: Public Domain
Thanks everybody! Sorry about that this isn't updated! I am waiting for 1.2 patch! (Vista sucks because it can't download it!)

Here is update to hold :

-You can go to the next level and back to previous one!

[Last edited by The Architest at 01-30-2009 10:59 AM]
01-30-2009 at 10:59 AM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Neathro wrote:
Well... I think it's 1N1E looks like something unfinished. What's a tar gate doing there? Anyway, tar gate intended? Portable orb, or wall walking, or something?

Well, I guess that player will be able to open then by entering the room from right stairs(when this is possible i.e. in later versions).

Actually, I've just realised that's a bit silly - there's a HOOK on the other side. On level 1? :?

Well, there's RBS in second part of Tendry's Tale in one of the first levels. But it doesn't mean that you can get it immediately ;)

And I found the secret. It was well hidden. I didn't find it till I poked the wall by mistake... :P Interesting choice in there. Defence or health, hmm...

So far it's very obvious that DEF should be taken. Player has enough HP initally.

Now about new version of the hold:

Since you force player to change short sword to wooden one when player meets oremites, there should be an inventory. If you can't make an inventory, contact Someone Else(I mean username).

It's impossible to escape from Thorn Fort 1S 2E after getting blue key. Unless I'm mising something.

In Thorn Fort 2S 1E, a goblin is guarding only one DEF bonus. Killing the GOBLIN even with goblin-biter for only one DEF bonus... well... player isn't going to do that. Unless high DEF is required or unless goblin will give zero(or close to zero) damage which will only happen in later levels.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 01-30-2009 02:16 PM]
01-30-2009 at 02:12 PM
Gordius
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 91
I disagree with mxvladi about the inventory. Forcing you to leave the sword on the other side of the hot tile makes players give thought to when it's appropriate to go back and swap. However, if you're going to need the wooden on later levels, you should give players some means of swapping back and forth (or swapping with a different weapon) that doesn't involve hiking all the way back here every time.

I agree with him on everything else. The blue key plate closes the right-side mud baby door (which is already closed). I think you intended to have it open it.
01-31-2009 at 01:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Solaris
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
The biggest problem was on level 2 1S 2E the pressure plate at the top doesn't open both tar doors and you can't get back out.

Some things I didn't see a use for (like the hook on level one or the wraithwing on the pressure plate in level two) but those could be for later use. The hold wasn't very hard and was rather straight forward.

Also on the idea of an inventory I think that leaving it behind the hot tile would make the player think more about when the player switched but it may also be tedious.

02-03-2009 at 01:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Architest
I won't work on this anymore. I start playing normal DROD again , and don't feel to make any RPG Holds right now. Sorry!
03-15-2009 at 07:14 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Stalwart's March II (Update 1)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com