Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : PC Logic Games mention of DROD RPG
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
jdyer
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 329
IP: Logged
icon PC Logic Games mention of DROD RPG (+2)  
http://logicgames.blogspot.com/2008/12/2008-game-of-year.html

Not as exciting as it sounds, because Jimmy gives the Game of the Year award to nobody because he's grumpy about everybody. But DROD RPG ends up in the Runner-Up list.

So, why is it not the game of the year? The RPG elements in the game are lacking. Somehow it should be a better game. The relative lack on fan generated levels is also telling. But ultimately, I have unfairly high expectations for any game with DROD in the title.

I confess I agree with him about World of Goo. The exact moment the game lost me was Mom's Computer -- _what_ were they thinking?
12-31-2008 at 01:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: PC Logic Games mention of DROD RPG (0)  
I think that World of Goo should have tied with DROD RPG. After all, World of Goo has a fan-made editor now, and I've wasted more time on that editor than on DROD RPG since the day I bought it.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

12-31-2008 at 03:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
I think that World of Goo should have tied with DROD RPG. After all, World of Goo has a fan-made editor now, and I've wasted more time on that editor than on DROD RPG since the day I bought it.
I too, think that should be the case. WOG is outright genius. I haven't fiddled with the WOG Editor just yet, but maybe I will in the future.
12-31-2008 at 03:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
There is certanly not a lack of fan generated levels :P They are just not oficially posted yet, and I hope they will be soonish.
12-31-2008 at 11:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
"The relative lack on fan generated levels is also telling."
I suppose it would be telling if the game had been released longer than just a few months ago, as I'm assuming it takes quite a while to develop a decent hold—even if you know what you're doing.
01-01-2009 at 12:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Hey, cool! I appreciate the kind mention of DROD RPG as "runner up". :) (But...aww...was Chocolate Castle *really* that much more gripping than RPG that it earned a "real" award?) I agree that the RPG elements *could* have been stronger, but our plan was to save those for 2.0. So, with 1.x, players would have time to get used to the playstyle without juggling twenty million variables in their head, i.e., not slam into a too-steep learning curve when getting into a challenging puzzle game like this one.

I agree with you guys that we shouldn't expect too many fan-made holds out yet since, well, mostly because HAs are holding off on general promotion of holds until Schik has the score system rock solid. He has hinted it might be out soon. I think there are a lot of great works on the RPG Architecture board and more in beta. So I say, "Keep up the awesome work!"

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-06-2009 02:19 AM]
01-04-2009 at 05:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Well, mrimer, there's always room for the later blog post 'Oh my GOD they updated it', you know? Even if you don't get the prize just yet.

01-04-2009 at 09:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : PC Logic Games mention of DROD RPG
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com