Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Advanced Concepts : Advanced Brain Movement : 1 West (A noob question)
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2384
IP: Logged
icon Advanced Concepts : Advanced Brain Movement : 1 West (0)  
This may be covered later on, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Click here to view the secret text

I've solved the room. When the roach hits the pressure plate at (1), why does it then go north several times? If the brain to its west is a brain-invisible obstacle (the door is open), shouldn't it try to go west in order to minimize the distance? (Or oscillate north and south?) To the brain, going north to (2) would seem to keep the distance the same.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 12-17-2008 04:36 PM]
12-17-2008 at 04:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: Advanced Concepts : Advanced Brain Movement : 1 West (0)  
It does try to go West, but it can't (because the invisible obstacle is there).

Since going North doesn't increase the amount of distance between the roach and the target, the roach heads North.

(There's a *lot* of explanation of brained preferences and their effects in this level. Keep exploring.)

12-17-2008 at 07:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Chaco wrote:
It does try to go West, but it can't (because the invisible obstacle is there).

Since going North doesn't increase the amount of distance between the roach and the target, the roach heads North.

(There's a *lot* of explanation of brained preferences and their effects in this level. Keep exploring.)
OK thanks; I think it's actually switching to unbrained behavior though, because it could not move west. Yes?

Will keep going...

12-18-2008 at 03:39 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
disoriented wrote:
OK thanks; I think it's actually switching to unbrained behavior though, because it could not move west. Yes?

Will keep going...

No, it would only switch to unbrained behavior if one of the following were true:

A. There was no longer a brained path from it to Beethro
B. All the moves tried under brained preferences would take it further away from Beethro
C. The brain ordered the roach to Wait (which will be covered later in the hold)

The roach is still brained; it just wasn't able to go to its most preferred square.

[Last edited by Chaco at 12-18-2008 10:51 AM]
12-18-2008 at 10:50 AM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: Advanced Concepts : Advanced Brain Movement : 1 West (+1)  
Chaco wrote:
No, it would only switch to unbrained behavior if one of the following were true:

A. There was no longer a brained path from it to Beethro
B. All the moves tried under brained preferences would take it further away from Beethro
C. The brain ordered the roach to Wait (which will be covered later in the hold)
B isn't true, actually. It's *usually* the case due to C - a square that is further away from Beethro would have less priority than Wait, which would naturally be closer. But if the tile the roach is on is a Brain-Visible Obstacle itself, then Wait would no longer be a brained option. The western chamber of ABM:2S demonstrates this.

Anyways, you can often tell whether a roach is brained or not by looking at the way they're facing: they will face the way they've chosen to move. In the situation described in the opening post, the roach would be facing N, not NW towards the player, which indicates that a brained move was used. Of course, if the brained move matches an unbrained direction, then you won't be able to use this, but it helps in many different situations.
12-18-2008 at 12:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
I wonder if this would be a good enhancement to DROD: right-click a monster shows whether it is brained or not. It might be useful especially if the monster is constantly switching back and forth.

12-18-2008 at 03:45 PM
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
Or right-clicking a monster shows it's next n moves (you can set n in the settings panel) if the room otherwise maintains it's exact same state.
12-18-2008 at 05:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
dart193
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
I can't solve upper part right now. Any hints?
02-07-2009 at 08:13 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Well, you need to put mirrors in the way of the roach. Remember that it'll always choose NW instead of SW.
02-07-2009 at 08:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
neveragain
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23

The section of the room marked at 1 looks impossible. I need help with the entire area of that room. I cannot get the pressure plates activated.
07-08-2009 at 03:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
There are two concepts you need to use in this section.

1. Brains themselves are brain-invisible obstacles. A brain pathmap goes straight through brain-invisible obstacles, so a brained monster may walk right up to a brain, expecting to walk through it! Yellow doors, on the other hand, are brain-visible obstacles. A brain pathmap never goes through a closed yellow door. Review the lesson in 3W for this.

2. Brained monsters take the shortest path to you. In determining which of several equally short paths to use, the movement preferences are: N, W, E, S, wait, NW, NE, SW, SE. Review the lesson in 2W for this. In short, it means a brained monster prefers orthogonal movement to diagonal movement whenever it has a choice.

So how it works in the section you're asking about...

Hopefully, that's enough to get you going... :)

[Last edited by CuriousShyRabbit at 07-08-2009 03:43 AM]
07-08-2009 at 03:42 AM
neveragain
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
It was. :D
07-08-2009 at 04:05 AM
Thelas
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
Okay. Wow.
The only section I can get right is the second from the top. Everything else... help?
[Yeah, I know, I probably shouldn't be doing this yet, but I finished the first Brained Movement...]
Thelas
09-15-2009 at 02:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
Unless you have a more specific question, I'd suggest going back to spend more time replaying 3W and 2W. Those rooms are deceptively quick and easy to pass through. You need to spend time studying the densely packed information there, as it will all be used in your solution to 1W.
09-15-2009 at 06:03 AM
Thelas
Okay, specific question time: how do you get past the left half of the top puzzle? I only used one mirror on the right half, so the left half has two to work with.

How do you get the roach not stuck in the bottom section after hitting the 21,25 pressure plate?

How do you get the second-bottom section roach to hit the 25,19 pressure plate instead of skipping it with diagonals?

Thelas
09-15-2009 at 11:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mxvladi
how do you get past the left half of the top puzzle? I only used one mirror on the right half, so the left half has two to work with.

How do you get the roach not stuck in the bottom section after hitting the 21,25 pressure plate?

I'd say you should re-read scroll in the bottom part of the room. It's a very good hint how to do that.(otherwise I could post spoiler, but that won't be fun for you to solve :()

How do you get the second-bottom section roach to hit the 25,19 pressure plate instead of skipping it with diagonals?

[Last edited by mxvladi at 09-15-2009 11:23 PM]
09-15-2009 at 11:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Thelas
Second-to-bottom part solved, thanks.
Top part update: no dice. Can you give me the position of one of the mirrors? (or if that's too big a hint, a square that is adjacent to one of the mirrors?)

Bottom part update: I can force the roach to hit three of the plates, but I don't see how to get it onto 21,29.

Thelas
09-15-2009 at 11:41 PM
mxvladi
Top part update: no dice. Can you give me the position of one of the mirrors? (or if that's too big a hint, a square that is adjacent to one of the mirrors?)

Bottom part update: I can force the roach to hit three of the plates, but I don't see how to get it onto 21,29.

09-16-2009 at 12:38 AM
Thelas
Top part solved.
Bottom part solved. So why am I still posting?
I didn't realize the roach had missed the very leftmost pressure plate in the second-bottom one.
*Tries about 10 times*
YES. YES. YEEEEEES!
I solved it, in case you can't tell! Thanks for all the help, now on to the next part of Advanced Brain Movement.

Thelas
09-16-2009 at 02:15 AM
Godot23
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 114
Ok, cannot get it. Demo please? :wavecry: I want to get it, but I guess I need to see it in order to make it work.

My house is on fire
04-30-2013 at 06:11 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228

File: AC Advanced Brain Movement 1W Victory.demo (4.7 KB)
Downloaded 83 times.
License: Public Domain
Here's my (very inefficient) demo.
05-01-2013 at 05:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Godot23
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 114
That did it! Thanks!

My house is on fire
05-01-2013 at 10:03 PM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Advanced Concepts : Advanced Brain Movement : 1 West (A noob question)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com