Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Undo doesn't remember changing game vars
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
rman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 371
IP: Logged
icon Undo doesn't remember changing game vars (0)  
You playtest a room and you change a game variable (using F4). For example, you set _Accessory = 8 (to get a portable orb). Then you do something that would be impossible if you didn't change the game var. For example, you open a door with that portable orb and move through. Then you undo.

All the game variables return to the value that you would get on the last move that is possible without changing the game vars. And you return to that move, of course. That's kinda strange.

To make it more clear, try this. Build a room with a door. Then start playtesting. Get a portable orb by changing the _Accessory var to 8. Now open the door and stand on it. Now step off it and move around the room for some time. And now try to undo.

Best quote ever (TSS ending spoiler):
Click here to view the secret text

12-07-2008 at 09:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Undo doesn't remember changing game vars (+1)  
I think that one's by design...

np: Miwon - Shinkansen (A To B)

[Last edited by Briareos at 12-07-2008 10:08 AM]
12-07-2008 at 10:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Yup, F4 variable changes are not recorded in demostate. And because the game uses demostate to undo, this breaks undo. I don't know if they plan on changing this or why they consider it to be the intended behavior, but it sure is annoying. Mike says that there was a past discussion on this, but I can't find it. I tried doing a search for "F4" in the message body on all boards and couldn't find any such discussion.:glare

The best explanation I can offer is that adding play-test var changes to demostate is counterproductive. The amount by which it increases replay size and slows down undos might be considerable, especially just to incorporate a feature only used in play-testing. And this data could potentially be hacked to boost CNet scores.
But I'm not Mike. Er... well, I'm not Mike Rimer.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 12-08-2008 01:12 AM]
12-08-2008 at 01:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
Kwakstur wrote:
Mike says that there was a past discussion on this, but I can't find it. I tried doing a search for "F4" in the message body on all boards and couldn't find any such discussion.:glare
Link

I think perhaps it's time for a FR to remove F4 in the next version.

12-08-2008 at 01:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Undo doesn't remember changing game vars
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com